Postal return

I went to my mailbox today ad found a parcel I had posted mid-week last week using paypal shipping through CP. There wasn't a post office marking to identify why it was returned so I went up the hill to chat with my postmaster. She thought it was odd and said to try it again. I weighed it on her scale and I was light a few grams but other than that, I think it was fine.
Have any of you had "return to sender" or "insufficient postage" type markings on returned mail or, was it unmarked? I guess if it comes back again I'll have to call PayPal.
Thanks 🙂
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Postal return

About a year or so ago, I had 2-3 parcels come back to me because they were mis-sorted. Put it back in the mail and I was fine. It happens.
Photobucket
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Postal return

Same as Inuk, two to three returned over the years.

Put them back in the mail & they made there way to their destinations.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Postal return

about 1 1/2 yrs ago we had a number of our oversized letters returned to us  Went on for a few months Had about 35 to 40 of them returned

It started just after they stopped sorting the mail here and sent  to Ottawa to be done

usually took 2 to 3 weeks to be returned

a total pain

each envelope was stamped as insufficient postage or improper weight

for each one we took it to the main post office they weighed it and it was shown it should not have been returned Postage and weight was correct

took a few weeks of talking to Canda Post being shuffled from one person to another before we were referred to the Office of  Deepak Chopra the President and Chief Executive Officer of Canada Post We dealt with his Executive Secretary

They investigated and  were at a loss as to why this was happening

They  suggested we Mark each Envelope as "Printed Matter" (Which it was)  and Use Metered Postage instead of stamps

It worked doing it this way we have not had any returned since

weavers

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Postal return

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WAiit ...

Contact Canada post get a refund for the label printed and then print a new label ..

Thi has happened to me about 6 times in the last 4or 5 months and here is my horror story ..

The first time it happened I called Canada post they said just drop it back off and send it out .... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO DO NOT DO THAT

The Tracking on that label will showed delivered to you and if you send it out with the same label it can not be scanned in again so the tracking will always show delivered to you ..

So the parel went out the second time and did not get rescanned and did not get delivered and Canada post told me Sorry it shows you have so bend over and take the loss ..

I even explained how Canada post Told me to just send it back out and they still said too bad so sad and I lot $150 plus shipping ...

Lesson Get refund for label and print a new one NEVER ship out with the same label on it

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Postal return

I've had a few light packet packages returned to me with no explanation. I think that the sorter and mail person were looking at the From address rather than the To address. For that reason, I always highlight the buyers name and address on the label.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

Postal return

I always add my own large address label. I don't have confidence to the miniature recipient addresses on the CP labels.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Postal return

I think the problem of erroneously returned mail stems from the changeover from handsorting by mail carriers to "sequencing" of optically-sorted mail prior to delivery, which began in 2012. These optical readers for sorting mail are pretty impressive (they actually match the address with the postal code and if the two conflict the mail piece is rejected and has to be manually sorted). However, I don't think these wonder machines are  foolproof and mistakes can happen. Last summer we sent a birthday card, correctly addressed and stamped, to a local address and received it back in our mailbox in a couple of days, unmarked except for the cancelled stamp. (A friend of mine told me the office she works in had had the same problem with several letters they had mailed out). As is my wont, I complained in writing to Jacques Côté, head of the physical mail division of Canada Post, and he referred me to one of the CP supervisors responsible for mail delivery in our part of the city. The supervisor confirmed that the optical reader had scanned the printed return address (off one of those charity address labels in the top left corner of the envelope) rather than the handwritten destination address in the middle of the envelope, perhaps because the envelope was upside down in the machine. The envelope was then "sequenced" in the tray of mail for our block and delivered by the mail carrier, without further checking. However, the supervisor said that, instead of blindly delivering automatically-sorted mail, the mail carrier is supposed to catch such an obvious error. Well, that may be wishful thinking...

Still, it boggles my mind that parcels which have been missorted are being delivered back to the sender.

In any case, every single one of these goofs should be reported to the top dog at Canada Post. Those guys claiming to be at the controls of the slow-motion train wreck that is Canada Post should not be allowed to get away with any more stuff-ups. At least M. Côté sent me a book of stamps for my trouble.

Tom

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Postal return

Thanks for the help and info. It is back in the mail and I'm now highlighting the "to" address on my shipments. I'll let you know if it comes back again lol. My local office and delivery person are both very good and I've had less than 1% lost or returned in the past so I wish I could but can't really complain too much about CP.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Postal return

My typical Small Packet label:

label.jpg

Message 11 of 11
latest reply