Recent Changes - Helpful Links

miriam@ebay.com
Community Member
Hello folks,

Here are some links for information on the changes that were announced on 1/29.

Bill Cobb's announcement:
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/ca/200801.shtml#2008-01-29085842

Jim Ambach's announcement:
http://www2.ebay.com/aw/ca/200801.shtml#2008-01-29092134

Overview of Changes:
http://pages.ebay.ca/sell/update08/overview/index.html

Fees Changes:
http://pages.ebay.ca/sell/update08/basic/index.html

Fees FAQs:
http://pages.ebay.ca/sell/update08/feefaq/index.html

Rewards & Standards:
http://pages.ebay.ca/sell/update08/rewards/index.html

Rewards & Standards FAQs:
http://pages.ebay.ca/sell/update08/rewardsfaq/index.html

eBay eCommerce Forum Keynote Archive:
http://www.iian.ibeam.com/events/pmtv001/25201/

eBay eCommerce Forum Q&A Session Archive:
http://www.iian.ibeam.com/events/pmtv001/25431/

eBay Seller Webinar Archive:
https://www110.livemeeting.com/cc/vcc-ic03/view?id=ic03-rewards1&role=attend&pw=view

PowerSeller Changes:
http://pages.ebay.ca/services/buyandsell/powersellers.html

PowerSeller Fee Discounts:
http://pages.ebay.ca/services/buyandsell/powerseller/benefits/discounts.html

PowerSeller Fee Discounts FAQ:
http://pages.ebay.ca/services/buyandsell/powerseller/benefits/discounts_faq.html

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Miriam
Message 1 of 131
latest reply
130 REPLIES 130

tea_past_times
Community Member
Sorry Miriam, no time to go through your links, too busy moving my inventory to another site.....
Message 2 of 131
latest reply

Miriam - when you have anything useful to post here until then please do us all a favor and crawl back into you cubicle and count sheep or Z's.

Your post is totally useless - have you not been reading any of the posts in the powerseller forum -- what do you think we all have been talking about or the last few days now -- it certainly was not the weather.

what a bounce of --- nevermind, this company's arrogrance is totally mind blowing - do all employees at eBaY have to turn in their brains when they show up for work in the morning --hmmm -- how does one act like a robot for 8hrs about and then go home and act normal (or do you).
Message 3 of 131
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
future-that's mean! tisk tisk 😐 miriam is an actual person and doesn't make the rules that we all hate here on ebay-don't make her hate her own job by getting messages like that!
Kat
Message 4 of 131
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Showing off that charming personality and excessive class once again, eh future?

Monique

Message 5 of 131
latest reply

Ya and I see your up to your famous @ss kissing again to score with the new PINK - why not bring an apple on your next visit too.
Message 6 of 131
latest reply

Oh ya I forgot - your apple are way to salty just like your charm.
Message 7 of 131
latest reply

nevermind the apples monique - we would not want to harm the new pink now would we.
Message 8 of 131
latest reply

roflmao 🙂
Message 9 of 131
latest reply

Miriam,

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to post all these links into one comprehensive thread.

I did print out everything from these links today (gotta support our logging town LOL) and spent a couple of hours highlighting items.

Now, I do have some questions; a few actually.

If I post them here will you take the time to answer them (could be a long post ;-))?

Xena
Message 10 of 131
latest reply

miriam@ebay.com
Community Member
Hi xenalook,

Feel free to post your questions ... but I won't look at them unless you bring me an apple. 😉

Yes, please post away. I'm happy to find information and do my best to clarify any questions that the recent changes may have raised.

Cheers,

Miriam
Message 11 of 131
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
lol! good one miriam
Kat
Message 12 of 131
latest reply

Thanks Miriam!

I'll get to it later today. I have to drop by Safeway first and pick up a nice red apple. And then I need to polish it - just like in the good 'ol school days 😉

Xena
Message 13 of 131
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Miriam... I don't have any apples.:-(

Will apple brandy suffice?

Bill

Message 14 of 131
latest reply

Brandy?
Your book recommends apples...
Are you keeping the best tips for yourself or that in the "advanced" book?:^O
Message 15 of 131
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Hi Miriam,

I actually have a question with regard to the Occasional PayPal holds on payment.

