Scanning Tracked Packet at PO requires customer number

Tried to deposit Tracked Packet USA in postal office, scanning barcode lead to the window that required to enter customer number, with no way to proceed without it.

Venture One card number will work for this, but I don't have it and didn't need it before this.

Is it a temporary glitch or a new requirement? When deposited in mail box, these packages always arrived without any problems. At least until now.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

This may be the problem.

In the past few weeks Canada Post has required that the Postal Clerks now enter the Postal or Zip code when scanning any type of scanned packet and I don't think they have done a very good job of letting their employees know about it. Some are completely baffled when the scanning procedure will not work until the enter the info.

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

You don't need a Venture1 to buy tracked packet on Paypal shipping. I am baffled.
Photobucket
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

This may be the problem.

In the past few weeks Canada Post has required that the Postal Clerks now enter the Postal or Zip code when scanning any type of scanned packet and I don't think they have done a very good job of letting their employees know about it. Some are completely baffled when the scanning procedure will not work until the enter the info.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

One has to enter  Postal code for Canada,  or Zip code to US when one purchases postage at local postal outlet.

It is a destination code, and is used to calculate postage..

A Ventureone card... number....  gives one a discount at the postal outlet...

The number on the Ventureone card is the customer number....

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

Canada Post's new promo has to do with online shipping

It appears that they are working to meet the needs of the online seller...    

It could be Canada Post's future  to serve the mail order business ...

and it may take some time  for the many people involved to adjust.

If you as an online seller understands the system.....  then  you become the source of information for the clerk behind the counter.

and if you deal with that clerk  every time... there is a measure of trust built up between you, the online seller,  and that clerk.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

What the clerk may be doing is transferring what has to be done when postage is bought at the counter, as opposed to postage bought through Paypal...

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

My husband dropped of a Paypal prepaid package for me yesterday at Canada Post, and the postal clerk said the same thing about a customer number. She gave my husband a hard time and said we'd probably get a bill in the mail for the package. Um, okay, I spent $60 shipping for that package. Never needed a customer number up to a week ago, as I shipped another prepaid package a week ago, no one asked me for a customer number then, or in the over ten years I've been shipping with Canada Post. I thought prepaid is supposed to be convenient, just drop it off and they scan it.

On another note, the Paypal prepaid package I shipped about a week ago, it arrived badly damaged, I had to partially refund the buyer. The item was packaged more than securely as I have over ten years on my belt of packaging awkward items such as heavy odd shape car parts like fenders, windshield and other window glass, car seats, bumpers, doors, alternators, and motorized seat frames, all arrived in perfect condition. The item that recently arrived damaged was made of metal. You would of had to run over it with a truck or drop it from a plane or building to get that kind of damage. It's probably because I put "Fragile" stickers on it that it ended up damaged, I put fragile stickers on the package because part of the item was made from plastic, don't worry, the plastic was in perfect condition with no damage. I purchased extra insurance as I always do on larger more valuable items, and have called Canada Post and started a claim. They are trying to contct the buyer to no availability.

With Canada Post's over exagerated pay rates and high shipping rates, you'd think they could at least manage to get a parcel to it's destination in one piece. I mean, I've seen employees from McDonald's and Tim Horton's make a mistake on an order, and have been yelled at by the customer, and they get paid minimum wage. It seems the more money you make in your job, the more you can get away with, like the politicians if you get my drift.

I have shipped a couple weeks ago a small packet air to the USA, and it still hasn't arrived and the customer is concerned, so I'm sure I'll be forking out more money for that item. I'm afraid to ship anything other than a letter or light packet. I'm sure soon they'll be taking the insurance and coverage off of all parcels, just like they did with small packet air, as long as raising their rates You definately don't get more when you pay more. Thanks Canada Post for your services!

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

Ok - one more time.

The Post Office computer is asking the Postal clerk for a number. It wants the Postal Code or Zip code for anything tracked. I just stand there and hold up the line till they get it right. They sometimes have to go get the supervisor who tells them to scan it and them put in the Postal or Zip code. Some times they have to go an look up what to do with eBay packages - eventually it gets done.

This started about a week or so ago.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

I guess I should also include that - all they have to do is look at the Postal or Zip code on your package and enter it after the scan. It will then be accepted.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

Are these actual CP's or RPO's? I am having no trouble at my Canada Post outlet. Mind you, the ladies at my PO have about 70 years of experience between the two of them.

Photobucket
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

I don't think this is a glitch, but part of Canada Post's new software update. There should be an option in the system for US eBay packages that don't require a customer number. In Calgary, they had switched over the system earlier this year and have been doing it for a couple of months now. The system does ask for the zip code and if a signature is required when this eBay option is selected. I drop off a bunch of packages every day and separate the US ones from the Canadian ones to make the process faster. For Canadian parcels printed through Paypal, they only have to scan them without entering the postal code or asking for a signature/

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Thank you, everyone! Good to know. Next time I'll try to give them zip code, then.

Melissas-minis, I feel for you. Although my small packages in "crashproof" boxes arrived without damage so far, but to know about last week I have to wait one week more (if anything changed again in the service).

Really appreciate your help, you all are great.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Next time I'll try to give them zip code

Why do you feel you need to? The zip or postal code is in the address on the package. The post office (CP station or RPO) would not accept a package without it.

Tom

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

When I have parcels that won't fit in the mail box, i just drop them on the counter and am heading out the door before the clerk even notices (while getting some weird looks from the people that are standing in line lol).  People are waiting in line with preprinted labels?!  The clerk can take as much time doing what ever she wants with them once Im gone, no my problem

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Well, zip code doesn't work, the screen accepts numbers only.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

Zip code is a US designation..... numbers only...10021 as an example

Canada has Postal codes which are a combination of letters and numbers......  M6H 2X2 as an example

Maybe  the clerk is asking for a customer number..... which for Canada Post, customer number is the Ventureone membership number....  a seven digit number.

If I do use Ventureone options....  the Ventureone number is listed on a receipt as the customer number.... Have just checked through my receipts....

The customer number could be a way for Canada Post to track parcels in relation to a business.....

Canada Post appears to be looking for a way to track online sales....  and payment through eBay/Paypal options....

Perhaps in relation to their new advertising campaign... in relation to the delivery of online packages...

The Ventureone program works for businesses....  and that Customer Number is specific  to a person/business...

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

So, Golden, what exactly is the situation with regard to acceptance of Tracked Packets by the PO? I personally don't use TP (to USA I see no advantage over Expedited Parcel and to the rest of the world the rates are beyond outrageous).

I find it difficult to believe that a Venture One customer number - or whatever - is a pre-requisite for mailing a TP.

Tom

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

I asked, yesterday, at my PO about the above issues. They looked at me with "What are you talking about". Zero issues here at a real Canada Post Office.
Photobucket
Message 18 of 19
latest reply

@mr.elmwood wrote:
I asked, yesterday, at my PO about the above issues. They looked at me with "What are you talking about". Zero issues here at a real Canada Post Office.

I've heard that at least some of the software changes are so that there is more control over what the postal outlets get paid for the packages that they put through. I don't know if that is the case with this particular change but if it is, that would explain why the 'regular' post office isn't effected.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply