Paypal shipping Tools

Anyone trying to use the paypal shipping tools and pay with their Canadian Credit card? Used to work for me until a couple of weeks ago when paypal stopped letting me use it and will only allow payments to go through my U.S. bank account.
The replies they are giving me are ridiculous. The card works to pay Canadian sellers via paypal but not Canada Post..Very strange and I wanted to hear if I am a sole target or if the system has changed and they will not allow Canadian Credit card payments to Canada Post.
Here is the reply:
The reason why you cannot use this credit card as a funding source is that
PayPal has employed a statistical model that internally looks at each
individual transaction purely on a statistical basis. This statistical
model is not based upon your credit, or the seller individually. Under the
User Agreement, PayPal reserves the right to limit an account holder's
choice of funding sources for any individual payment based on analysis
performed through proprietary risk modeling systems.

For example, some transactions you will be given the option to use the
credit card as a funding source, some transactions, the option will be
grayed out, unable to be selected. Some transactions you will be able to
fund with an Instant Transfer payment method, some transactions you will
not. For PayPal, this reduces the chances of credit card fraud,
chargeback's or payment reversals, which can cause losses in revenue each
year.

Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,
Rey
PayPal Community Support
PayPal, an eBay Company
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Paypal shipping Tools

treasure-pot
Community Member
I suspect that Canada Post has some kind of deal with Paypal to ensure that the buyer of the postage pays banking fees rather then them paying paying all those credit card transaction fees.

Of course, that flies in the face of Paypal's policy that all sellers must offer all payment options (credit cards, Paypal balance and eCheck) and cannot pick and choose.

Not much that can be done about it except to make note of it and wag your finger at Paypal if you see them at eBay Live!

By the way, I would still email the Paypal rep the emailed you and ask him to take the marbles outta his mouth.

Bill treasure-pot

Bill

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Paypal shipping Tools

tobyshitzu
Community Member
I suspect its paypals doing so they can keep more of the money, like they completely block their own debit card from being used so the 1.5% cash back isn't give, but one can go to est on canadapost.ca and pay with the paypal debit card to get the cash back. Paypal passes along a measly 1% extra discount on intl expedited only, while they must be saving way more then that on the % of payments being made on all services with paypal balance funds.

Go to canadapost.ca and pay with a credit card, never a problem.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

Paypal shipping Tools

treasure-pot
Community Member
Difference being that most people will run a total for several shipments before making a final payment by credit card (one transaction fee). With Paypal there is a transaction fee for every postage label printed.

Bill treasure-pot

Bill

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Paypal shipping Tools

I only thought it strange because I had the privelage of using my credit card and then it was taken away.
I have emailed the rep. I have asked what steps we must take to take the grayed out area off my credit card. Anyhow I will ship directly with Canada Post now.
I always did anyhow until recently. It really does not seem right that they can pick my payment options though.
Thanks for the replies.
Janice
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Paypal shipping Tools

Not sure what is happening in your case allthebest1 but all our paypal CP label charges are billed to our Canadian RBC VISA creditcard on a per label basis -- needless to say our postman is not always pleased to deliver our mail...lol!

TIM @ FTL
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Paypal shipping Tools

Maybe, Janice, the problem is billing to your paypal debit card - is that right?
Or is it any credit card that is restricted?
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Paypal shipping Tools

No it was not the paypal card. It was a mastercard. The paypal team sent another reply something about a statistical model. I asked that the statistical model be changed so my credit card could be used (keep in mind the card is good , I use it all the time and it even works paying for auction goods purchased on ebay). The reply was *sorry the statistical model cannot be changed*) please pay using another source. So I use Canada Post instead of paypal online shipping tools because I refuse to pay in U.S. dollars my canada post fees.
Janice
Message 8 of 8
latest reply