PayPal Credit Card Chargeback (Unconfirmed Address) ARGH!

power_batteries
Community Member
Never had a big problem shipping to Unconfirmed address before - especially in Canada. (I had to think hard before I did it again for another one in PQ today though.) Buyer of item # 180107908623 put cell number in her shipping address and contact information. Ebay username and paypal email address both contain her name and her cell phone voicemail message has her speaking her name too. (Never had anyone keep a fake voicemail message on cell phone for over 45 days before - on or off ebay.) Xpresspost tracking shows "Item successfully delivered to Receiver".

If the buyer dispute goes through, what are the chances that I can go after the occupants of the shipping address? (Or that the "unknown" credit card company, ebay, or PayPal will?) 😛

Oh well, guess I'll get to see how hard PayPal will "fight" for me on this one when I had shipped to an unconfirmed address.

C.G.
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

katiusciav
Community Member
i'm assuming buyer opened a claim stating she didn't recieve?? apparantly, you need to prove delivery, and expresspost tracking message not enough, you have to prove it was delivered to HER. had she emailed you prior? funny, she's BRAND NEW!! wonder if she really isn't, but just her user id is??
Kat
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
Forget any of that stuff Kat. OP shipped to an unconfirmed address. Say bye bye to money and goods. 😞 Sorry.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

power_batteries
Community Member
Nope, buyer stated that use of credit card was unauthorized. Oh well, not much chance of getting anything but I sent in all the info that I could. Just wondering if any of the additional information will even be read by anybody. (Paypal email said that one of their unique benefits is that they will "help you fight unwarranted chargebacks and attempt to recover your funds." ;)) Will see if I get a reply to it via email or not. (Not holding my breath though.)

C.G.

"We were recently notified that one of your buyers filed a chargeback and
asked their card issuer to reverse a payment made to you.

Although a chargeback may appear to be similar to a PayPal claim, it is
actually a process initiated outside of PayPal and controlled by the card
issuer. One of the unique benefits of using PayPal is that we help you
fight unwarranted chargebacks and attempt to recover your funds.

The chargeback states that the buyer's card was used to make a purchase
without their knowledge.

It is up to the card issuer to decide whether or not they believe that the
buyer’s chargeback is valid and they are asking for some information about
this transaction from you..."
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

tobyshitzu
Community Member
They won't fight anything when there is no chance they'll be on the hook. Recent seller to that buyer may have just lost a camera.

Different situation then yours, but everyone should read this sorry tale on paypal "seller protection"
http://forums.ebay.com/db1/thread.jspa?threadID=2000385200&tstart=40&mod=1181945566513
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
That's a generic message. The only way they'll fight for you is if you meet all the SPP requirements. Shipping to a confirmed address is one of them. You didn't, so you're done before getting out of the gate. Sorry.

Off to read that link now Toby.

Message 6 of 9
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
Only starting to read but what the H happened to the supposed end of double jeopardy??? Last year at eBay Live the specifically said that if a buyer files a dispute and loses and then does a chargeback with their credit card the seller will not lose their money. WTF!!! :O

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
I consider it "shrinkage". It sucks...but it's part of retail.

Monique

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

Paypal puts up regulations that they can't follow or respect. Doesn't say much about them.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply