Paypal reversal OMG

tobyshitzu
Community Member
April 19 i get a paypal payment, INSTANT, from a confirmed address. Instant, not echeck, the money is there.

Buyer emails me yesterday offering to mail a check because he knows I didn't get payment, he made a mistake having a no longer active bank account with paypal (that funded my instant payment). Thats weird, I clearly have the money.

Tonight I just got "Notice of Transaction Review" and the funds held (6 days after instant "payment" from a non active bank account!!)

They are reviewing it and will be asking for more info (eg confirmed tracking).

Its not a lot of money, but how the heck can things like this happen?
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Paypal reversal OMG

katiusciav
Community Member
fight for your rights. paypal cleared it, and its not a credit card. call paypal and tell them you did your part, and they did theirs...unfortunately a little too late. they tried doing it to me, i called and got it fully refunded. good luck..
Kat
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Paypal reversal OMG

I had a buyer that contacted me recently saying she was having difficulty paying. She tried to use Paypal and it wouldn't let her pay. I checked in my Paypal account and her payment was completed--another instant payment and yet she thought it didn't go through. I don't entirely know what happened. She was fairly new to eBay but when you make a Paypal payment there should be no confusion as to whether or not your payment has been completed.
Judy
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Paypal reversal OMG

bestshowtime
Community Member
Its not a lot of money, but how the heck can things like this happen?
That is just normal things with paypal. Nothing new!
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Paypal reversal OMG

tobyshitzu
Community Member
Called paypal. Argumentative rep assures me it is quite correct a bank payment can be instant/confirmed even without a back up funding source and the bank account in question being already closed. Didn't really have any explanation for what the point of an echeck was if that is the case. "send with tracking and you'd be covered blah blah blah"
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Paypal reversal OMG

whoscloset
Community Member
"send with tracking and you'd be covered blah blah blah"

Yep...another reason to work out a deal with a courier company.
Monique

Himalayan Salt Lamps - A Guide to Purchasing

Monique

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Paypal reversal OMG

but how the heck can things like this happen?

As far as I know that's how it's always worked. A buyer can send an "instant payment" which is a payment funded by a bank account BUT it is backed by a credit card on file.

If the bank withdrawal doesn't go through PayPal charge the credit card, if the credit card is no good you get the "transaction review" followed by a reversal. An eCheck is simply a bank funded payment where no credit card is available for back-up.
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Paypal reversal OMG

tobyshitzu
Community Member
The rep I spoke to insists there "doesn't necessarily" have to be any backup source at all and a bank account funded payment can still be instant depending on paypal's assessment of the transaction.

Also insists when I respond to the review that I don't have tracking it doesn't necessarily mean I lose. Wouldn't say how I can win. Did say if I lose I ca call back in and I might be able to get a courtesy credit. (amount is under $20)
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Paypal reversal OMG

tobyshitzu
Community Member
After responding to the paypal inquiry the status when to "reviewed by staff" later the same. It sat "under review" for almost a week, when they closed ti and took the funds that were held. Paypal would not entertain crediting back those funds.

I emailed the buyer numerous times over the past couple weeks without response. Pulled his contact info and called - got voicemail each time and left message. No response at all, and hes stopped bidding on ebay. Contacted some other sellers, he had warned one of them payment wouldn't clear, but it did, and they all had gotten paid. He seems to have disappeared off teh face of the earth.

But I just got a check in the mail from him 🙂 hopefully it wont bounce.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Paypal reversal OMG

katiusciav
Community Member
alright...way to go toby...i don't mean this in a bad way, but you're lucky! especially since it seems he's dropped off the face of the earth...hopefully it'll clear..
Kat
Message 10 of 10
latest reply