Seller Cancellation

How do I handle a cancellation by a seller that doesnt give a reason? Should I accept the cancellation or decline it?
Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Seller Cancellation

Before you decline the cancellation, contact the seller and ask why?

If you get no reply or nonsense, then decline the cancellation and the seller will be stuck with the eBay fees. If you refuse to cancel, you can also leave appropriate feedback and DSRs (star ratings).

Message 2 of 44
latest reply

Seller Cancellation

Sending a request to cancel a transaction with no previous contact is very rude and that kind of behaviour is intolerable.

Are you able to pay the bill?

That is, is there an acceptable cost of shipping on the invoice?

If so, and if you really want the item then pay now.

Then, wait and see if the seller contacts you.  It's not your job to clean up the seller's mess.

If you don't want the item then that's another story and your course of action would differ depending on whether the seller has plugged a cost of shipping into the bill or not.

In short: Could you pay the bill if you wanted to?

Message 3 of 44
latest reply

Seller Cancellation

"and if you really want the item then pay now."

This is BAD, I mean BAD advice.

Message 4 of 44
latest reply

Seller Cancellation

In fact it is not only BAD, it is stupid.

You cannot force a seller to sell you.

By sending money to a seller who does not want to sell to you, you are looking at a possibly long and expensive procedure to get your money back.

If the seller does not ship, you may have to file a claim with PayPal to get your money back.  That takes time.

Then, once you get your money back, if the transaction was in US$ and paid with Cdn$, you will lose twice the conversion fee charged by PayPal or your credit card issuer or your bank.

Did I say stupid?

Why would anyone suggest a buyer be put in such a losing proposition?

Message 5 of 44
latest reply

Seller Cancellation

Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? And I'm not about to waste my time trying to change it.

I simply stated mine and there really is no need to get yourself all worked up over it and refer to the ideas of others as "Stupid" when and if you don't agree.

Message 6 of 44
latest reply

Seller Cancellation

"and refer to the ideas of others as "Stupid""

Not "others".

The specific idea to pay a seller who does not want to sell you an item and request cancellation is stupid and could be costly.  There is absolutely no advantage whatsoever in doing so.

Any experienced eBay buyer or seller would know that.

Message 7 of 44
latest reply

Seller Cancellation

My Goodness P******

Calling me stupid (or whoever got your goat at the moment)  is very small on your part.

I am not going to argue with you so please stop trying to instigate fights.

To the OP, if you really want the item then paying for it if you can will yield a polite apology from a seller and your item 9 times out of 10.

If you don't care then do whatever............

Message 8 of 44
latest reply

Seller Cancellation

"Calling me stupid..."

Please read the post carefully.  I did not call anyone stupid.  I called the suggestion to pay the seller stupid.

Anyone with real eBay experience as a buyer or seller would see that.

" can will yield a polite apology from a seller and your item 9 times out of 10."

That is also nonsense, NOT based on any facts.

Message 9 of 44
latest reply

Seller Cancellation

The point is simple:

Communicating with the reluctant seller is risk free and may, in some instances, yield positive results.

Paying the seller - with the risks of delays and loss of money - instead of communicating is a bad suggestion.

Message 10 of 44
latest reply

Seller Cancellation

P******  referring the ideas of others as stupid when you do not agree is very small on your part.

I understand that you do not agree.  I also acknowledge your opinion as valid and based on your experience, as is mine.  All in all, I'm pretty sure I've bought a lot more here than you have over the years but that does not mean that your ideas are not important .........

In any case, it's up to the OP and all I'm saying:  IF you want the item then my suggestion almost always results in an amicable transaction when all is said and done.

Message 11 of 44
latest reply

Seller Cancellation

Not that my opinion matters, but I'm sure many others might share it in this case....

If P***** offers a suggestion, one would be well-advised to listen to it. 

Something about constructive criticism here; it deconstructs the original bad idea, and constructs for you...a better idea.  No person was injured or attacked by the facts.

There are those on this board who attack the person instead of the issue on a regular basis, whenever they lack something else to attack, but that does not include P*****.

if he says something ( not someONE ) is stupid, you can take it to the bank that it is.

Beware of kittens with red bows, bullies in bandannas, and whining broken records.

€ Lucifleur

~Lucifleur
Message 12 of 44
latest reply

Seller Cancellation

P******  referring the ideas of others as stupid when you do not agree is very small on your part.

I understand that you do not agree.  I also acknowledge your opinion as valid and based on your experience, as is mine.  All in all, I'm pretty sure I've bought a lot more here than you have over the years but that does not mean that your ideas are not important .........

In any case, it's up to the OP and all I'm saying:  IF you want the item then my suggestion almost always results in an amicable transaction when all is said and done.

Message 13 of 44
latest reply

Seller Cancellation

Many come here to read and learn... They are the "lurkers" on this board.

Other people come with questions...  and in turn other people  comment on the problems.

Many who read this comment  see the option as stupid....

effectively  Do not pay.....

In one evening I had two purchases where buyers paid  ... Buyer immediately asked for a cancellation... Cancellation given quickly... payment refunded... and super positive feedback received in both cases....

It is a "stupid" option if a buyer pays when seller  asks for a cancellation.

It is also a "stupid" option to hold on to the money if buyer asks for a cancellation...

Just good business practice...  and not a "stupid" business practice...

"Stupid" refers to the fact  this "should not occur"....

Stupid = Should not occur....

Message 14 of 44
latest reply

Seller Cancellation

If we all jumped on all the posts that we considered "stupid" and labeled them as such, there would be a lot more name calling and bullying going on than there is.

If this isn't bullying, then what is?  Trust Me:  It sure feels like it is.

I've bought thousands of items here in well over a decade, and as far as I can see far more than any other regular poster.  I know how to buy with the least amount of hassle.

You can call me stupid all you want but I know what works and what does not work.

Message 15 of 44
latest reply

Seller Cancellation

"If this isn't bullying, then what is?"

Bullying is sending money to a seller who does not want to complete a transaction hoping to force him to ship the goods.

That is bullying.

Much better to communicate than trying to bully a seller to ship.

Too bad you cannot see that,  Most experienced eBay sellers and buyers do understand the higher value of communication over bullying.

Message 16 of 44
latest reply

Seller Cancellation

Nope: This is bullying.  What you do is.  

I said that IF the buyer really wanted the item, AND had been billed for shipping, then paying for it usually brings about the desired result and often with an apology.

Completing a transaction as agreed is hardly bullying.

Sending a request to cancel a transaction without a word, however, is passive bullying.......... isn't it?

Too bad you cannot see that!

Message 17 of 44
latest reply

Seller Cancellation

I said that IF the buyer really wanted the item, AND had been billed for shipping, then paying for it usually brings about the desired result and often with an apology.

I suppose that anything is possible but in my mind, that would be the least likely result.

I think that it is agreed that it is wrong for a seller who cancels a transaction without any explanation. Often, a seller will do it that way because they don't have a good reason for cancelling the item.

So why would they be cancelling it? Perhaps they didn't get as much as they hoped they would receive for the item or perhaps they have already sold the item to someone else. Maybe they have lost it or broken it or maybe they just changed their mind. My guess is that if it is for any of those reasons, payment would not result in the seller apologizing and sending the item.

Perhaps I'm missing something and there are other common reasons why a seller would cancel the sale without notice and yet be willing to send the item once payment had been made.

Message 18 of 44
latest reply

Seller Cancellation

AND had been billed for shipping...

We are not sure if the buyer received an invoice. We will have to wait & see if they were invoiced & then we can add to the discussion.

Sending a request to cancel a transaction without a word....

Frustrating, happens too often & definitely No Class on the sellers part.

Could it have been an auction item that do not receive the desired price ? Not sure.

IMO, I would not cancel.

Message 19 of 44
latest reply

Seller Cancellation

Missed PJ's post, good points.

Busy listening to the Jets / Bruins overtime period.

Message 20 of 44
latest reply