Proper export declarations?

I would like to ask someone with knowledge on how to do this properly.

Currently we only use "Electronic parts" on Small/Light packet form and I noticed sometimes our parcels take long time I suspect due to customs.

So I am considering doing much more detailed Packing Slip that will contain Country of Origin and Harmonized Tariff Code and using the external transparent pouches on the parcel so the customs worker can easily identify the shipment. Already added a HTSUS field to my database and working on populating them using Harmonized Tariff Schedule of United States (3,000 pages 🙂

If anybody here who works on the border or has a good knowledge can share some insight on what would make my parcel transparently go through the border, what else to do so the customs officer processes it with a smile without "leaving it for later" ...
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Although we rarely use small/light packet service (we rarely use CP), the odd time, when we do, we always detail the description. It's my educated guess that "electronic parts" may in fact slow down the customs clearing process. I would write " 1 used stacking spindle for record player, made in Germany." Have never bothered showing the HTC nor do i think that is necessary for lower value shipments.
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

3jcc14
Community Member
I'd suggest being more detailed than electronic parts. Looks like most of your items fall under Chapter 85 of the Harmonized Tariffs. http://hotdocs.usitc.gov/docs/tata/hts/bychapter/0802c85.pdf

You should also indicate your country of manufacture for your items - where the item is made, not where you are shipping from. You'll notice that there are various duty rates as the US appears to have General Duty Rates, Special Duty Rates (example Canada is Duty Free) and a Group 2 duty rate. Best to look at the index of the US tariffs to see what country winds up where. Some of your items may be subject to duties and the delays may occur when the US Border Protection Officer has to look closer at where the items are made and if a collection of duties is in order. If needed, list each item individually or group them by where they are made since lots of times the duty rates are similar for closely described items from the same country of origin.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

dipmicro, there's good and bad aspects to your thinking.

Like other have alluded to, for larger commercial shipments detailed declarations, tariff codes, country of origin absolutely will speed up customs processing. For small quantity shipments sent through the mail I'm really not sure how much difference it would make if any, it's even possible it could slow things down.

Probably the only way to know for sure is to try it out and see if you notice any improvement. Personally I have always felt that the more general the declaration is the better so long as it's not so vague as to require the examination of the goods themselves.

Going into the USA only certain type of commodities draw close scrutiny from Customs, textiles are one that I know of which get close attention and of course the USA has crazy rules for food products. I wouldn't think that "electronic parts" would be on their "hit list" but I have no specific knowledge.

I would think that shipments under US$200 in value sent to individuals generally just get a very superficial check at the US Border regardless of the commodity involved (food products being an exception).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

We have approx 10-20 HTC codes altogether, so it should not be difficult to implement. I agree that "electronic parts" is vague - it was working fine when we started with few P/Ns that fit perfectly in this category, but now we are adding items that are of different nature (assemblies, PCBs, etc). About a month ago I had to reship 3 Light Parcels because they did not show up in my US customers within 3 weeks, I suspect due to customs.

3jcc14, you are right we are 99% under chapter 85. I took the US customs code, because it seems compatible with Harmonized Code () only is more detailed:

This structure is based upon the international Harmonized Commodity Description and Coding System (HS), administered by the World Customs Organization in Brussels ;

quoted from http://www.usitc.gov/tata/index.htm

I will be also including the Country of Origin, I think this might be sometimes more important than HS code itself.

For information to others who trade outside North America, I was searching for the personal duty-free limit on shipments to EU and it seems it is EUR 22 including shipping cost. So you can advise your EU customers on this, so they have no nasty surprises in a form of extra unexpected charges, I will be doing that too.

recped ... we get sometimes larger shipments too, not too often but they happen. As the business grows they happen more and more. I already had a business RFQ for 8k worth of components from UK customer, so if we implement a detailed declaration even for $15 orders, there will be nothing stopping us shipping $800 orders 🙂 I mean, the detailed declaration accessible without opening the parcel cannot make it worse than it is with "electronic parts" can it?
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

I will be also including the Country of Origin, I think this might be sometimes more important than HS code itself.

I suspect you are right on this.

For information to others who trade outside North America, I was searching for the personal duty-free limit on shipments to EU and it seems it is EUR 22 including shipping cost. So you can advise your EU customers on this, so they have no nasty surprises in a form of extra unexpected charges, I will be doing that too.

The limit in the EU is EUR 22 (UK 17 Pounds), but as far as I know the shipping charges are only included in the taxable total if the value of the goods themselves exceeds EUR 22.

FYI this is going to change on Dec. 1, 2008, the free limit will increase to EUR 150.

http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=OJ:L:2008:085:0001:0002:EN:PDF

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
Am I incorrect that NO DECLARATION for items sent in the mail is necessary if one attaches what was the LOWER portion of an old CN22 Custom's declaration form- the one that states "THIS PACKAGE MAY BE OPENED FOR POSTAL INSPECTION"?

According to Canada Post:
"When shipping outside of Canada, the Customer must ensure the items meet all current applicable requirements of the international destination and that all properly completed Customs and/or other required documentation is provided."

HOWEVER: the back of label to be applied clearly says "Non-observance of this condition may lead to delay of the item and inconvenience to the addressee, or even lead to the seizure of the item by the customs authorities abroad."

So, if you trust the foreign Custom's office- and are willing to be delayed, or have the addressee inconvenienced, or worse- risk seizure, let them do the paperwork.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

if one attaches what was the LOWER portion of an old CN22 Custom's declaration form- the one that states "THIS PACKAGE MAY BE OPENED FOR POSTAL INSPECTION"?

Yes, I use CN22 as it's standard CanadaPost Light Packet and Small Packet form. I prefer if customs did not have to inspect the package for two reasons:

1. they would likely put it aside and delay the processing

2. some of my items may not survive cutoms inspection, especially if they start opening Antistatic bags. I seen on my incoming packages that customs are careless to the property of others, sometimes even downright malicious.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
As I wrote "So, if you trust the foreign Custom's office- and are willing to be delayed, or have the addressee inconvenienced, or worse- risk seizure, let them do the paperwork. "

Maybe that TRUST is grossly misplaced. And yes, I agree CUSTOMS can be careless, or worse when inspecting items. However- no matter how well labeled, and properly declared- OPENING PACKAGES is their right- should they choose to exercise it!

As we ship plastic items (cards), and china coffee mugs; there's not a whole lot that is really sensitive to being opened by Customs.

Other seller would not likely fair as well. Especially those shipping 'unprotected' electronic boards.
Message 9 of 9
latest reply