Paypal sends tracking information for untracked packages

This is a pretty simple problem that I have previously contacted eBay and Paypal about. It still did not get fixed.

When shipping via Small or Light Packet USA or international, Paypal sends tracking information. These services of course do not include tracking.

I spend a lot of time dealing with customers who think their package has not shipped, since there is no tracking info for their package sent SP or LP.

I wonder if someone from eBay or Paypal could explain why it is not fixed yet?

Thanks
Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

PS: just to illustrate the above, here is an email sent by Paypal for a package shipped Small Packet international, which of course does not include any tracking. Emphasis in bold is mine:

You successfully created a shipping label using PayPal Shipping with Canada Post®. Your shipment details are below.

You can track the package online at:

https://em.canadapost.ca/emo/basicPin.do?trackingCode=PIN&action=query&language=en&trackingId=XXXXXXXXXXXX

Please note: Tracking information is updated throughout the day. The information is usually available by noon the next business day.

I cannot help you with the problem, but is there any reason why are you printing those services via PayPal ? Is it discount ?

If yes, did you consider using stamps? Stamps are much more convenient than PayPal. Recently I got inspired by one thread on Canadian Selling forum and searched local classifieds and acquired 18 rolls of $0.51 stamps for $20/ea.

There is a guy in Toronto who offers 1/2 price on stamps any amount (???). I did not try him Pierre checked him out and did not say anything (bad).
Message 3 of 27
latest reply

There's no discount with that service but it is convenient. The name and address are already filled out as is most of the customs information.
Message 4 of 27
latest reply

bighillbargains1
Community Member
I also do it for convenience.

Can't really see the advantage of printing an address label, filling in a custom form and putting stamps on...

OP, do you send your Buyers an email when the item has been shipped? I always send out an email stating, your item has been shipped today... shipping from Canada takes about 10-15 business days... etc.
Message 5 of 27
latest reply

Is it really more convenient than copy&paste onto Avery 5160 MS Word template ? 😉
Message 6 of 27
latest reply

Before we would be printing 2pcs Avery 5167 labels and whole sheets of our own addresses for CN22 form. It was copy and 2x paste, once you get into it, it is pretty fast. I always brought prepared CN22 sticked to it's mailer and then asked for extra blanks.

The issue with PayPal advertising tracking on this service may be wroth of little inconvenience of switching process of generating labels.
Message 7 of 27
latest reply

"surveys have shown" that envelopes with real postage stamps on them are more likely to be opened than those with metered mail or printed postage.

This is why charities will often use stamped envelopes for solicitations. We supply one large children's charity who have several volunteers whose ability as fundraisers is limited to putting stamps on envelopes. We sell the stamps at a discount, and find the cash flow useful, although it is not much of an earner.

When I use stamps, I write"pass the stamps to a young collector" on the back of the envelope. About one in twenty will mention that she appreciated the pretty stamps.
Message 8 of 27
latest reply

bighillbargains1
Community Member
Is it really more convenient than copy&paste onto Avery 5160 MS Word template ? 😉

But then you only have the address, still no custom form and no stamps on there. In the meantime I'm already done with mine... 😛
Message 9 of 27
latest reply

I use the Paypal shipping for pretty much everything too. I also find it worthwhile, when you are preparing the label and filling everything out, compare the price between small packet and expedited. In many cases, expedited is cheaper. For example, I shipped an item to Washington this morning, size was 40 x 35 x 4 cms and weighed .900g.
Small Packets was 14.80 something, and Expedited was 13.46. At least with the Expedited, you get a bit of tracking (heavy on the "bit") and it can be cheaper as well.
One other thing I have found worth noting with the Paypal shipping, is that for large items going to other countries, such as the UK for example, they dont give us the option for Expedited Surface any more. The only options in the dropdown are Xpresspost (245.00 for a guitar!!) or Small Packet Surface or Small Packet Air, both of which will not work because the item's weight is too much (9 Kg or so).
So if a customer wants Expedited Surface and is willing to wait longer and save $, (Expedited for a package this size is about 112.00 instead of 245.00), then I have to get it done at the Post Office. Anyone else experiencing this?

AXE
Message 10 of 27
latest reply

But then you only have the address, still no custom form and no stamps on there. In the meantime I'm already done with mine... 😛

You are probably saving time if your packages prepared by PP can be dumped into the box, while packages with pre-done CP form need to be processed by postal clerk.

I never got to explore self printing pre-approved version of CN22, because we stopped using CanadaPost for international mailing. Before that time we would use retail CN22 forms with 2 address labels on each and after agreement with postal clerk we would prefill their info, so our 20pcs mail drop took 2-3min.

Anyway, you are right, PayPal shipping may work better for you. We use it for Expedited Parcel only and find it slow, many times it fails to print the label. But 20% saving adds up.

Nonetheless, if PayPal is sending that tracking info and it's wreaking havoc in your customer support, what exactly is your time saving now ?
Message 11 of 27
latest reply

I heard they were changing the CN22 form soon. Has to have a signature now.
Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Paypal shipping is way, way faster if one is using Canada Post.

The filled-in address aside, one gets a nice clean shipping label with CN 22 integrated.

Sure beats standing at a postal counter every day while the clerk takes 1/2 hour to process dozens of packages.

Stamps are impractical as the cost is $2.50 to $10.00 for Light and Small packets.

The fact that packages with stamps get opened more often is a moot point as buyers WILL open packages containing their merchandise.

And yes, Paypal does send out those annoying "tracking #'s".

Bernie
Message 13 of 27
latest reply

Thanks for the kind replies!

I guess no one has an answer on the bogus tracking info...

For shipping, I use the Paypal labels because 99% of my product goes out of the country. Paypal shipping fills out the customs info, the address etc and it never gets lost. In 300 int'l packages in the last five months nothing has been lost by first class mail- knock on wood.

And since this has become more of a shipping techniques thread, here is what I do. I shipped two orders this morning in less than 15 minutes this way.

- Use Uline small boxes, always standard size. Their CD mailer is under 20mm thick, perfect for light packet or $1.22 in Canada.
- I have Firefox open all the time, and a button that says "print invoices". There's a Firefox plugin called iMacros that clicks all the boxes and buttons automatically, I just click "print invoices" bookmark and then click print for the printer.
- pick the order, pack it
- do the Paypal shipping labels- using iMacros to fill in much of the page
- I use Typinator (Macintosh). When I type U-C-P all together, it puts in USED CAMERA PART" in the CN-22. Same for customer emails.
- box it up, walk across the street to mailbox, all done!

That's my system now, but I am always looking for cheaper/faster ways!

And if anyone from eBay is reading this, please fix the fake tracking info issue...

D
Message 14 of 27
latest reply

I never got to explore self printing pre-approved version of CN22, because we stopped using CanadaPost for international mailing.

Wow, who else is there to use for intl' mailing?

D
Message 15 of 27
latest reply

bighillbargains1
Community Member
Nonetheless, if PayPal is sending that tracking info and it's wreaking havoc in your customer support, what exactly is your time saving now ?

I have very few inquiries regarding this "fake" tracking #, so this is not really an issue for me. Although I would be happy if ebay could fix this as it is just confusing to everyone!
Message 16 of 27
latest reply

I totally agree. This mysterious non existent tracking number is a real sore spot with me.It's false and untrue.I posted my frustrations about this a few weeks ago.I spoke to a Canada Post rep who was absolutely useless.I asked the rep to have her supervisor call me.The supervisor called acknowledged my frustration and did absolutely nothing."It's just a way for us to confirm payment" said the CP rep.I knew the conversation was going nowhere after that.I ship anywhere from 25 to 50 golf shirts by small packet air to the US each month and everyone of them has a tracking number assigned to it when we all know there really isnt one.I get at least 5 inquiries about this a month from my US customers.So far I've been able to keep the lid on.Printing shipping labels from home through Paypal is extremely convenient,saves time, and for Expedited Parcel to the US and within Canada there is a 25% discount which is fantastic.
But why they would insert a tracking number that really isnt a tracking number is beyond me.
Don't hold your breath it's going to change though.
Message 17 of 27
latest reply

Wow, who else is there to use for intl' mailing?

Depending where you are, people are running one-man courier or forwarding services. ChitChatExpress from Ontario offers USPS and RoyalMail (UK), Books to the Border from BC offers USPS and one fellow Powerseller was planning to start a Deutsche Post forwarding service with really nice worldwide rates, I am not sure where that effort ended.

As for myself, we self-courier 3x per week to USPS. CanadaPost gets approx 10-20% of our volume and USPS gets the rest. Domestic tracked parcel service starting $1.40 and delivery times 2-3 days, international registered mail for $12 and EMS (Xpresspost) with 4lb limit for $26 worldwide and no CanadaPost's BS 20mm limits.

If you are in Ontario, email ChitChatExpress, he may also pick-up depending on your area.
Message 18 of 27
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Dipmicro,

Does it really save YOU money to self- courier over the border? Are you close to the border? Do your customers pay for their postage and your fuel? Fuel costs $$$$$$$

Just curious how this works for you and for others who cross the border to mail their items.

Susan
Message 19 of 27
latest reply

But why they would insert a tracking number that really isnt a tracking number is beyond me.
Don't hold your breath it's going to change though.

Exactly my thoughts GIS!
Message 20 of 27
latest reply