Seller admits to scamming but can't cancel payment

mikesmvl
Community Member

I just bought an iPhone 6s from a seller who was questionable. The paypal payment was pending and he told me he doesn't want to wait for it so he would refund it to me. Then he tried to scam me by sending me a paypal invoice right as the payment went through. I got him to admit finally over messages that he lied to me about the phone. Now I can't cancel the order because he faked that he already shipped the item when in reality he probably doesn't even have it. Is there anyway I can make the process of me getting back the money easy? I don't want to wait until the fake delivery date to make a ticket saying I didn't receive the item. The seller has no previous items sold and just wasted a bunch of my time. I'm really sick of having to deal with payments and refunds.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

mikesmvl
Community Member

Just to be clear I cancelled his invoice so the phone was only paid through ebay.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Paypal also has a Buyer Protection program.

Their Resolution Centre is under Tools at the top of your account page.

You can open an Item Not Received.

If the seller cannot prove Delivery (not shipping, delivery) you will be refunded.

There may be a short wait to allow for delivery, because most people are honest.

If the phone does arrive you can decide to accept it or to change the Dispute to Not As Described.

If you decide to return it for a refund, PP demands that you pay for the return.

While eBay does require the seller to pay for a return in a Not As Described dispute, this can't be done unless both parties are in the same country. So the cost of return is going to be on the buyer in any case.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

did he give you a tracking number?? if he did, then you will have to wait to receive it,  you can't file for  a refund until the expected delivery date has passed.. if you have email or message proof that he hasn;t actually sent you the phone, you can take that proof to the bank and do a charge back, but even then you need to make sure he hasn;t sent you a phone, because if he has sent a phone with tracking, paypal will look at the tracking info for sure..if he has indeed sent you something with tracking, be sure to open it in front of a postal person, so the can verify it was in there..

Message 4 of 4
latest reply