Seller doesn't respond from Germany for DHL tracking #

dwrightman519
Community Member

Hi, I bought from a seller in Germany who had no negative feedback after 79 transactions - 100%. I bought an expensive harmonica and paid for insured DHL shipping on June 16. The dealer sent the invoice. When I didn't hear back from at all I sent a request for the tracking number as every DHL pkg has tracking. I paid 36 Eur. btw for a package about 2lbs and the size of a shoe box. The seller didn't ship the item yet after a week and the last response was I'll ship it tomorrow. I've since sent a couple of messages asking for confirmation it was shipped and a number and I'm getting a sinking feeling about the whole thing. I know in terms of time lines I could wait another 30 days, but I feel I deserve some reassurances. I paid 177 EUR. or approx. $240 CDN. A good deal on the item but isn't that in part the lure of an auction to get a good deal and if the seller changed their mind why not just end the auction or set a reserve price. I looked at their feedback carefully and they have had items large and small with deals bigger than mine go through and even sold a seemingly valuable item for $1 once. Their communication feedback was less than perfect though. Always had positve experiences even internationally. When should I take action and am I over reacting too soon? It's the lack of communication that worries me. The seller is obviously bi-lingual and to be safe I wrote in english and used the google translator. Will me filing a case prematurely become an issue for me as a buyer? I want the item not my money back.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

As it has only been 10 days, the item could not possibly have arrived, as you know.  Hence, it would not really be reasonable to open a case on an item from Europe at this point.  You seem to know all about the 45 days in which to file a claim. 

Your seller has a shipping time DSR of 4.1.  That oughtta tell you something, -- don't be in a hurry.  As you yourself admit, there seems to be no problem with the seller 'not' shipping the items.  If you truly want your item, then I'd say at least wait a couple more weeks.  Some sellers are simply poor communicators - in any language. 

It is my opinion that filing a claim at this point would be dreadful and unfair.  If the seller has a Delivery Confirmation number and enters it in the claim, you will lose.  No real harm will come to you for having done that, except being on the seller's blocked list.  Moreover, if the seller has not yet sent the item, and you lose the claim, you cannot initiate a second claim if the item never arrives.  We never know a person.  You might infuriate the seller into not sending it.  And you would have no one to blame but yourself.

You have already sent messages to the seller, - further nagging will not make him fond of you.  If you genuinely want that item, it seems to me the only sensible thing to do is wait until it arrives. 

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

dwrightman519
Community Member

Thanks dmil8030, this is my first post and i appreciate the answer. Follow up - so I sent 3 messages total since June 21 asking for confirmation. Yes a pest but when the item wasn't shipped after 4 days from payment I was concerned - it was contrary to the listing. Also my messages where simple, non confrontational and polite. The last message I just asked if they wanted to keep the item instead and refund the payment. Surprise I got a response saying they don't want to refund the amount and for me not to worry. Still no tracking number but at least it's a response, they said don't worry. So I'll just wait and see for another 3 weeks even though I paid enough to have the package reach Canada in 2 days. so I'll heed the advice and wait it out. Thanks again.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Well , there goes that stereotype about efficient Germans.

I don't think I would start a Dispute yet, but if you have not received the harmonica by Day 30 after payment, file.

In my experience, it only takes two weeks (14 days) at most for an item shipped Air Mail to arrive in Canada from Europe. Faster than from the States usually.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply