Paypal's New Fee Tiers Include an Extra Increase?

llee2
Community Member
Everyone remember that Paypal fees are changing come August? Don't know about most of you but it looks like I'm going to be without a merchant rate account (ie. less than $3000/month).

Now I remember back when this was announced, my rate was going to change to the standard rate of 3.4% + 30 cents. Just happened to check Paypal's fees page on a whim today and guess what - the fee for a standard account is listed as 3.9% +30 cents.

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-xborder-fees-outside&countries=

Looks like those of us bringing in less than $3000 are going to get screwed even more than we originally thought come August.

Lincoln
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

llee2
Community Member
Oops, my mistake. Looks like the standard rate has been 3.9% for a while. Sheesh, that rate sucks...
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I don't think that link is correct. Last I calculated the rates my regular account was processing, it was still ~3%.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

imagi.nation
Community Member
If you read the page carefully it says "Fees for receiving payments from buyers outside the United States".

Here is the page for payments from buyers in the U.S.:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-receiving-fees-outside&countries=

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

llee2
Community Member
Think that chart refers to accepting US based payments if you are a US seller. If you are a CDN seller accepting a payment from a US buyer, the 3.9% would apply. Currently, Paypal waives the extra 1% cross border fee for Canadian sellers if the buyer is US based. I don't see anything about that continuing after August...
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

imagi.nation
Community Member
Alternatively, I don't see anything about it not continuing. The chart is for accepting payments from U.S. buyers, period. There is no indication that anything is going to change in that regards. I'm sure you have a reason to believe it may be happening, but I would like to see some material that leads you to this conclusion.
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

imagi.nation
Community Member
I just found the answer to my own question:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-xborder-fees-outside&countries=CA

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

imagi.nation
Community Member
Please disregard my previous 2 posts. It's been a long day. Thanks for passing on the info.
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

auctiondropnship
Community Member
If you are already have a merchant account with Visa or Mastercard . All you do is provide proof of the rate you are getting and paypal will match it . BANG my rate stays the same
Todd
Auction Drop N Ship
Drop It, Sell It, Ship It

Canada's Ebay Drop Off Store
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

ospreylinks
Community Member
Todd, how do you do that (provide proof of discount rate)? Did you fax them a copy of your merchant transactons?

Jeff
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

auctiondropnship
Community Member
Visa or Mastercard give you monthly statements that have your % rate in the statement . You can fax them the related info ...to get the discount from paypal

Todd

www.AuctionDropNship.com
Drop It. Sell It. Ship It
Canada's First & Largest Ebay Drop off store
Auction Drop N Ship
Drop It, Sell It, Ship It

Canada's Ebay Drop Off Store
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

aabros
Community Member
USD 3.9% + $0.30 USD if receiving from the states
2.9% + $0.55 CAD if receiving from canada

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

It's 2.9% + $0.30 USD for receiving in USD from either the USA or Canada. Add 1% for interational.
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

The PayPal page is wrong and misleading. There have been no increases in PayPal service charges.
Message 14 of 14
latest reply