Sales Down Since June, Please Help.

Hi,

This is practically my fist summer season, and the sales have been going down since early June.

I checked my listings, they're still on first page of best match results, but viewership and "watch-ship" have been down significantly.

I thought it was the World Cup but then there's not so many games around these days and sales is still quite down (half of what's in May).

I wonder if this is normal during the summer (for people are having more outdoor activities), or there might be something wrong that I do?

Thanks very much everyone,

Alex
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Hi Alex,

My sales were very poor for June compared to what I have done other years. Some sellers are still doing well but there are many others who have reported a big decrease in sales recently, especially since all Store listings were dumped into core search. Have a look at this link to a discussion on the .com site.

Link

On the plus side, I have found that my sales are picking up this month. Hopefully that trend will continue for everyone.

Judy
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

That link did not work for some reason. If you log into the U.S. powerseller discussion board just look for this title:

5 DAYS STRAIGHT, NOT 1 SALES. SELLING FOR 10 YRS.WHAT THE IS GOING ON HERE!

It should be easy to find. There are presently over 5600 posts to this thread.

Good luck with your sales.
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

I've been very busy on all my accounts. And DH's sales are way up too, both in numbers and in value of sales.

I was wondering if the new system with Stores back in Core would be good or bad, and was giving it until July to prove itself.

And boy has it ever!

I suspect that it has a lot to do with the category. Both his stuff and mine tend to be Searched by key words rather than category.

Both of us are selling collectibles in various categories. Nothing exactly new, nothing with a lot of competition.

It comes down to niches... find a niche and own it.
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

"And DH's sales are way up too, both in numbers and in value of sales. '

That is interesting! My sales were down in June (both on eBay, website and directly), following the same pattern I have seen for the last twenty-three years in the stamp business.
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Sales are down across my whole niche. I think unless you are in tourism, hospitality, eatery, air conditioning, barbecues or similar business, your sales will go down during the summer. Perhaps summer sporting goods may do well too.

I was looking for the translation of "cucumber time" (which is direct translation from my first language - referring to summer months when business is low and it's time to pickle cucumbers or generally referring to low sales of particular business even if it does not overlap with actual cucumber collecting time) and it came up with "silly season" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silly_season). Never heard it before 🙂
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Sales are down across my whole niche. I think unless you are in tourism, hospitality, eatery, air conditioning, barbecues or similar business, your sales will go down during the summer. Perhaps summer sporting goods may do well too.

I was looking for the translation of "cucumber time" (which is direct translation from my first language - referring to summer months when business is low and it's time to pickle cucumbers or generally referring to low sales of particular business even if it does not overlap with actual cucumber collecting time) and it came up with "silly season" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silly_season). Never heard it before 🙂

That is just plain silly Dipmicro!.......;-):^O
Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Thanks western,

Well now after reading that 5800-post thread, I did get a few ideas on the reasons for the drop in sales, but the more I read it, the more I realized that everybody was at the complete mercy of eBay and we as sellers have yet to find strategies to improve our sales after this recent changes. Of course, building up presence elsewhere is now something we sellers probably must do.

Having spent hours reading the many posts in that thread (MAN we sellers are chatty when we have time now, thanks to the next-to-none sales XD), please allow me to summarize some other posters' key ideas on the recent drastic drop in sales, just in case someone else wondered the same as I did. Some are just thoughts, guesses, and rumors.

1. eBay make changes, which takes places on new servers and isn't search-engine-friendly at all, as search engines have to re-index all your listings on the new ebay server IPs, which leads to hefty drop in traffic. And traffic is everything we ever needed.

2. Increased competition from eBay integrating store listings into the best match results.

a. Store listings used to have little exposure as eBay used to prioritize auctions and BIN listings, but now they have been poured in.

b. I also saw people mentioned that eBay China doesn't charge fees for listing, which is why there are thousands of flooding listings of the same items from Chinese/HK sellers. If this is true, it's rather unfair for us north american sellers, nothing can beat free, and we cannot afford to compete by further increasing number of listings which don't sell through.

c. when you have 30-50% more listings (which is what happened to my niche), your exposure is bound to decrease, not to mention the already decreased exposure from search engines.

3. Maybe the economy and summer time play some part, but the effect can be ignored, because some of the other major marketplaces are doing just well with increased sales and traffic. Not happening here on ebay, unfortunately. Sellers who compare year-to-year same month sales can immediately see this. They expect slow sales, but not sales that drop by 80-90%.

4. There are glitches here and there. Buyers mentioned items disappearing from their watch list. NOW we sellers finally know why items with like 5 watchers still don't sell anymore.

