~~Relisting & Changing Categories~~

jaymor8
Community Member
I would love to know what people's thoughts are on changing a category on a relist when the original category didn't get many hits. Is it considered dishonest to select a category that doesn't exactly fit the bill in an effort to acquire more hits? Example - Sapphire and diamond ring - I would list under sapphire but if it did poorly would it be better to list as 'diamond' the next time? Do people play with the categories for their benefit?

Jackie...
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

x-modz
Community Member
Going too far out of the proper category will simply get your item removed by eBay if someone complains..

I've been "creative" in the past with category listings, while still staying in the 'general' area of the proper category, and had decent success.

I find that most people seach by keyword however, not by category, so I'd lean more towards changing your title to catch more hits, then fiddling with categories.

That...and a clear, large, high-quality gallery pic.. 🙂
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

muminlaw
Community Member
I don't see why not! Nothing dishonest about it unless you list in a totally unrelated category, or do some keyword spamming - then eBay might get on your case. Besides, if it's got both stones what could be remotely construed as dishonest?

I'm just listing some postcards to put up for next week and lots of them fit into more that one category - on a relist I'll usually put them into one of the alternate categories - sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Glenda
Glenda

Click here to go to my Store
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

thebidwatcher
Community Member
I flip my categories all the time. Sometimes I double up and list in two categories, but on a $129 item with gallery, that can really add up.

So go for it with the category thing without fear. Only if you listed in your diamond ring in eBay motors would you be looking for love in the wrong places.

Lisa
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

kpamber
Community Member
Hey Jay,
I don't think that it would make a speck of difference in anyone being upset about it, for sure...half the time I don't even know if I'm listing it in the right category with these new things that they have...I figure if it shows up in jewelry, I'm okay. And, I always check by terms like, "Gold ring", or "Gold bracelet", etc...anytime I go to "diamond", I get a proliferation of cz's and a million other gemstones mixed with the diamonds (ie. emerald and diamond), etc...
Well, the dinner for 30 was a huge success, we're almost cleaned up, and I'm having a relax at the computer...feels good!
Karen
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

north-of-55
Community Member
I sell hobby tools and I sell far more under catagories like "model kits, radio control airplanes" etc, than under tools. If it is related, and will sell, I can't see who would complain.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

muminlaw
Community Member
Karen -- are you saying you threw a dinner for 30????? Sheeesh ... I have a hard time with dinner for 6!!!!

Wheeeewwww!!!!

Glenda
Glenda

Click here to go to my Store
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

kpamber
Community Member
Hi Glenda,
Yup, we have visitors from Australia until Wednesday...my husband's long lost cousin reappeared on the scene a few years ago (actually found us through the internet)...interesting story...anyhow, my in-laws went to visit him about 2 years ago in Australia. Now, they are returning the favour, but my in-laws are in their 80's, and can't possibly cope with a big thing like a dinner. The whole family had to come somewhere to meet them, and we are sort of central (from Toronto to Windsor)...my husband is the sweetest guy, and he treats all his family like gold, so he felt that we had to do something to get everyone together to meet them. I have to tell you that I am terribly spoiled by him as well. I did take a few days off of work to prepare the house, but am terribly lazy, and my son and his girlfriend did the bulk of the work to get the house spotless. John (my hubby) shampooed carpets on Saturday, and did alot of the legwork...because they are from Oz, he thought that they would appreciate seafood, as we all do, too. We had buckets of crab, salads, potatoes, shrimp, etc. Fortunately, there is a seafood distributor that is at our local market and he was able to procure a great price and lots of it. So we had the whole family, which is a fair number. Nobody cared if everything was perfect. Least of all me, I don't get hugely hung up on crystal and china with that many...paper plates work well enough. And I just had big green garbage bags out for the shells..
The good thing is, that my sister-in-law volunteered to have the family Christmas this year!!!We have done that for years, too.
It was great...and now, off to work again today...I'll sleep on Wednesday night. And I have to go out shopping to replenish my inventory because I am a huge jewelry nut, but so are my mother-in-law, niece, and the Aussie visitor. My collection is somewhat decimated now, but that's okay...we're going "shopping" tomorrow...that should be fun. Hopefully I can find enough things to list for Friday (LOL, what a chore)...
Karen
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
Hey K - they better not have absconded with any of MY fav pieces, I'm telling you that 🙂 I could just picture you yesterday with all the folks milling about your house and you just dying to get downstairs to check on your auctions. Tell me the truth - how many times did you actually go and take a peek??? LOL Anyway, it'll be all over soon, right? You were dreading it and look how much you ended up enjoying it. Throw some prawns on the barby!

Jackie...
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

kpamber
Community Member
Ah, you know me too well...actually, looking to see if anybody paid me...they are being awfully slow this week...And probably about 4 times. Good excuse to get away from the hubbub, until they were told that I sell on ebay, then all He!! broke loose...unless I was wearing it, or it had already been sold, they seemed to think it was fair game. Alot of my antique stock has been diminished...that's okay, with ebay being so variable...but my Bling Bling stayed firmly planted on my finger (it's a little tight, I wouldn't remove it)...and they tried to get my art nouveau, but no dice. Some things are sacred. OMG, I am so tired, I could go back to bed. John just left for work, he is barely coherent, I think that he's still sleeping. Left over stew for me for lunch...that's about all that's left in the house to eat that isn't of Scottish heritage...so I'll have to go get groceries on my way home. (Don't think that kippered herring would go over well in the staff room)...
Is Wednesday soon?
I'm wearing blue jeans to work today...between linens and towels etc., I didn't have time to do my own laundry...
Talk atcha tonite.
k
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

jaymor8
Community Member
K - you went to see if people paid you. Well, if your luck is anything like mine, don't hold your breath. I had three pathetic sales this week and only one has paid. The other asked for my patience and the third said she'd like to wait because she wants to bid on something I have for this week. Yeah...that makes sense. You should always hold back payment till you're done shopping. Even if it takes a month. Yeeeeesh. Let's just hope that sales pick up, soon. And for some unknown reason, I thought this weekend was the American Thanksgiving and I have been wishing people 'Happy Thanksgiving' in all of my emails. I am SOOOO ashamed. Ahhh....who the he// cares :))))

Jackie...
Message 11 of 11
latest reply