Paypal charge-back won by a Non-Registered ebayer

ciderantiques
Community Member
I just had my first paypal charge back. I am quite annoyed. The buyer became non-registered on ebay just after she paid me for an auction she won. Silly me mailed the item anyways. Surprise, surprise this buyer was my first chargeback. What a scam. I was told insurance is not enough. You must have a tracking number to prove you sent it. Since expedited is around $14, and I sell many small items in the $10 to $20 range there is no way buyers will be willing to pay inflated prices just for tracking. It also seems strange to me that ebay can shut someone down completely yet paypal grants a complete refund to a questionable buyer. I have no doubt it was a fraudulent charge-back, but she still won and got her money back. Have any of you stopped using Paypal?
Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

PayPal is not responsible for the chargebacks -- the credit card company behind the payment is.

PayPal has no control in these types of matters. The buyer claims ignorance to their credit card company, who instigates the chargeback against paypal, who applies it to your account.

John
Message 2 of 13
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
its true, had she opened a claim with paypal, its their full decision, but when the credit card company charges the item back to paypal, paypal has to prove to the credit card company it was in fact delivered. and unfortunately, if you can't prove it, they can't prove it. (not that you should HAVE to...i use small packet air all the time to, who wouldn't?)...in any case...just one of them little chunks of bad luck to happen to good sellers every now and again...its inevitable...hope it wasn't too much money...:-(
Kat
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

bestshowtime
Community Member
Yes!
I stop to use paypal one year and two month ago!!!
Feel great!!! Save almost $1800US on paypal fees!!!:-x:-x:-x
Best wishes, Vitali.
Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Here we go again another thread about saving money by not taking paypal. I have four accounts with Ebay, one is just for buying. I will not buy anything that does not accept paypal. You saved $1,800 and maybe cost yourself $5,000 in sales.

You are probably eliminating 40-50% of your buyers. It sometimes cost money to make money!!!

Just my thought
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

adorable-kids-fashion
Community Member
Hello, everyone. I had a similar situation with chargeback. Buyer took 3 of my dresses, left me a thank you note and a feedback for all. 3 months later, I get a chargeback. Unfortunately, I used small packet and yes insurance was not enough to recover what I lost. I called and wrote to ebay with same formed responses. Nothing happened. Buyer is still on ebay, I didnt even recover my fees as it was over 45 days. But I learned my lesson. Anything over a hundred, I ship it express or expedited. I can't let go of paypal. It isn't perfect with money orders either. I got one that was cancelled and on top of it, I got charged by my bank. So I am sticking with the devil I know.
Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Bidpay -- ppl --- Bidpay -- ALL THE WAY!

Once Bidpay approves the payment - your done -- no chargebacks against you since Bidpay assumes the risk so your covered - plus cash is in your bank account within 3-5days and you only ship once the funds are in YOUR bank account.

Nice - this is what PAYPAL should be like but then again they would not make as much money.

Ohya if you ever have to issue a BIDPAY refund - you are in control of how much you refund (if any at all). It feels good to be in control of YOUR money and not at the mercy of someone else's decision process.

Regards,

TIM @ FTL

Since we started taking BIDPAY - we have managed to get 25% of our payment through Bidpay.
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

bestshowtime
Community Member
1)Here we go again another thread about saving money by not taking paypal.
2)You are probably eliminating 40-50% of your buyers.

1)Were is problem to save money on paypal fees?
2)Nope, I try to put same items on my friend's account who has paypal and do you know result is almost same. It was little better with international buyers!
SPECIAL FOR YOU, REMEMBER:
WHEN BUYERS FIND WHAT THEY WANT NOTHING CAN STOP THEM!!!
:^O:^O:^O]:)
Message 8 of 13
latest reply

I offer G**gleCheckout on my website and I love it! I can see why eBay/Paypal is afraid of the competition.

Ann
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

And it's absolutely free to use until the end of the year ...
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I still consider myslef kind of a "newbie" to Ebay. When I started my store a year ago about one month before Ebay changed all of their fees I could not believe how many people were going beserk about it.
Having owned a few "mortar" buisness's before, I could not believe how many people came through my store the first week of operation for the amount of overhead expenses.
To accept credit cards at any retail outlet (depending on volume) can be 3.5% of the purchase price (not sure what the fee is for debit). Just like Paypal you can be charged back with customer complaints on credit cards.
Ebay has a phenomal amount of traffic for the expense. Just think!!! Whatever you are selling, go and open up a "brick and mortar" store with all of the oeverhead and see how many customers you have come in the first week, how about the first year!!! I had more visitors the first month then I would have had in a whole year. Open your store in a mall and not only do you pay the rent but you also pay a percentage of your sales (you still will not see the same amount of visitors as Ebay).
Paypal and Ebay are not perfect by any means but I find the overhead to be extremely reasonable.
Open up a store in a mall and refuse to take credit cards bcause it costs you 3.5% and how many sales will you lose???????????
Once again, just my thought!!!!!
I am now working on opening a second store and I have in the works a third store once that gets going.
Message 11 of 13
latest reply

Well I am a real Newbie, I had a charge back on my account just last month, but I WON it and got my money back. I keep all of my emails plus any transactions that goes on with that particular buyer for 6 months so if I need to refer back to any particular aspect of the sale I can. I never email paypal I call their 1-888 number, they have always been helpful and usually get to the root of the problem very quickly. And I agree with gmcarguy4444, the fees are very reasonable considering, we sit at home to go to work.
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
it depends on how you look at it doesn't it? if you've never been in a brick and mortar business, you can probably tend to think it expensive, especially if you've been around long enough to go through the increases, and increases and yet even more increases. but i tend to agree with gmcarguy4444, it is much cheaper than a real store, and you get to work out of home, i used to think that when i first opened ebay, but every once in a while, i catch myself complaining...i have to keep reminding myself how much worse it COULD be...
Kat
Message 13 of 13
latest reply