5. There's also conspiracy theory that eBay is trying to get rid of small sellers with all these changes. It is true that small sellers are taking on larger portion of the hit, which can be vital to their business. But I personally think the big sellers are facing all the same problems as well.

And the only winner, in the short term, is eBay with the increased fees from integrating store listings into regular BIN listings.

However, in the long run, this is frankly as stupid as it can be. I see many posters saying that they're closing down and have to quit eBay. If a large portion of the small sellers do leave, buyers won't find what they want, what's in it for eBay?

Plus, sellers are usually buyers too because we spent so much of our time on ebay, we know we used to be find deals on just about anything here. Maybe now we and other buyers won't be able to anymore, or at least we will find it difficult to find what we want, because of the flooded, clustered listings.

I have been spending a lot of time building up my own online store since last time I experienced the same pain with eBay's "improvements" and "rules". It didn't bring in as much income as eBay did, but I'm more than ever determined to put effort there than here. Some sellers mentioned they actually saw rise in traffic with some of their other ventures and own websites. Well it makes sense to me, if prospecting customers do not come to eBay anymore, the other places are bound to have more traffic.

Please share your thoughts, especially in that 5800-post thread with the title 5 DAYS STRAIGHT, NOT 1 SALES. SELLING FOR 10 YRS.WHAT THE IS GOING ON HERE!

Let me try the link.
Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Good grief...you read the whole thing?...lol. I just skimmed through it but have read lots of other threads on the U.S. board regarding the same subject. I expect my sales to be down at this time of year but not by this much.

If you subscribe to Auctionbytes at dot com you will get frequent updates on what is happening on eBay.

Thanks for posting that great summary. I know it took a great deal of time to read those posts and summarize them.

As for buying on eBay, everyone I talk to off eBay, and who are not sellers, do not like the changes or the time it takes pages to load. Some are shopping elsewhere because they can't find the good used things they used to buy. In short, I haven't heard anyone say anything GOOD about buying on eBay for quite awhile. Sad!
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

"I realized that everybody was at the complete mercy of eBay "

Not really.

My off eBay sales are down as well.

And most sellers who use several marketing channels or venues generally experience the same trend, up, down or level.
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Everyone's slow June, July, & August, coast to coast in almost every niche. If they tell you their business is flourishing, well they're either really fortunate or they're full of sh*#.
I have a few powerselling buds that actually close up shop (put their eBay store on vac. mode) completely 'till September every year.
Maybe we can learn something from them....there's more to life than working for eBay, especially during our short lived, Canadian summer holidays!!!

Hey where's my Corona......

Cheers,
AXEB-)
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

What concerns me is the fact that so many big sellers are reporting their sales being down by as much as 75% from other years at this time. That is a huge drop. If you read that thread with close to 6000 posts in a just a few days you will see how many are affected.

I didn't read anywhere near all of them but have read enough threads on the U.S. board to know that MANY sellers are reporting huge decreases in sales and are very concerned about it. Many of them said they are doing well on other sites but not on eBay. Certain niches, like collectibles, seem to be reporting sales as usual. It is good to hear that some are doing well but it appears to me as though the overwhelming majority are doing worse than expected for this time of year.

As for the Corona, give me another 10 days and I will be sitting on a deck overlooking a lake in B.C., sipping a cold one, and watching the houseboats go by. Sure beats eBay any day!
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

" many big sellers are reporting their sales being down by as much as 75%'

Every year, we see thousands of sellers complaining sales are way down. However, by the time all the numbers are added up, total sales on eBay by ALL sellers are up.

Conclusion - whatever business is lost by some sellers is generally gained by others.
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

Unless one is specifically selling summer products, sales are inclined to recede during the summer months.

Our sales have not dropped much. However, this was only because we added many new products which had not been available for decades on the market. Without such, our sales would have dropped more, just like they did last summer.

The summer sales dip is fully normal and, every year, the boards light up with these discussions.

It is easy to get used to the gravy train but much more difficult to stomach any decreases in sales.

Bernie
Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Very tough to draw conclusions here.

Our sales have been both up and down over the past number of months, in most cases contrary to the expected historical pattern.

Page views and visitors this July are higher than ever for a July - this after the demise of Featured First, which we used quite a bit - so go figure. But, I have been seeing reports of discrepencies in the stats. I'm even getting huge variations between Esomniture and Andro or whatever it's called.

The other thing in our business is that one customer who buys more than one or two items can affect the numbers very fast.

So, guess it's put your head down and try to do things even better.

The one pattern I have noticed more than in past years is slow sales the last week of the month.
Message 15 of 15
latest reply