Providing an Incorrect Address?

jphantomm
Community Member
Wondering what ebay does when the buyer(me) provides an invalid address (or in my case, incomplete address as I forgot to include my apt number)
I received a message from ebay saying that I would need to respond to it with my correct address and change the address on my account to ensure that my item gets shipped to me. I have done these things but cant help but worry that the item won't ever make it here. Wondering if anyone else has had experience with having the wrong address at first, and what happens after this/ Ebay says that they dispose of the item if nothing is responded to in 7 days - im worried of even the possibility of this item getting thrown out
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

@jphantomm wrote:

I had no idea it was Pitney-Bowes holding the item! Have attempted to call but they are busy, left a voicemail, sent an email.

Did you also reply to that email inquiry from them?   Leave no stone unturned.   🙂  

With a GSP sale, the seller mails the item to Kentucky and after that it is not the seller's problem any more whatever happens.  They have been paid and that's the end of that.  

From there, Pitney-Bowes forwards the parcel on to you, usually passing it to Canada Post unless there is some reason it can't be mailed, like being too big & heavy.  But if CP can't deliver it, no choice but pass it back to P-B.  

Just make sure you are including any transaction numbers, like those in the email they sent.  

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

I received a message from ebay saying that I would need to respond to it with my correct address and change the address on my account to ensure that my item gets shipped to me.

How did eBay know you had no apartment number with your address?

Was the message actually from your seller?

Did you let your seller know the corrected address?

That's who is actually addressing the parcel.

EBay is 'just a venue' like the PennySaver or the classified ads in the back of the newspaper.

How big is your apartment building?

If you are in a fourplex, it is quite possible that your carrier knows your name and will deliver your parcel correctly.

If you are in a highrise, that's much more difficult for him.

Go to the postal outlet, if you think there has been an attempt to deliver your parcel and ask the counter clerk.

When a delivery is attempted the carrier is supposed to leave a notice for the recipient, but again, if you are one of 100 residents this is going to be difficult.

BTW, when you go to pick up your parcel, bring government issued photo ID, like a passport or drivers license. This is to prevent a neighbour from picking up your purchase.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

I would first of all contact the seller tosee if he already shipped your parcel. If not he can put the right address on the parcel. If it is already shipped it may reach your place or not depending if your postal delivery person can figure it out. Otherwise it will be returned to the seller. He may get in touch with you about resending the parcel & having you pay postage again. eBay as nothing to do with delivery.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

That's what i thought, but look at this excerpt from the message I got from ebay:

"If the shipping address and phone number are correct, let us know by replying to this email.

We'll hold your item for 7 days while we wait for your updated address. If we haven't heard from you by then, we'll dispose of your item. We don't return undeliverable items to sellers. Once you've received your item, please contact your seller for instructions if you'd like to return it."

This makes it seem like it won't actually go back to the seller. I haven't found any concrete info on this beyond this one email from ebay.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Sorry, I dont think I was clear in my first post. The item was "undeliverable" because I did not provide the apartment number to the seller, so it was shipped and then did not make it to me because of that. Now I am led to believe ebay is holding it. See this excerpt from the message I got from ebay:

"If the shipping address and phone number are correct, let us know by replying to this email.

We'll hold your item for 7 days while we wait for your updated address. If we haven't heard from you by then, we'll dispose of your item. We don't return undeliverable items to sellers. Once you've received your item, please contact your seller for instructions if you'd like to return it."

Is there any way to be sure that the item makes it to me and is not disposed of? I have not received a response from ebay yet.

Thanks

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

That doesn't make any sense. eBay has nothing to do with delivery. They can't dispose of the item as the seller still has it or sent it not them. I would phone customer service to ask about that. This may be a scam e-mail.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

I had 2 items returned to me in the past because the buyer gave me the wrong address. I then contacted them & resent it with the correct address. They had to pay for the postage again. Contact your seller & ask if he received your parcel back?

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

I wonder if this is an item purchased through the GSP? I've read on the .com boards that they sometimes dispose of items instead of returning them to the sellers when there is a problem.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

@jphantomm wrote:

Sorry, I dont think I was clear in my first post. The item was "undeliverable" because I did not provide the apartment number to the seller, so it was shipped and then did not make it to me because of that. Now I am led to believe ebay is holding it. See this excerpt from the message I got from ebay:

Is there any way to be sure that the item makes it to me and is not disposed of? I have not received a response from ebay yet.

EBay does not hold your items. If this is about the Nike Air Max 97 premium shoes then those were sent via the GSP, and as Pitney-Bowes has told you (since it is PB and not eBay who handles the transport at this point), they will hold it pending verification or else destroy the shoes. The do not return items to sellers, as they have said.

My advice then is to reply to that email as quickly as your little fingers can click in the correct address. You might also like to send Pitney-Bowes an email about all this, including any transaction numbers.  Here is a contact information page with their email address and a phone number.  I suggest you use it right away because if the shoes are destroyed it will be YOUR fault for not providing a correct address.  An incorrect address also negates your buyer protection, so get on it right away.

http://www.pitneybowes.com/us/global-ecommerce/contact-us.html

Then make sure you have your correct and complete address in your eBay account, PayPal, credit card, bank, and anywhere else.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@vintagenorth wrote:

I wonder if this is an item purchased through the GSP? I've read on the .com boards that they sometimes dispose of items instead of returning them to the sellers when there is a problem.

LOL!  Exactly what I thought when I read the first post (just not as fast a typist).  I checked the item and it WAS a GSP item (shoes) and if Pitney-Bowes does not get the information they need, they will dump the item.  It is a buyer's responsibility to make absolute sure they have the correct address & contact  information before buying.  

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Thanks, this is very helpful- it was about that order. 

I had no idea it was Pitney-Bowes holding the item! Have attempted to call but they are busy, left a voicemail, sent an email.

Hopefully this will work out, trying my best to find out what is going on

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@jphantomm wrote:

Did you also reply to that email inquiry from them?   Leave no stone unturned.   🙂  

With a GSP sale, the seller mails the item to Kentucky and after that it is not the seller's problem any more whatever happens.  They have been paid and that's the end of that.  

From there, Pitney-Bowes forwards the parcel on to you, usually passing it to Canada Post unless there is some reason it can't be mailed, like being too big & heavy.  But if CP can't deliver it, no choice but pass it back to P-B.  

Just make sure you are including any transaction numbers, like those in the email they sent.  

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

jphantomm
Community Member
Thanks again for the prompt and detailed replies!! I have now been able to call someone at Pitney-Bowes, who was able to pull up the file for this item and input the apartment number. They said that their vendor has not yet reported receiving the item, but that this updated info will be applied for reshipment.
Also sent yet another reply to the message that I received from ebay with that info.
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Wonderful!  It's so good to be useful.  🙂   

Fingers crossed.  And let us all know when the shoes arrive.  After all this, they better fit.  lol!  

Message 14 of 14
latest reply