Packing suggestions for board games?

Hi everyone. I have a large inventory of board games that I am planning to list in the new year & am looking for suggestions/recommendations for packing options. The games I will be selling range in size from very small (like oversized decks of cards) to very large (giant boxed wargames). Ideally, I want something that is cost-effective, quick/easy for me but most importantly provides protection against damage while in transit. Any suggestions?

Jason
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

If your shipping via Canadapost, the size of the parcel makes no difference in the cost if it does its really small.

I would suggest just picking up empty boxes here and there, I hit up a few retailers and ask them to put there empty boxes aside so I can reuse them.

Why pack them at all, slap a sticker on them and ship them out :P Thanks.

Sukh
(Dream About Comics)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Thanks.

Sukh
(IComic.ca)

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
If your shipping via Canadapost, the size of the parcel makes no difference in the cost if it does its really small.

????

When did Canada Post start this practice? It has been my experience that, in fact, the size and weight relationship can have a dramatic impact on shipping costs if shipping any service other than lettermail.

dreamaboutcomicz, you may want to clarify what you meant here. Most board games will exceed 1 kg in weight. If shipping to the USA the rates could vary significantly.

Bill
treasure-pot

Co-Author of

Bill

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Jason, assuming the games are of some value, you may want to ensure a minimum of 2 inches of packing on all sides to safely make the trip to destination. Newsprint can be quite dirty so you might think of Saran-wrapping the game before packing.

Ordinarily I would not suggest newsprint as packing because it can add to the weight and thereby to the postage but, in this case, the size of your boxes will result in your packages being cubed and its probably a safe bet that you can add to the weight without further impacting on the shipping cost.

Box sources are another issue entirely. If you do decide to recycle just remember that you need to obliterate external markings on the boxes to ensure they get through customs with the least amount of interference. It is not unknown for US Customs to reject packages because the declared contents and the box labels do not match.

Bill
treasure-pot

Co-Author of

Bill

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
also jason, if your games can be opened (providing they're not shrink wrapped), you may want to remove the top box and add a layer of bubble wrap to prevent the box and game contents from getting 'crushed'...i'm assuming the boxes from these games are typical cardboard types that we usually see, if that's the case, there's a good chance of getting them crushed and warped from other boxes weighing on top of them...so do take care in packaging, and i would not just wrap with paper!!
Kat
Message 5 of 19
latest reply

From what I have seen the cost of shipping an parcel is based on the weight but not the size of the package, I have shipped lighter items in big box and the same item in a smaller box and seen no big difference in the shipping. Thanks.

Sukh
(Dream About Comics)

Thanks.

Sukh
(IComic.ca)

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
That being the case, why do Canada Post, Canpar, UPS, DHL, FedEx and Purolater all insist on dimensions being supplied?

I think you need to have a look at some of their websites. You will readily see that they all charge based on cube.

Bill
treasure-pot

Co-Author of

Bill

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

I dont know, but I have just telling you what I have seen using Canada Post, and that is I have not seen the rate jump up or down based on the size of the box only based on the weight of the package. Thanks.

Sukh
(Dream About Comics)

Thanks.

Sukh
(IComic.ca)

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Ok... so here are two examples I just tried on the Canada Post site from my home to an Alberta address -

Package #1 is 6"x6"x6" and weighs 3kg - cost $13.04

Package #2 is 12"x12"x12" and weighs 3kg - cost is $15.58

Now from my home to a California address -

Package #3 is 6"x6"x6" and weighs 3kg - cost $17.05

Package #4 is 12"x12"x12" and weighs 3kg - cost is $23.92

I guess there is a difference.

Bill
treasure-pot

Co-Author of

Bill

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
...yes, there is of course, perhaps sukh had only encountered items with small differences that wouldn't have made too much of a difference...
Kat
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Regardless, it doesn't mean that Canada Post (or other carriers) does not charge based on cube measurements. The exception are flat rate services (ie letter post and small packet) but there are also size limitations there.

Bill
treasure-pot

Co-Author of

Bill

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
No offense, but this may be the silliest argument I've seen on here in a while. Of course all the shippers cube and I'm sure just about everyone here is aware of it. sukh ships comic books and probably just hasn't experienced it yet.

Monique

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
well that's what i was trying to say...
Kat
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Argument???

Bill
treasure-pot

Co-Author of

Bill

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
argument about what?!
Kat
Message 15 of 19
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Okay...."spirited discussion"....better? 🙂

Monique

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Highlight the "spirits"... lol

Bill
treasure-pot

Co-Author of

Bill

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
hehehe

Monique

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Hey thanks everyone for your "spirited" input! I've already managed to find some free boxes & bubble wrap from a local store so it looks like that's what I'll use for shipping. As for the costs, I'll just pack is as light as possible & let the shipping calculator do the rest!
Message 19 of 19
latest reply