Reporting a seller , issues with request about canceling transaction before refunding buyer

I am hoping to file a report against a seller. This seller has a feedback score of 108521 and a positive feedback of 98.2%.

I thought I made the right choice purchasing something from this person but it turned out to be a nightmare. I feel very uncomfortable with his/her business conduct and I was mislead by this person's rating into buying from him/her. I thought for someone who has sell so many items(thousands), he/she would have made mistakes along the way and have received negative feedback, after all, despite all the negative feedback, he/she maintained a rating of 98%. 

Here goes my story:

My address is correct, and I have used the exact one to receive other ebay items. For some odd reasons, the item I bought from this seller never arrived. On the 30th day, I contacted the seller through ebay messages. This person started off with great promises, claimed that it might be due to delays, asked me to wait for a few more days and assured me that if I still haven't receive the item after that suggested date (still within the 45day deadline to file a dispute), let him/her know whether I want  a refund or a re-shipment, he/she will gladly do so. One important matter I have to point out is that when the seller talked about issuing a refund for me, he bolded WITH NO EXCUSE.

I waited and even extended the deadline abit, but still no item. Contacted the seller again and said I wanted a refund instead and his/her ebay message was to insist me to keep waiting. The weird part of the message was that he/she agreed to issue a refund provided I fulfill 2 conditions. (1) Give him/her 5 star with positive feedback  and (2) cancel the transaction first. I have never cancelled a transaction before and I thought it was weird to cancel before I get a refund. I called paypal and the rep. said I should never cancel a transaction if I have concerns towards any ebay items, because once i cancel, i can never file a dispute. Since it was so close to the 45day deadline, fearing I would not get my item or my money back, I filed a dispute.  

Even in the paypal resolution center messages, this seller continued to ask for 5 star positive feedback (even though I declined as I don't think it's fully justified), but this time, the seller he/she wants me to cancel the transaction "after" issuing a refund to me but did not indicate when he/she will issue the refund. Was it 1 business day after I gave him the confirmation? He/she left that very vague. Throughout his/her paypal resolution center message, the seller kept telling me not to escalate the claim, saying I would get the money one month after. That 1month piece of info was very different from the info l read online and on paypal, trying to confirm this, I called paypal again, and the rep. said if the case is in favor to the buyer, I would get the money on the 11th day. Then maybe a few other days for the $ get to my account. The rep helped me escalated the claim. Several days later, paypal emailed me that the case was in my favor. 

The whole experience was weird and unpleasant, but I 've learned much more about paypal policies. About that cancel transaction before refund matter, is it common? What are your thoughts?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Reporting a seller , issues with request about canceling transaction before refunding buyer

Hopefully you got a refund from Paypal.

Never cancel a transaction or leave feedback before refund.

This is a kind of feedback extortion, not allowed by eBay rules, you may want to report this seller : http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

For the record, 98.2% is a poor feedback rating.

Most sellers with any kind of experience maintain a FB rating of 99% with many at 99.5% or higher.

The "replacement" offer is a recent common scam, especially from Asian sellers. There is no reason to believe that the replacement will arrive on time, if ever, nor that the item will be satisfactory.

It is best to politely suggest a refund, followed by re-purchase of a replacement, if you still trust the seller.

About FB, it helps not just to look at the percentage but also to read the negatives for patterns of poor service. And keep in mind that all those neutrals make no difference to the FB percentage, but also reflect less than delighted customers.

Glad you got your money back.  I hope this never happens to you again. (Learning experienc! Doncha hate htose?) But again FTR,  Paypal is not the last step. If you were too late for the PP dispute, you can still go to the credit card you actually paid from and ask for a chargeback. PP is only the processor who keeps your information secret from the seller.

You should also know that the seller got another black mark on his selling record. This will affect in a small way his ability to list and sell as well as the price of his fees. 

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Hopefully you got a refund from Paypal.

Never cancel a transaction or leave feedback before refund.

This is a kind of feedback extortion, not allowed by eBay rules, you may want to report this seller : http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

For the record, 98.2% is a poor feedback rating.

Most sellers with any kind of experience maintain a FB rating of 99% with many at 99.5% or higher.

The "replacement" offer is a recent common scam, especially from Asian sellers. There is no reason to believe that the replacement will arrive on time, if ever, nor that the item will be satisfactory.

It is best to politely suggest a refund, followed by re-purchase of a replacement, if you still trust the seller.

About FB, it helps not just to look at the percentage but also to read the negatives for patterns of poor service. And keep in mind that all those neutrals make no difference to the FB percentage, but also reflect less than delighted customers.

Glad you got your money back.  I hope this never happens to you again. (Learning experienc! Doncha hate htose?) But again FTR,  Paypal is not the last step. If you were too late for the PP dispute, you can still go to the credit card you actually paid from and ask for a chargeback. PP is only the processor who keeps your information secret from the seller.

You should also know that the seller got another black mark on his selling record. This will affect in a small way his ability to list and sell as well as the price of his fees. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply