Phishing emails, eBay and Paypal, and Internet Safety

People looking to find out ID and associated Passwords are getting better at the phishing process.

Emails look official, but there will always be something that is "not quite right".

Things to do .. or not to do

(1) Never respond to an email about eBay or Paypal  through the email.. I have always gone to the official  website to see if anything  wrong is indicated there.

(2) If there is a listing ID in the email... check it  on eBay, not throuigh the email, and many times this number has not been my listing, or is bogus, with no listing on eBay

(3) Each email from eBay or Paypal has a unique format with unique information and numbers,  and if emails come unexpected,  assume it is a phishing email, no matter how official the email looks  and check, check, check on the official website...

(4) All communications now go through eBay  and no one sees your Name, eBay ID or email address unless they have bought something from you..... 

(5) Potential buyers will ask questions about one of my listings...  and I used to answer with my name and eBay ID.

I now answer with only my eBay ID... With my name  and location from my listings on eBay  they can go to the internet... and through ... White Pages or Peoplefind options,  they can track where I live, my telephone number  and then my email address,  also my business and sometimes even more.

Even ....more websites include satellite photos, using Mapquest  and other such sites...  and then there is Google Maps...  a street wise view of where we live...

Nothing is hidden on the internet if you know where to look...

I know, because  I  have traced where some of my problem buyers or buyers with delivery problems live.

(6) I have very deliberately stayed away from sites such as Facebook...  mainly because  there have been problems with how this site handles personal information.  The Canadian government has gone after Facebook for mishandling personal information

I am on the internet as a seller on eBay, and no more.... There is more  but that was from before eBay  and related to my previous work in agriculture ... There is no way to tie that with what I do today

As sellers on eBay we must always be careful ...  extremely careful if eBay counts for a lot of income.

Phishing emails are getting better.... 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even though you have virus protection,  a software firewall... hardware firewall in a router.... as I do

We search the internet,  and something tags along into your computer... May not be a problem... but it just may get activated and become a problem...  Virus software or firewalls do not stop 100 % of all problems on the internet. 

This after 10 years of experience and two major problems....that required major intervention...

One never knows what is coming into one's computer.  Run a program such as Spyhunter or Ad Aware and find how much junk ends up on a computer.

In real life we drive around a city and do see piles of nonsense or garbage.... only in a computer we never see the garbage...  but it is there  for no one to see...

Clean up software is needed. in addition to Anti-Virus software or firewalls  ... Something  I found to be necessary.

People worldwide can visit you through the internet....

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Excellent advice Cumos55. I never even open a message from eBay until I have checked the messages folder in my eBay first. Then, I answer the message from there, not my email address.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

I have two computers..

(1) My desktop....

This computer is wide open to the internet...  All of my emails  and communication with buyers, eBay, Paypal and more, come to this computer.

This is where I do all of my searches. 

This computer must be wide open to the internet with no restriction.

Spyhunter was run earlier today... with about 100 problems indicated.....  There was a lot of tracking Malware...  nothing super serious....  atleast this time...

Things have been cleaned out.... fixed for now

This does indicate how much can get into a computer without one knowing....

and there is a lot that was not stopped by Antivirus software or a firewall.

(2) The second computer is a laptop,  and it contains Turbolister and all of my records as they relate to the selling on eBay..

Networked with the other computer,... but as seen  with a scan by Spyhunter nothing was transferred form the other computer.... 

It would appear that Malware settles into the computer connected to the internet... and does not get transferred to other computers in the network

No email connection for this laptop...

There have been a few connections to the internet... but nothing critical showed with a Spyhunter scan...  Everything had my name on it because of the few times that I did access the internet

Perhaps an email connection is required for Malware to be transferred to a computer...

A  Spyhunter cleanup is NOT needed here.

This comparison of the two computers shows how much garbage gets onto a computer and all because of a connection to the internet...

and garbage  is always coming in strictly to watch what you are doing....

and...

Having a second computer dedicated solely to Turbolister and sales data  is an advantage...No messy garbage,  as defined by Spyhunter software...

Message 3 of 3
latest reply