Same problems as five years ago -- inaccurate description, I am not willing to gamble longer

csemegi
Community Member

I am not even going to chase my money. I lost about $150 us, and they can eat it. I ordered four high-speed micro SD cards. The seller was full of good intentions, he communicated well. I put the darned thing to fill it up with data, and it took four days (or five) to fil it up quarter way through, then it died, and gave me a totally stupid error message.

This is preposterous. I am not willing to gamble any longer. I ordered four from this seller, as he sold multiples of the same product. "Fifteen bucks for a 64GB micro SD!! Yuyy!! This is great," and I ordered four. None of them work. I spent two days trying to fix them after they all proved to be faulty.

I am not even going to chase my money. "Wait two weeks, talk to the seller, maybe he can make you happy, contact eBay, contact PayPal (I paid with PayPal) etc". Well, I won't do that. I am not going to spend a lot of time and worry and effort, reading help files and keeping to a timeline that is prescribed.

They can eat my money. This very same type of thing happened five  years ago when I last used eBay. The problems were different -- the sellers simply refused to send the item, or they sent a replacement, or a wrong item, which was inferior in value, and a totally different object -- and in the last four transactions then three went sour, two gave me a refund, only one was kosher from start to finish.

This time I got one upsettingly inferior product, one product was good and no problemo from another seller, and a third item is en route to me from a third seller.

These odds are not good. It is a **bleep** shoot, and if you lose, you lose about two days of your life that you have to live on this precious Earth.

Recently I thought, "hey, I am sure eBay has cleaned up shop, they had five years to do so, let's buy some expensive stuff cheaply."

I quit in disgust then, I quit in disgust now.

EBay asks you to talk it over with the seller before leaving negative feedback. What is there to talk aobut? "Hey, gimmie back my money"? he will first ask for his product back, I pay postage, maybe the refund will come, maybe it won't. AND I waste another few hours over the course of a few weeks of my life. Also, the guy hardly spoke English. He was polite, nice, ready to please. I would have been pleased to the max if the product was anywhere near to what it promised to be or do.

No, sir. Enough of this. That cost me fifty bucks plus shipping. From the third seller I ordered ten of these blasted thngs!! Before waiting for this first bum order to arrive. A hundred and thirty bucks, since he sold it for $10 each, plus three bucks shipping each. No combined shipment fee.

If the first I open of the order still to arrive, and take out of its package won't work, I won't worry, I'll chuck the entire lot into the garbage where they belong, and shall refuse to go through the extra work and jumping through hoops and bending backwards keeping to the schedule of obtaining a refund. To the hell with it. I am staying away from eBay for good, or at least for a long time, until I get duped in by my own greed to get expensive products cheaply, only to get cheated by whatever seller.

So long, fellers.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Same problems as five years ago -- inaccurate description, I am not willing to gamble longer

It's worth looking at the sellers feedback, not very good for 2 of 3 of your sellers.

Also, with a low feedback number {under about a 100 reportedly} as a buyer, we can be targets for scamming sellers.

With my 50 feedback number showing, about one out of five purchases have definitely been "Not as Described". I've learned to ask more questions and not take the listing description at face value.

I returned one item with three obvious faults, which the seller was made aware of, and the seller just relisted it stating one fault. He did cover my return shipping costs, but it was wasted time. 

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

This is the one item I never recommend buying on ebay unless they are an authorized reseller.

Do not buy flash memory cards or flash memory sticks on ebay or anywhere else for that matter unless they are a verifiable authorized reseller. 

You goofed up. Buyers continually think that because it comes from China that it's cheap, and ok to be cheap. This is further and further away from the truth. 

Costs are costs are costs. The cost of items is increasing and gaining parity around the world. Even if you compare China to China. 

If everyone is selling a 64GB card for $100 and you find one for $15, it's FAKE. If it was possible to sell a $100 item for $15, competition would dictate that item sell for $15. If everyone else has to sell for $100 and somebody is magically able to sell for $15, they are not providing the same product. 

Unfortunately memory cards are very easy to spoof. They are available everywhere for cheap. Don't buy them. Buy only from an authorized reseller.

What you need to do is put in a claim right away with paypal and get your money back. Do not say the items are faulty, or broken or anything, or you will have to send them back.

Say that the items are COUNTERFEIT.

Download a program called h2testw from a reliable software site (cnet, or softpedia, hippo). Run  the program and you will see they are all the same size. Then when you put the claim in, say that the items are counterfeit and sold as 64GB "insert brand name" when in fact they are generic "insert actual size"

You should be able to get a refund without sending back.

If Paypal insists you send them back, get on the phone. Do not send them back. You will be throwing good money after bad.  

Get your money back. If paypal turns you down, which they shouldn't, go through your credit card company if you paid with a credit card through paypal. 

These cards are fake. The symptoms you describe are exactly what happens when a small card reads as larger, but then is filled up. 

You can literally buy millions of items on ebay that are genuine, good quality, and relatively inexpensive. If you are having this much trouble, you really need to reexamine your buying pattern. While ebay needs to do a better job, it's still your money.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

If everyone else has to sell for $100 and somebody is magically able to sell for $15, they are not providing the same product. 

Sometimes you have to accept responsibility for your own actions.

Pay $15 for an item and you get a $15 item.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thanks for the replies, people.

I'm through with eBay. I got burnt then, I got burnt now, to the wayside with it.

(*&(*$#@@!!

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thank you for your excellent reply. I said good-bye to the $50 and $119 shipping plus exchange charges on my visa.

I am not griping about the money. The way I look at it, if someone steals it from me, they need it more than I do. I live on very little income, but I manage, and I am not suffering, no financial worries. I let the Chinese guys keep the money.

My gripe is that I got a product that was lied about. And thanks for your words, how to get my money back, how to spot a deal that's too good. 

My gripe is the lie, the fact that he (both chinese sellers) had a high seller rating. I reckon they figured out how to increase feedback without selling good stuff. The first seller offered me a full refund to change my negative feedback to positive. I don't care about the money; I care more about a trading venue which can be trusted. A lot of people, too many, got shafted by this seller, I figure, but have no proof, so it's my opinion only; and some of these changed their negative to a positive when they got the money back.

I could go after my money, but it's a lot more headache, keeping to a schedule of "contact -wait- reply -report-", too much work, too much headache, to the drift with it. I mean, I do a lot of hoolaballoo muscle work and leg-work (figuratively) ONLY to get my money back. What's the idea behind that? It is much easier for me to throw my money out the window, than to go through this complicated cat-and-mouse game with me, the money and unscrupulous sellers.

I am really angry at eBay for not having cleaned up the marketplace they run. Jesus threw the merchants and "thieves" out the of the Temple; eBay ough to do the same with the marketplace they run.

So I am never going to buy anything here again. All this advice came after the fact. EBay brass should have been reading these pages to PREVENT exactly the sort of thing that happened to me.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply