Return Request Error

A buyer requested a return through eBay, for Item Not as Described.  When I saw her explanation, I realized that she had the wrong seller. I communicated back to her through eBay and she acknowledged that I was not the guilty party. That was the end of our communication and I asked her to cancel the return request (I've never had one before, so I assumed that it would be her responsibility to close it, the same as any dispute).

This happened two days ago. I've just now received a message from eBay advising me that I only had two days left to finalize this issue (implicit in this message was that they would step in if I didn't). When I look at the drop-down action menu, I have 3 choices:

Issue Refund

Contact Buyer

Report this Buyer

I asked her twice to close the request at her end. It isn't a matter of her refusing. She has been very courteous and apologetic but I have a feeling she doesn't know how. So ..... does anyone know what will happen in two days time? Will they automatically refund her?  Will I get a defect?  I can't bear the thought of spending the rest of the evening on hold with eBay Customer Service so, hopefully, someone knows.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Return Request Error

I finally was able to speak to a CSR who advised me that only the buyer can close this request.  If she fails to do so, yes, eBay may simply take the money out of my account and levy a defect ..... since, evidently, her acknowledging in the dispute that she had contacted the wrong seller (which the CSR could see), isn't good enough.

I sent her instructions on how to close it but this will be the third time I've asked her and I think that she just can't be bothered or can't figure it out.

It's bad enough when we screw up and cause our own problems but when we're a victim of an error and still get penalized, it's a bitter pill to swallow.  Merry Christmas to me!

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Return Request Error

I think that the csr is mistaken. I've never been in that exact situation but I don't think that eBay will do anything unless the buyer asks them to step in.  The way that I understand it, at this point it is just a request.. it is not a case unless it is escalated and eBay doesn't make a decision until it is a case.  

I would have thought too that the cs could close the request on her end but  I could be wrong.You might want to try another rep as they all don't always have the same answers.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Return Request Error

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

I think that the csr is mistaken. I've never been in that exact situation but I don't think that eBay will do anything unless the buyer asks them to step in.  The way that I understand it, at this point it is just a request.. it is not a case unless it is escalated and eBay doesn't make a decision until it is a case.  

I would have thought too that the cs could close the request on her end but  I could be wrong.You might want to try another rep as they all don't always have the same answers.

Thanks .... that makes me feel a little bit better. 

I did ask the CSR to close it but she said she couldn't since the comments from the buyer did not specifically state that she wanted it closed.  She only stated that she had sent the request to the wrong seller (surely this should be good enough) and that she had not received my item yet.

It's possible the buyer is playing it safe and waiting for my package to arrive this week -- once bitten, twice shy.  But, of course, it could arrive after the deadline date.  So I'll just have to wait and see and try not to stress about it.  We're all going to get burnt by eBay at least two or three times a year.

I may have to wait until after the fact to try and get it resolved by a CSR.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply