Problem buyers, to ship or not to ship

Brief scenarios on cheaper items:

buyer buys an item and complains about stated shipping charges but does pays. Too expensive to send with tracking from Canada due to CP ridiculous fees. Of course buyer then files INR and gets item, and all money back. Seller is out item, Ebay and Paypal fees, and original purchase price of item as well as postage costs. And also gets a wonderful defect from Ebay.

buyer buys multiple cheap items and pays for each separately and then says refund overage to Paypal as others have done the same for him. Will be in the same situation as above after the fact. I offer free shipping on additional items and if paid separately, they will only get a portion back as rest of money would go to pay for extra Paypalm transaction fees, extra Ebay fees on shipping, extra invoicers, etc.

Now I do not want tyo hear from the Ebay yes men to just refund and eat the costs because then there is no point selling the items.

What I want to know is this, If you don't ship, you still have the items, don't waste money on Postage, buyer does not get free items.

If you do ship, and buyer files, which they have done and will do, you are out the item, money, fees, time, etc.

Either result will get you defects but one will also cost you items and money.

A lot of sellers, me included are getting to the point, due to Ebay policies to block, and not sell to these problem buyers. Once they pay, it is too late and you can expect defects and neg feedback.

Let's hear everyone's opinions on the 2 choices: ship and lose items and money, and get defects, or don't ship and just get defects

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

"opinions on the 2 choices: ship and lose items and money, and get defects, or don't ship and just get defects"

I see four options:

1) ship and lose items and money, and get defects,

2) don't ship and just get defects

3) complete the sale, get the money, ship and the buyer is happy (and you have the money!).  If multiple payments have been made, seller has options of refunding all or portion over the $0.35 per transaction charged by PayPal

4) if there is no confidence on honesty of buyers, close shop and find another venue to sell products where buyers are honest.  Good Luck with that!

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Your entire scenario is ridiculous and far fetched. I have reliably lost 3 widgets in the last three years. I cannot lose unrealized profit so all I lost was about $30 in postage costs.

Choose option 4 as it is the best option for "your" business model.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Pierre

Thank you for your comments

1 out of 3 is a  sort of good option which I agree with However, I only wanted an answer to the 2 options I asked about.

Even 3 is not good because you forgot Ebay does not refund on shipping fees period. If 3 is chosen, and you get an INR, you are in the same situation..

By reading 4 between the lines, your opinion of buyers has also changed since all the ridiculous Ebay policies in the last 6 months. By reading the weekly discussion boards, you can't get any straight answers from Ebay at all.

Also, with 4, not all the other sites have the ridiculous defect policies.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Did you not read my first line in bold. You did not answer my question but gave your own comments which do not apply. As I have told you before,

DO NOT APPLY YOUR SITUATION TO EVERYONE AS YOUR BUSINESS MODEL MAY NOT FIT

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Your questions are not as black and white as you seem to think because your scenarios don't necessarily equal a problem buyer.

If you could see into the future then your first scenario would be easier to answer but  you don't 'know' that the buyer is going to file an inr. They may...but they may not. In some cases I might be a bit antsy about it, but I would send them their purchase. If it was expensive I might pay extra for delivery confirmation. 

You mentioned that you would be out paypal and ebay fees but you would receive those back when you refunded. In the second case you would receive back your paypal funds but not the ebay ones.

In the second scenario it is possible that the buyer doesn't know how to put items in a cart or how to ask for combined shipping. Or they may be shopping on the .com site and be forced to pay for each one as they buy it. I run into this once in a while which is why I make sure that if they pay the full shipping price for each item that extra amount is enough to offset the ebay fees.  If you do run into this often then perhaps you should change the way you do things rather than just cancel sales.

To sum it up, I would ship in both cases.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

last buyer in Alberta, I am in Alberta, bought on .ca. He has done the same to others and told me they just refund the excess shipping he paid. Buyer is not new, has over 400 feedback so there is no need for the way the buyer buys.

I have shipped before under these scenarios and been burnt. I have reported similar buyers and Ebay does 0, just refund, be out the item and non refundable fees and call it the cost of doing business.

It just gets real tiring to keep getting shafted by crooked buyers as they know they will get away with it. And not just the new buyers as they have not learned how to play the games yet in most cases. I have far less issues with new buyers. Buyers buy when they should not, don't read or seem to care and Ebay backs them 100%. Also tired of getting defects because of these buyers.

And contrary to what a previous poster said, I have all 5's and 100%, where his business plan does not.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me."  Stuart Smalley

Photobucket
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

To avoid these complaints from people have you tried moving some of the shipping price into the item price. For my items which are similar in price and can be shipped the same way I charge for shipping the cost of the price on the envelope and move the handling and supplies to the item cost. Remember 'Customer perception is reality'. I had the same complaints also so I raised my item cost up a couple dollars and actually had more sales with fewer complaints.

I operate with a few rules: Everything I have listed is MINE and I am here to sell for a profit not give away or pay people to have.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

I am glad that works for you but it also means your US buyers are paying the add on to the item price as well as $5.00 for their shipping costs.

I have 1 price for shipping and additional items iin certain categories ship free (stated in the listing) yet they still pay each one individually.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Actually the buyers pay a little less because I list in US currency. That means Canadians and the rest of the world have to pay conversion fees.

For your 2 options. If you are uncomfortable with the transaction then don't ship, but always provide your buyers with an out e.g. buyer requested cancelation. Nothing good comes from forcing people to continue with the transaction. That way you get to keep your item to sell at a later time.

Remember

Everything you have listed is YOURS and you are here to sell for a profit not give away or pay people to have.

P.S. regarding Canadapost and their prices, remember almost every seller in Canada is in the same boat.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I have given people outs and they as good buyers still pay or pay before I can combine. What I am witching about is due to Ebay MBG, buyers can now just file INR or SNAD and be out nothing. They are in a win win and sellers in a lose lose under these conditions.

I like many have been here for many years and many of us are seeing more problems than ever before. I read the US boards as well and they are even worse. Read their weekly chats to get a better picture.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Having been around since 2001, in my opinion, the American sellers are hysterical, litigious, and paranoid.

Everything is personal, a battle, and and insult.

Not to mention the xenophobia.

And always have been.

On the other hand, there are 10 x as many of them as of we Canadians, and people come here with problems not with good news.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Stuart Smalley ended up in the Senate.

If that's your ambition, there's a seat going begging in PEI.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Stuart Smalley ended up in the Senate.

If that's your ambition, there's a seat going begging in PEI.

I have a seat. It is in my office. I am drinking Faxe 8% beer. I ain't moving to PEI. I would move to Victoria, but, I don't have your money. Actually, thanks to the bipolar ex, I don't have all of my money. That was money well spent.

Photobucket
Message 15 of 15
latest reply