Paypal claim potention problem??

ruthsdevildog
Community Member
Last month I sold an item and the winner was overseas. I clearly state in my auctions that international shipping does NOT include tracking or insurance. I received a positive feedback from the buyer. Now I receive a claim through paypal that the buyer is stating they never received the package. I have responded to the claim stating the buyer has posted a positive feedback on the item. I shipped the item USPS (Airmail).My question is WHAT ARE MY CHANCES OF WINNING THE DISPUTE?
Thanks in advance for any insight to this problem.
Paul
Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

alero0
Community Member
Paul,
Did the buyer's FB mention anything about them liking the product they bought or did it just say things like Great seller? If the FB mentions the product they bought that might help you but if it's just refering to you as a seller, the FB won't help.
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

ruthsdevildog
Community Member
Unfortunately the feedback only refers to the seller not the product. I checked the feedback they have left for others and it's all the same only referring to the sellers. I think I just got scammed!!! What would happen if I closed my paypal account and opened a new one with a different credit card and address?
Message 3 of 21
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
i don't think a scammer would leave feedback first? there's a chance they may have just left feedback for the wrong product by accident? just a chance though...who knows..
Kat
Message 4 of 21
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
Scammers do all kinds of things. And unfortunately you don't stand a chance of winning this with PayPal. Sorry. They only accept online tracking numbers that can confirm delivery of the item. It's cost prohibitive on overseas items, even for confirmed UK addresses where you'd be covered if you complied with all the terms.

I had someone do a chargeback on a silly little Disney kids game. She's claiming unauthorized use of her credit card. Riiiiiiiiiiight. That's all this person buys, Disney Winnie the Pooh items; games, curtains, stickers, books, you name it. It's not as if suddenly she bought, I don't know, a plasma tv or something. She only buys Winnie the Pooh stuff. Who'd think someone would scam on a Disney item. Scammers scam on everything. 😞

Where was the item going? Sellers are only covered by the Seller Protection Policy for confirmed addresses in Canada, the US and the UK. Nowhere else qualifies for SPP even if you had a tracking number for the item.

Closing/ignoring one account and opening a new one is not a good idea. PayPal isn't stupid and they'll know and connect the two. They'll close down the new one and come after you with a collection agency for the amount owing if you don't pay. Not a good idea in my opinion.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 5 of 21
latest reply

ruthsdevildog
Community Member
The item went to the UK. Dispute amount $235.00U.S. and it is an unconfirmed delivery address. I think I'm cooked. Ah Crap.
Message 6 of 21
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
Yep, sorry. 😞 No tracking and an unconfirmed address. You're not covered. I'm so sorry.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 7 of 21
latest reply

ruthsdevildog
Community Member
Oh well A lesson learned the hard way just part of doing business I guess:_|. If by chance the buyer has not received the item I'll just hope that it will arrive soon and they will be honest enough to close the dispute. There are still stome honest people out there right:O? Thanks for the advise and information.
Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Yup your S.O.L ruthsdevildog. An expensive lesson indeed but well worth it.

Selling overseas is a very risky venture since the costs associated with sending an item properly insured raised the price to a point were it is no longer attractive.

Using CanadaPOST to send your items doubles the risk not to mention delivery timeframes.

If you want to sell overseas then you might want to consider accepting BIDPAY payments only for overseas buyers - like this you would dramatically reduce your risk and liability. International money order are also not a good option since scammers have figured out how to make phoney ones and your bank will hold you liable for the funds.

Each day PAYPAL is becoming more and more of a less desirable means to collect money since their policies are quite anti-business not to mention that their business practices are very questionable to say the least.

We have had hundreds of dollars held in limbo for over 6weeks now without so much as an update....meanwhile their collecting interest on our funds and we will not see one dime of that interest when the funds are finally released.

We are now encouraging our buyers to pay using BIDPAY for all items over US$250 and over FREE shipping or other incentives when they do.

So far BidPay have proven to be very fast, convenient and quite painless as compared to PAYPAL.

One major difference we notice is when we had our first refund to process through BidPaY, they actually asked us "HOW MUCH WE WANTED TO REFUND" - we were quite taken back by this questions since PAYPAL would have simply refund all the buyers money - no questions asked and we would have been the last to know.

Its nice to be actually in-control of your funds rather than at the mercy of PAYPAL.

Cheers,

TIM @ FTL
Message 9 of 21
latest reply

ruthsdevildog
Community Member
Hopefully some good news. I received an e-mail from the buyer last night and apparently he has been in Australia and his brother in-law has just contacted him saying there are several packages waiting at the post office in Scotland for him where he lives. His brother in-law is going to pickup the packages for him and I hope my package is one of them. Hopefully this turns out O.K. he gets the parcel and I get the funds released by Paypal.
Message 10 of 21
latest reply

He hasn't been picking up his mail yet he files a 'not received' dispute with Paypal? This guy is a real winner.

Hope it works out for you. Keep all your emails!
Message 11 of 21
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
He hasn't been picking up his mail yet he files a 'not received' dispute with Paypal? This guy is a real winner

i was thinking the exact same thing.
good luck paul...this is a good lesson, without having to possibly lose any money...hope one of those packages is yours...
Kat
Message 12 of 21
latest reply

ruthsdevildog
Community Member
Update
I received an e-mail from the buyer saying he received the item and shall cancel the dispute with Paypal. What a relief:-).
Message 13 of 21
latest reply

Great! Nice start to the morning 🙂
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

ruthsdevildog
Community Member
Does anyone know of a phone number for paypal where you can actually talk to a real person? The buyer has e-mailed me that he has received the item and I have kept the e-mail. I have asked him to close the dispute with paypal but has not. I need to talk with someone at paypal to see what I can do to have this dispute closed. The funds are frozen in my account and the buyer is not replying now.
Message 15 of 21
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
1-402-935-2080

GOOD LUCK...
Kat
Message 16 of 21
latest reply

ruthsdevildog
Community Member
Hi Kat thanks but I've already tried that number and all I get is a recorded message network. Can't seem to find a number that will actually put me in touch with a live person.
Thanks,
Paul
Message 17 of 21
latest reply

Try 1-402-935-2050
Message 18 of 21
latest reply

ruthsdevildog
Community Member
I finally got to talk with a real person at paypal. She was very nice and listened to my problem. I have sent all the correspondence to resolutions at paypal so let's see what happens. In the correspodence is a message from the buyer stating they have received the item and are very happy with the purchase and even comment on the great packaging. Yet he has not cancelled the claim with paypal. It's going to be interesting to see if paypal will not stand behind me now to resolve this. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.
Thanks for all your help.
Paul
Message 19 of 21
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
Paul, one of the ways I got people to stop scamming me, was to change my Ebay inventory from 20-30 items priced at $100 and up, to an average of 150 $20.00 items. My sales are quite the same, but most of my transactions are for $20 + $8.75 shipping. The most I'll hopefully ever be on the hook for is $28.75 at any one time, on any one transaction. Mostly I find though that the scammers have no interest in me, as the most they stand to gain is $28.75, and they don't want a neg on their account over that. Just something to consider.
Message 20 of 21
latest reply