PROPOSED CANADA POST RATE CHANGES

I thought I'd post a main thread to the proposed Canada Post rate changes. It looks like there are major changes on the horizon affecting oversized lettermail and perhaps other services which will impact us eBay sellers.

This is one more devastating blow to the shrinking profits we have seen over the years due to higher selling & shipping costs and a weak US dollar.

On a personal level the writing is on the wall for me. This is no longer a profitable venue and I will likely move onto other things within the next year or two. In the meantime, I have a huge inventory to move and will have to adapt as best as I can with these new changes.

Here's the Canada Post Announcement:

http://www.canadapost.ca/corporate/about/newsroom/pr/default-e.asp?prid=1299

Please note the following:

"Detailed information on the regulated rates and other proposed rate changes is available in the Canada Gazette Part 1. Canadians have 60 days in which to make representations to the Minister Responsible for Canada Post regarding the proposed rate increases on regulated products."

Here's eBay's Announcement:

(follow the links within the announcement to get more detailed information)

http://www2.ebay.com/aw/ca/200806261659572.html

From Ebay's general announcement on 26 June, 2008 | 17:00:

"These changes will impact eBay sellers who use Canada Post’s Oversize Lettermail service to send items within Canada that are thick and rigid, or thick and have box-like edges. Items that would be defined as Irregular Oversize Lettermail include: media discs sent in standard CD, DVD or Blu-ray cases; hard cover books; or trading cards in protective plastic casings."

One thing I find curious about this announcement is that there is no mention of how this will affect international rates. I'm sure most of us sell mainly to a US based market so it would be of uppermost importance for us to know how this will impact us.

How about using this thread to share any new information regarding the changes and bounce around some ideas on how to best adapt to this?
Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi craftycatsattic,

I just posted the answer to your question in the thread on Light Packets.

The new changes WILL NOT affect Other Letter or Light Packet to the States or other international destinations in January of 2009. Items shipped in those categories will not have to worry about bending or not bending!

The new rates and rules are ONLY for shipping within Canada.

Hope this helps a bit,
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Thank you, thank you! Well that is great news...for now (forgive my skepticism but there have been so many setbacks, I keep waiting for the next shoe to drop).

Thankfully that will only affect a small percentage of my customer base and the ones that were already paying the least for shipping.

I also noticed that items under 1cm can be sent with cardbard so most of my single item purchases will still be immune to the hike.

Phew!
Message 3 of 12
latest reply

The sun rises in the east every morning, and Canada Post raises its rates every year. Its something that some one in a mail order business has to learn to accept( although I grumble a lot about it).
Message 4 of 12
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi fatdane,

You are so right. However, it's sad that when I ship to packages in Other Letter...one to the States and one within Canada starting in January or 2009...that Canadians will be paying more than Americans for the exact same package.

We'll all adjust! Just takes time!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 5 of 12
latest reply

facestation
Community Member
all i have to say is ungreatful cheap bas****s
Message 6 of 12
latest reply

faerywishes
Community Member
I Think I'll have to order new stickers. Instead of "Do Not Bend" I'll use "For Canada Post Sorting Employees, This can bend, BUT DO NOT BEND". ]:)
Message 7 of 12
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Colleen,

How are you going to ship your boxed chipboard? I'm not able to do what you are doing now for as cheap as you do...but will it affect how you ship them?

Susan
Message 8 of 12
latest reply

One thing I find curious about this announcement is that there is no mention of how this will affect international rates.

It has no impact! These basic rules are already in place for International shipments (specifically: only paper allowed in Standard Letterpost both regular and oversize) it's called Light Packet.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
Canada Post is very constrained on what it can,and can't do, when it to rate increases.
So- they have chosen to tinker where they can- by narrowly defining the classifications for each category of mail- and then attempting to enforce those restrictions/criteria for that category of mail.

The problem in the past is far too many items have been included as LETTER POST- when by definition they items are not. And, as storage media changes, and many items are becoming smaller- the tendency for even smaller packages becoming nothing more than an "envelope" is a very real threat to the Canada Post revenue stream.

I.E. BETA CASSETTE- leads 12" Criterion DISC - back to a VHS cassette, leading to DVD, then to a memory stick, the size of a piece of chewing gum.
The trend is toward small packages.
In the US- it's been the VOLUME that has kept them going- as letter writing, and bill paying by post, all become a thing of the past. e-mail/electronic payment anyone?
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

faerywishes
Community Member
Hiya Susan
Most of my chipboard sells to US or International buyers and I use the Light Packet. I think the changes are for Letter Mail for Canada aren't they? If I'm reading things right I can still mail within Canada as a Irregular Oversize Lettermail. Which will increase the postage but not by much. I think about a dollar. But again I don't seem to sell many of those in Canada. Luckily I have never had one returned by Canada Post for incorrect shipping. I have had others and I have no idea why and when I take them back to the post office the clerks don't either...lol.

I think we should just send all the purchases to our buyers as holograms or whatever they are called and we would never have shipping worries. 😛 Less things in our home...we can just take our friends to our computer and show them our treasures there...lol.

I really wish Canada Post would come up with something reasonable for scrapbooking paper. I use to have lots in my store but not any more...too costly to sell.

Colleen
Message 11 of 12
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Colleen,

I agree with you 100%! I've taken all of the paper out of my eBay store and will move it off site. To state shipping for one piece...for sure the listing would be pulled due to excessive shipping when both you and I know it's actual shipping!

Perhaps in the year 3008 there will be a way to press a button and magically have the items appear elsewhere....like on Star Trek!

Beam my package here!

Here's wishing you a great week in selling!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 12 of 12
latest reply