Question on Importing goods

I want to look at the possibility to import some of my products directly from the manufacturer (based in USA) instead of buying them from a Canadian distributor. I went on the CBSA web site and everything seems complicated. Are you using a broker to do your importations? If yes which one? Any comments are more than welcome.

Thanks,

Come to my store
Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

"Are you using a broker to do your importations?"

Depends on the size of the shipment.

For single shipments with value exceeding $10,000 it is often advisable to use an experienced customs broker. For shipment under $10,000, the carrier (UPS, Fed-EX, etc..) can arrange custom clearange for you.

Fees are competitive. UPS (for example): http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

If the shipment is small and comes by mail, then the brokerage fee charged by Canada Post is only $5.
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Thanks Pierre for your answer. I was under the impression that the 5$ charged by Post Canada was for personal transaction.

Come to my store
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

If you're going to be personally picking your stuff up in the States, talk to dipmicro - he's had some horrible experiences with Canadian Customs.

Also, be aware that you should have a broker if you import stuff that has to come by truck - otherwise, it has to come in under customs bond and that is Expen$ive. -------------------------------------------------------------------

It is our similarities that make us all human - it is our differences that make us all interesting

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Fees are competitive. UPS

Competitive above $5,000. Former employer had contract w/ Livingston International and they charged $15/line. The rates might have gone up since then.

I talk to truck drivers when crossing twice a week and apparently it costs $100 to clear 13,000lb of bananas.

Are you using a broker to do your importations

You don't need one for values less than $1600. I also spent a weekend researching the subject like yourself, got intimidated like yourself so I thrown myself into the water, accepted small commercial shipment and told the officer in the booth I need help with my first self-clearing.

It's actually simple to import to Canada. I go through Livingston/Queenston, they let you prepare and print paperwork right there and even have a computer available for public for that purpose.

Check this post out:

http://forums.ebay.ca/topic/Canadian-Powersellers-Discussion/Tool-To-Help/600032654&#msg600654364
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Importing US to CA is a piece of cake.

For shipments up to, say, 10-15KG we always ask that the seller ship via USPS.

The post office charges $5 only if customs flags the shipment, which is only 50/50 it seems. We have had $2,000 boxes sail right past them 🙂

If they do flag it, it is either 5% + 7% or only 5%. In either case we claim back the taxes.

For heavier shipments, we have the seller arrange trucking and use a border broker. They cost but are worth it for us as we have no time to do this ourselves.

Using your PST# with the broker, you will not have to pay such.

Technically, there is duty for non-nafta goods but we never had to pay it, even though the boxes and the goods are endowed with "Made in China".

Couriers should also work well but we have little experience with them as our shipments are either smaller boxes or pallets, not much in between.

Bernie
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Interesting topic. I'm an hour drive from the nearest US post office and have been thinking about setting up a post office box there because the shipping can easily double the cost of my inventory. I'm just not sure what I need to do in terms of complying to any border regulations. I would not be bringing across more than 1k/year and would go no more than 4 times a year.
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Thank you all for your answers.

I will not go to the border (too far away from me).

I will start with a value of about 1000$. The shipment should be about 15 - 20 kg so USPS should be a good choice for the try out.

Come to my store
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

If you look a little farther back on this board, there have been some extensive discussions on the ins and outs of shipping through USPS and how to cross the border.

It's scary the first time, but gets easier quickly.

Questionable if it's worth it for you to only ship $1K per year, but you can decide after you read the posts.

I think one of the posts is OP'd by dipmicro if you want to use the search function. -------------------------------------------------------------------

It is our similarities that make us all human - it is our differences that make us all interesting

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 9 of 14
latest reply

If you look a little farther back on this board, there have been some extensive discussions on the ins and outs of shipping through USPS and how to cross the border.

It's scary the first time, but gets easier quickly.

Questionable if it's worth it for you to only ship $1K per year, but you can decide after you read the posts.

Ok thanks. I will read through the threads. I am not interested in getting a PO box so I can ship from the USPS though. That is certainly not worth my time. What I would like however, is to save a few hundred dollars in the shipping costs I pay to have my inventory items shipped here.
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Welllll.....

You might be able to have the shipper tell the transport company to "Hold at Terminal" if the transport comes to a border point near you and has a terminal there.

That will cut the costs quite a bit - it's expensive to cross the border in a truck.

Most transports will do it on request, but some shippers balk because they're not shipping it to the customer, just sort of leaving it out there hanging. -------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Yes I use a Customs Broker exclusively. My shipments from the US are always large, and quite expensive, and the peace of mind and cost effectiveness of using a good broker is great.
To answer your question, I use Davidsons Custom Brokers Ltd (Kitchener, ON). I was referred to them by another large local business, and I have nothing but great things to say about them. Everything comes right to my door via UPS, and always within 5 days of ordering.
Convenience and cost? Amazing. I've never got out of my seat to clear anything and never will. Some things are definately worth paying for and this is one of them for sure.
The costs and all the GST associated with the brokerage all get claimed back on my taxes, so it just doesnt get any better!

Cheers,
AXE
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Thanks Axe, I will check them out.

Come to my store
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

My pleasure. For more info, their website is here:
http://www.custombroker.cc/