PayPal refund fees

Sorry in advance if this has already been discussed, but I can't find any info. about it.

I have purchased several items and a few of them I have not received. After 2 months or more of not receiving it, I inform the seller. If the seller refunds my purchase, PayPal will withhold almost 20% of my initial purchase price, calling it a "fee amount".

I've spoken with PayPal and basically that is just the way it is. This doesn't sound right to me. Not only have I paid for an item, then not received it, but I lose almost 20%??? Am I missing something? Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

PayPal refund fees

"PayPal will withhold almost 20% of my initial purchase price, calling it a "fee amount"."

We need more information.

How much was the amount refunded? How much were the fees charged by PayPal?Do they equal $0.30 plus 3.9% of the amount refunded?

Was the money sent to you as as a refund from the original payment (where the seller would have received a refund of the fees paid to PayPal) or a payment to you (where you have to pay fees as if you were the seller - because the seller did not use the "refund" function)?  I suspect the later.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

PayPal refund fees

Hi Pierrelebel, Thanks for your quick reply.

You are right, the refund is $0.30 plus 3.9%. Also noticed now, the seller did send the refund as a payment not as a refund.

Do I have any options, or just say oh well?...

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

PayPal refund fees

Options?  Not really.

What are we looking at?  $0.40 fees on a $2.00 refund?

How much time do you want to spend for a few pennies.

I guess the seller could not send you a refund using the "refund" function because more than 45 days had passed since the original payment.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply