SPRING SELLER UPDATE 2016

Anyone know when the Spring Seller Update 2016 will be announced? Any rustlings in the wind? Any rumours in the mill?

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

@dreamturtle.ty wrote:

Anyone know when the Spring Seller Update 2016 will be announced? Any rustlings in the wind? Any rumours in the mill?

Raphael does.

When asked about the Spring 2016 update in the March 3nd 2016 Weekly Session said:

For obvious reasons, it's impossible for me to answer these questions, other than to say that yes, there is a Spring Update coming.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Should be any day now.......

2012 was on Feb 28

2013 was on March 19

2014 was on March 11

2015 was on March 17

My wild guess........nothing major will change.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@recped wrote:

Should be any day now.......

2012 was on Feb 28

2013 was on March 19

2014 was on March 11

2015 was on March 17

My wild guess........nothing major will change.

All dates above are a Tuesday. So if the pattern follows on a Tuesday, then a high chance of next Tuesday, March 15, 2016.

As for changes, nothing I heard so far. The Spring Update usually has fee related changes as one of its changes. Maybe more free listings for store and non-store? This would be nice. Maybe that is why free promos seem to be on hold? Hard to tell.

Hopefully any changes will not mean more work for sellers to adapt to new rules.

If I could dream a little, a new commitment to fixing glitches ...

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

" Maybe more free listings for store and non-store?"

I'd be very surprised. I also begin to think the frequent widespread free listing offers are gone for good. I expect less frequent more targeted ones.

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@higgswtop12 wrote:

" Maybe more free listings for store and non-store?"

I'd be very surprised. I also begin to think the frequent widespread free listing offers are gone for good. I expect less frequent more targeted ones.

In the last weakly session with Raphael, a question was asked about free promos and Raphael stated that there will be free promos.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Weekly-Chat-Session/March-3nd-2016-Weekly-Session/m-p/328432

post 15 - March 3, 2016

@forester_studios wrote:

Hi -  It's been over a month since eBay ran a free listing promo.  Many sellers are wondering if there will be any more offered in the near future.  Any info on this would be appreciated.  Thanks!  Smiley Happy

Hello forester_studios,

I don't know the exact dates but I can confirm there are more promos coming. Stay tuned.

Because of the absence of the free promos and the Seller Update coming out, that is why I speculate that there will be a change (increase) in the number of free listings offered with a non-store or store account. It makes no sense to continually offer free promos on a regular basis and make sellers wait for them because of the regularity of them The site is flooded with free listings anyway so why not just increase the number of free listings and stop the games with making sellers wait and RELY on them. Some items are just too low priced (like stamps or sports card) to ever pay insertion fees and there is a great variety of these items to list for these type of sellers.

No point to speculate with a week or two to go for the new Spring Update announcement.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

" Some items are just too low priced (like stamps or sports card) to ever pay insertion fees and there is a great variety of these items to list for these type of sellers"

I agree...but eBay may no longer want these as now they only get the very small fvf fees they produce and no longer get the paypal per transaction fee as they do not own it now.

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:
Some items are just too low priced (like stamps or sports card) to ever pay insertion fees and there is a great variety of these items to list for these type of sellers

Exactly. Or like mine, they are books targeted at small niche so only when the right buyer came at the right time will find them. I had some books that I listed for 3+ years and they didn't sell, then suddenly someone came by and bought about 10 books (over the span of a few months, she bought about 1-2 a month) because I was still listing them with the free promos. Had I listed them regularly, these 10 books would have costed me 0.30 x 10 x 36 months = $108, and their average sold price was $15-25 each... so it doesn't make sense for me to just keep paying insertion fee when I have no idea when that "right" buyer would show up. 

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

All that can be done is to wait and see what eBay does. If the free listings become much more scarce or targeted this venue will not be suitable for selling such items. I hope it does not come to that as many customers first come here looking for that kind of hard to find stuff and then become regular buyers here. If just looking for general merchandise most who have not shopped here before go to the river instead. I think it would be a mistake to eliminate the specialty sellers with low sell through rates.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

nothing yet .... waiting ... waiting ...

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@dreamturtle.ty wrote:

I was expecting the Seller Update this morning also. The first thing I checked today was eBay Announcements. Sigh. Just want to know what impact it is going to have. Hopefully all good and no or little bad.

Maybe next Tuesday if the announcements follows the pattern of Tuesdays.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@pocomocomputing wrote:

@dreamturtle.ty wrote:

I was expecting the Seller Update this morning also. The first thing I checked today was eBay Announcements. Sigh. Just want to know what impact it is going to have. Hopefully all good and no or little bad.

Maybe next Tuesday if the announcements follows the pattern of Tuesdays.

You will hear about it before eBay actually announces the date. Probably 3 - 5 days early it will leak out via ecommercebytes. One or two days before the full info is released there will be some tidbits leaked.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are you looking forward to it?  For myself, I would want it not to come unless it contains many positive things for the sellers, otherwise don't develop them every year!

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Are you looking forward to it?  NO

eBay changes the rules and the seller is left trying to figure out how to change his/her business model in order to minimize impact, maintain maximum sales/profit, and abide to all rule changes. 

This biannual event slowly sucks the fun out of selling on this site and is probably the number one reason why I tell my peers to consider a career or hobby with eBay very carefully and with caution.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply