PayPal Only in Reverse! From a Buyers POV

jakeeangel
Community Member
I'm surprised nobody's talked about this. I haven't looked on the .com side but I'd imagine they are talking about it there.

PayPal & eBay tried forcing sellers to offer PayPal only under the guise of a better buyer experience & safety. They knew that wasn't going to work in the US so they tried Australia first. That failed.

Now what they've done is the reverse. If they can't force sellers to go PayPal only they're giving buyers every incentive in the world to not use anything BUT PayPal. This was announced during the Keynote speach on Friday of eBay Live.

I'm not 100% sure if it's for US buyers only but they did say that starting in the fall buyers will have 100% protection regardless of dollar amount when they buy on the .com site. I believe the example they used was $5 or $15,000, it doesn't matter because it's covered. They usually start with US only and then branch out. When I marched over to the Canada booth I was told in euphamistic terms, they don't have the money to do that right now. Same with Expanded SPP for all Canadian sellers not just Powersellers.

That is good for buyers but what about sellers getting hit with chargebacks that PayPal doesn't cover? Sucks to be you! PayPal says they'll fight for you but they will not and do not cover chargebacks. And all 'fight for you' means is they'll supply the info you gave them to the credit card company. If the CC company still says no, you lose!

The bottom line is they've achieved the same goal of PayPal only but went about it through the back door.

Food for thought.....
Message 1 of 2
latest reply
1 REPLY 1

PayPal Only in Reverse! From a Buyers POV

Bottom line. 100% protection for buyers and 0% protection for sellers.

Frederic
Message 2 of 2
latest reply