28. When will PayPal release the eBay item hold?
PayPal will release the hold when the earliest of the following occurs:

* the buyer leaves positive feedback, or
* 21 days have passed without a dispute, claim, chargeback, or reversal filed on that transaction.
* confirmed delivery via USPS or FedEx

Why is UPS not included in this list? A UPS signature has always been valid proof of delivery for PayPal in the past.

Monique

Message 16 of 131
latest reply

palms_and_pdas
Community Member
Hi Miriam

Can you please explain why ebay as chosen the wording in the 5 star rating system a VERY accurate... Etc in all of the 5 star ratings ???

Was this a corporate plan last year in January when they were strategic planning the 5 star system and rollout in late summer ???

This in reflection of all the events leading up to this one seems preplanned to illuminate sellers and also keep sellers from getting the carrot or the discount for the of the 5% and 15%.

In a survey that we have conducted buyers do not see any service for shipping as VERY reasonable etc... unless you are shipping the items for free.

Also why will I be paying the same listing fees June 1st for my items when potentially my items or listings will be filtered out in the search engine based on the new criteria ???

Is this not discrimination and ebay ripping sellers off for millions of dollars again ???

So why do I pay the same amount of money to list an item as others but potentially will not be found by buyers due to your new rules ???

I have listened to many of the recorded forums on the website and have done a market analysis of traffic for ebay and have found a continual drop off in site traffic of 20% since 2004 doing my own research.

What is ebay doing to promote the website besides putting most of the new changes on the back of the sellers. Also how do we as seller check the performance of ebay in relation to the rest of the market ???

WHAT ARE THE FORECASTED SALES TARGETS FOR EBAY FOR ONLINE SALES, FORECASTED GROWTH AND CUSTOMER RETENTION EXPECTATIONS FOR 2008 AND 2009 ???

Can you also let us all know in the power seller forum what marketing initiatives ebay is doing to promote the site and bring traffic back based on the new changes, fee increases and extra revenue from the final value fees that are to be charged beginning Feb 20 2008 ???

I have seen little or no marketing by ebay in the last two years. When are the continual high fees increase going to relate to some advertising and promotions.

A 20% decrease in sale each year since 2004 shows that your company is not doing it job, losing the market to other online selling platforms.

We pay EBay for service and it is not delivering as required as a service provider.

You cannot just maintain the current customer base and not bring new customers into this market.

The one trend I have seen that is alarming one is that key executives are cashing in their ebay stock and options. This is a clear indicator of that they are getting out while the getting is good and the writing is on the wall.

This reminds me of Enron in the US when the company went under and the stock holders were left broke and holding the bag.

10 to 25 & sell through rate for smaller sellers is a losing proposition when you fees and cost of products are 60 percent of the sales for a year.

If the trend continues many sellers will not be able to afford to sell on the ebay market platform and move to free sites.

This is not Amazon.

EBay's new attitude seems to be and has been marketing this site as cheap or clearance deals.

EBay also is now stating that we as sellers must provide the best service at all costs (even with rampant fraud) with declining profits.

Were not many of trying to do this already as full time sellers ???

EBay has the means and software to remove bad sellers and buyers already but has chosen to turn a blind eye to their high shipping costs, poor feedback and questionable activities due to the high revenues and amount of product being listed and sold.

So why is this type of seller overlooked ???

We as smaller sellers suffer from larger sellers actions due to the buyer is now disgruntled and is looking to discredit all sellers large or small.

There are also many professional questionable buyers who will now have a clear slate to run rampant under the 3 strikes rule ebay seems to be putting into place and still maintain a 100% feedback rating.

How much damage will these type of buyers be able to inflict before EBay does anything since it does nothing now ???

Many of the sellers in the forum are to afraid to leave a negative as to not tarnish their near perfect feedback and the new system of feedback is going to wipe many of them out without reason from this type of buyer.

It seems that we are all being punished here for trying to survive in an already declining and fraudulent market.

OTHER WORDS MY TAKE HOME PAY WONT TAKE ME HOME.

The math is very simple (SALES in declining market - (COST OF GOODS + EXPENSES + LOSES )= Bankruptcy

Please reply to my questions and concerns above.

Al
Fitzheuen
Message 17 of 131
latest reply

Thank you for posting these links Miriam, I found them to be very helpful in putting all the upcoming changes into perspective.

Janice:-)
Message 18 of 131
latest reply

miriam@ebay.com
Community Member
Dear whoscloset,

I'm glad you brought this up because it illustrates a difference between the US and Canadian Occasional Payment Holds policy.

Confirmed delivery via USPS or FedEx will get the hold released for US sellers - however, it does not apply to Canadian sellers. This criteria was specifically removed on the corresponding ebay.ca page (http://pages.ebay.ca/sell/update08/rewardsfaq/index.html).

Give me a couple of hours to get the exact criteria around this - whether it has to do with the site you're listing on, the location of the item, your country of registration, etc.

I'll be back ...

Miriam
Message 19 of 131
latest reply

miriam@ebay.com
Community Member
Hi fitzheuen,

I'll do my best to answer your questions. However, some of the information you're asking for is not publicly available, such as forecasted customer retention stats for 08 and 09. For publicly available financial information, please read our Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2007 Results at http://investor.ebay.com/index.cfm. Toward the end of the document, we have our forecasted growth numbers for 2008.

OK, on to the questions I can answer:

You're concerned about the wording buyers see when selecting DSRs for sellers - your buyers say they would never select "very reasonable" for anything other than free shipping. Fair enough. I'd like to see better explanations of what the DSRs mean and how buyers should utilize them - we're working on some projects to improve that already.

In looking at the sellers in the top 10% of the shipping and handling charge DSR in the US, eBay found that these sellers do not necessarily offer free shipping. Their strength appears to be in clear, upfront communication to their buyers around shipping times, charges, etc.

Every seller's situation is going to be different, and I can't speak to yours specifically. However, I do think it is possible to get high DSRs in shipping and handling charges and time, even in Canada, based on what we've seen so far.

eBay does not want to force small sellers off the site. We want fraudsters off the site, and we want to reward sellers who do a great job.

Listings are NOT going to be filtered out of search. Many factors may influence where your listing appears in search, including Listing format, time remaining, keywords, price and shipping cost, Feedback and Detailed Seller Ratings. Sellers’ listings will always be searchable on eBay regardless of the sort-order, so all sellers will pay the same Insertion Fees even if demoted in Best Match.

In terms of marketing initiatives, again - we can't lay out our marketing strategy for the next year on a public forum. However, I can tell you that eBay has run international television campaigns for the last two years and continues to invest heavily in online advertising.

Regarding stock options, Meg is retiring at the end of March, and Bill at the end of the year. Speaking personally, I would expect them to manage their finances accordingly. Options don't last forever - they have time limits on them. If I left the company tomorrow, I would have to either cash in my options or give them up - I assume Bill and Meg have to make similar choices.

We have been fighting fraud since day one on eBay. These new changes are just one more weapon in our fight against the fraudsters. Last year's Seller Non Performance Policy changes saw many high volume sellers taken off the site because they had lousy feedback. Now sellers with high shipping, lousy customer service and crappy feedback are going to have to change their ways to succeed or find somewhere else to do business. We are cheerfully waving goodbye to this revenue.

In terms of bad buyers running amok on the site, no one knows that's going to happen - it's speculation. I do not believe hoards of neg-happy buyers are going to suddenly appear on the site when the feedback changes kick in.

Sure bad buyers exist ... they exist everywhere, on every venue, on or offline. Report them. When a pattern of bad behavior is established, eBay will suspend them and the negs disappear from your record. eBay has committed to stepping up resourcing around UPIs and feedback extortion.

I think every seller needs to look at the changes from their own business' perspective and see how they can adapt to them. I imagine most sellers are doing that now. Sellers have to adjust their business models to deal with changing times.

eBay is no different. We can't stick our head in the sand and pretend Amazon or any other competitor doesn't exist. That's what we've done here and will continue to do if we want to stay in business.

Miriam
Message 20 of 131
latest reply