SNAD refund process help

minaaura
Community Member

Hi everyone,

I've made a member of eBay for a number of years and for the first time I received something that is SNAD. I contacted the seller and they said they will refund me. I'm really not familiar with the process and hoping you guys can help me 😞 I just want to make sure I do everything correctly to cover myself. Since the seller will refund me, I won't be opening a case. My question is, what happens if the seller doesn't refund me or doesn't refund me the promised amount after they receive the item back? Will I still be covered by buyer's protection? And should I document every detail about the item and take pics including how I package it back? What are the proper/extra steps I should take to make sure I'm covered?

Please let me know. I really just want to get this over with. Thanks in advance 🙂

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

SNAD refund process help

"I won't be opening a case"

That may be a mistake.

Your protection comes in one of two ways:

1) you are dealing with an honest seller with a great reputation and the refund will be sent once the item is returned to him

2) you file the claim with eBay/PayPal.  You eventually get instructions from eBay/PayPal to return the item to the seller.  Follow instructions and the refund will be arranged soon after the item is received by the seller.

How much money is involved in total (original payment plus return postage)?

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

SNAD refund process help

minaaura
Community Member

Hi there,

the item was $99.95 and shipping was $29. I believe i was over charged in shipping as well but I accepted it as part of the cost for the item. I'm hoping I could get part of it back since I'll have to absorb the cost for return shipping.

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

SNAD refund process help

You have 45 days to file a case with ebay or paypal and if you have not received your refund during that time frame .............. say 40 days.............. then make sure you open a case.

The best way for you to return this item is to go to paypal and use the expedited service there to return the item.

That way it will be shipped with tracking and be on file with paypal.

You will be refunded you original payment including the cost of shipping.

Just be on your toes and don't allow any deadlines to pass.

Depending on the seller and why you are returning it some will help with return shipping IF the item was broken or misrepresented but you are not entitled to return shipping.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

SNAD refund process help

minaaura
Community Member

i*m-still-here, thank you for your reply. So I should open a case with Paypal and not eBay? Also, I've never used Paypal shipping before and am concerned with the shipping cost. I'm hoping to use the most cost-efficient method that has online tracking. Can I go to the post office myself and then upload the information into Paypal?

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

SNAD refund process help

You can ship from the PO or a a Postal outlet. but I suggested paypal shipping because it will cost you less in most cases when you use expedited and has the added benefit of being on record.

You can use either though and upload the information.

If the seller has given you any reason to be nervous you should open a case now. but if not you could wait but not beyond day 40 or so if the seller is working with you.

I would go with filing with ebay, but I'm not entirely sure if one has a benefit over the other in your case.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

SNAD refund process help

I want to add just to be thorough because I have had no experience with the following.

I'm pretty sure that tracking information is retroactive and that opening a case before necessary isn't required.

That is.............. if the item is returned before opening a case that information should be adequate for tracking............. I think.

It's common sense and I don't want to advise opening a case unless necessary, but it is not something I have experience with.  

The safest way for you is to open the case before returning the item but if the seller is being decent then it would be nice if you can reciprocate. 

No?

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

SNAD refund process help

minaaura
Community Member

I agree and that's why I'm hesitating. I don't want to open a case but I feel like I should to protect myself. I'm waiting for the seller to reply. I want to see if we can work out the shipping because I really think it's unfair I should shell out $29 (original shipping) plus however much return shipping is when the listing wasn't accurate.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

SNAD refund process help

You will get the original shipping ($29) refunded in addition to item cost so do not worry about that.

Some sellers will also refund return shipping if the problem is their fault.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

SNAD refund process help

minaaura
Community Member

Do you mean if the seller offers a refund they have to refund the original shipping as well even if I don't open a case? Sorry for all the questions.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

SNAD refund process help

windapp
Community Member

The only place where you really don't need to open a dispute is when the seller is giving you a partial refund (for repair, for example), and you are keeping the item.  In that case, the seller gives you the refund, you are happy, and no need to worry.

Opening a dispute does not mean that you are getting adversarial. Ebay, and paypal don't get involved until you escalate it to a case.  If you don't open a dispute , the seller should, and probably will do it himself as final value fees are not refunded unless a dispute is opened.  If you don't want to hurt the sellers feelings, message in the regular way (you can even mention the bit about being concerned about his final value fee refund), and say that you are opening the dispute.  Within the dispute, make sure that you are clear on what the seller is agreeing to.  If he is agreeing to a full refund including shipping, make sure he says he is.   If he is agreeing to refund return shipping, make sure that is in there too.  Whatever you agree to in the dispute is binding.

Then you just ship the item back (with some form of tracking), and expect refund within 3 days of it arriving.  If you don't get the refund by the day before the dispute deadline, make sure you escalate to a case as your protection goes away if you go past the time limits.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

SNAD refund process help

minaaura
Community Member

windapp, thank you for your answer. I wanted to open a dispute but was afraid the seller might be offended but what you said makes sense 🙂

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

SNAD refund process help

Yes, if you open a dispute then at least everything is clear to both you and the seller.  

You return the item with tracking and get your original payment refunded (item cost plus shipping), unless you negotiate something else with the seller.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

SNAD refund process help

Just to clarify in a return situation......

So the buyer sends back the item, with tracking, insurance, and signature required. Does Payapl refund the money automatically once that tracking information shows package was "delivered" OR does the receiver (i.e., seller) have to confirm they actually received it, everything is included, and in proper condition, etc. BEFORE Paypal refunds the money?

In my situation, with an unresponsive seller, I'm not overly confindent in my seller's ability or desire to confirm receipt etc.

Thank you

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

SNAD refund process help

If the seller is unresponsive then by all means open a case.

Paypal will ask you to provide the tracking information.

You'll see when the package has been delivered and if the seller hasn't refunded within a day email the seller and if there's no refund promptly contact paypal.

Paypal will see that the item was delivered and they will refund on behalf of the seller.

That's why they insist on tracking for returns.

Message 15 of 15
latest reply