PURCHASED AN ITEM AS GIFT. SENT TO CANADA. DO I NEED TO FILE ANY CUSTOMS FORM IN THE RECEIVER NAME?

lwoyt66
Community Member

I PURCHASED AN INTERNATIONAL ITEM AS A GIFT FOR A FAMILY MEMBER. DO I NEED TO FILE A CUSTOM FORM IN THE RECEIVER'S NAME ?  I AM UNSURE IF IT WAS MARKED AS A GIFT.  IT WAS SENT WITHOUT TRACKING SO HOW DO I ESTIMATE THE IMPORT CHARGES /TAXES /DUTIES ?  I DO NOT KNOW WHO THE CANADIAN CARRIER WILL BE.

Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

PURCHASED AN ITEM AS GIFT. SENT TO CANADA. DO I NEED TO FILE ANY CUSTOMS FORM IN THE RECEIVER NAME?

No.

Would you prefer the long answer?

The seller when she sent the parcel would attach a customs label.

When the parcel reaches the border, if the value is over $20, CBSA will calculate the appropriate duty and tax. Canada Post will add a service charge of $9.95. These import fees will be paid by your friend on his doorstep.

However, CBSA and Canada Post have also realized that reckoning and collecting taxes on low value items is a waste of their time and taxpayers' money, so most parcels valued under $100 and not overly large are just waved through.

However. Again.

If you purchased an item that was sold under the Global Shipping Program, it is wrangled over the border by couriers rather than by public servants. They HAVE to obey the (silly) law.

Which is why when you buy an item that is GSP-enabled, you would have already paid the appropriate duty, tax, and a $5(ish) fee to the GSP, before the seller even shipped the item to Canada.

So don't worry, until Auntie Frances gives you the evil eye at the next family wedding for making her pay $15 on her doorstep for your present.

Message 2 of 2
latest reply