Seller is asking me for more money for the item after I completed BIN

I just completed a BIN purchase for an item shipped free from Japan and paid in full via Paypal. The seller messaged me after I paid saying that his supplier has suddenly increased the price of the item and that I need to pay an additional $85 USD otherwise he will have to cancel and provide a refund. The listing price of the item has now increased (but my original transaction is at the lower price). Note that the increase in price is NOT for shipping. What is even more irritating is that we had been messaging back and forth regarding the item prior to me making the purchase.

Is the seller obligated to send me the item that I purchased at the original transaction price? I cannot find this information anywhere on eBay and the help/support sections are useless. I would like to receive the item at the original agreed upon price.

Thank you for your help.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Is the seller obligated to send me the item that I purchased at the original transaction price?

Ethically, yes.

But there is no way to force him to do so.

You could try a polite note saying that you do not agree to a cancellation and that you bid believing he had the item in stock already and that he gave no advance notice that his supplier would be substantially raising the wholesale price.

In other words, guilt trip him.

If he does ask for a cancellation and you do not agree, he will lose his selling fee and get a Defect for selling goods that are out of stock.

This will do you no good however.

It is likely that you will be refunded in full. (You might make a few pennies on the foreign exchange. )

You can leave appropriate feedback. The most effective feedback is calm and factual. 'Out of Stock. Refunded. Not happy.' for example.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Is the seller obligated to send me the item that I purchased at the original transaction price?

Ethically, yes.

But there is no way to force him to do so.

You could try a polite note saying that you do not agree to a cancellation and that you bid believing he had the item in stock already and that he gave no advance notice that his supplier would be substantially raising the wholesale price.

In other words, guilt trip him.

If he does ask for a cancellation and you do not agree, he will lose his selling fee and get a Defect for selling goods that are out of stock.

This will do you no good however.

It is likely that you will be refunded in full. (You might make a few pennies on the foreign exchange. )

You can leave appropriate feedback. The most effective feedback is calm and factual. 'Out of Stock. Refunded. Not happy.' for example.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

The member who answered before me has it correct.

It sounds as if you were dealing with a dropshipper and an inattentive one at that.

Once paid, a seller is supposed to provide the item purchased, no question. 

Unfortunately, not every seller is created equal and it seems you might have met one with poor organizational skills. Does his or her feedback indicate this is an ongoing problem for them? 

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Thanks for the replies. The seller has excellent feedback (99.8%) with no indication that this was a prior issue. Coupled with the prompt communication before the purchase, I felt comfortable that this would be a hassle free experience.

Since my initial post, the seller went ahead and refunded the full purchase amount, even though I had politely asked that they send me the item instead at the original selling price. Now I am not quite sure how to proceed. I have an eBay transaction that is in progress but the purchase price has been refunded. If I request a cancellation, would that reflect badly on me? Should I ask the seller to cancel the transaction from his end? If I leave appropriate feedback, does the seller have the opportunity to leave non-positive feedback for me, even though I didn't do anything wrong?

Thanks again. This is my first suspect transaction on eBay. Up to this point, it has been smooth sailing. All things considered, this isn't too bad at all. I just hope I'm not out on the foreign exchange differences.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

If I request a cancellation, would that reflect badly on me?

Technically a buyer cannot cancel. Any request for the seller to cancel is private communication.

So, no.

Should I ask the seller to cancel the transaction from his end?

No.

He cannot win an Unpaid Item Dispute since you paid.

If he cancels because you asked, he does not get a Defect. (Buyer Remorse is an out for the seller.)

In my opinion, when a member acts as inappropriately as this one ($85? Sheesh!)

If I leave appropriate feedback, does the seller have the opportunity to leave non-positive feedback for me, even though I didn't do anything wrong?

No.

Sellers cannot leave anything but positive feedback for buyers.

At worst he leaves no feedback.

This does not affect your ability to leave feedback and Detailed Seller Ratings.

About those Ratings. They don't mean as much anymore, but while five stars is a normal rating, ONE STAR is the lowest possible rating. No stars is a Free Pass.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply