Seller refuse to send, PayPal holding MY money

Once again, I hit a seller noob over here that doesn't want to send because PayPal didn't release the funds to him and won't until delivery. Can't they explain to them CLEARLY what this is all about?

And guess what, apparently he called PayPal and they told him that the reason why he didn't get his money is ... hold on to your seats ... I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY IN MY ACCOUNT! ... yeah right. What a great opportunity to explain to him why they hold the payment, but no, let's answer a bunch of **bleep** so we can get him off the phone asap ...

Can't we do ANYTHING about that !? My item was due for delivery last Friday!

On top of that, the seller answers once every 3 days if you're lucky ...

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

xeposter
Community Member

@divertigeek wrote:

Once again, I hit a seller noob over here that doesn't want to send because PayPal didn't release the funds to him and won't until delivery. Can't they explain to them CLEARLY what this is all about?

And guess what, apparently he called PayPal and they told him that the reason why he didn't get his money is ... hold on to your seats ... I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY IN MY ACCOUNT! ... yeah right. What a great opportunity to explain to him why they hold the payment, but no, let's answer a bunch of **bleep** so we can get him off the phone asap ...

Can't we do ANYTHING about that !? My item was due for delivery last Friday!

On top of that, the seller answers once every 3 days if you're lucky ...

If the item was not as described or is not the same as advertised, you can open up a case and automatically get refunded.

Here's how it works:

The eBay Money Back Guarantee covers your purchase price plus original shipping for virtually all items on eBay.com. We guarantee you'll get the item you ordered or your money back.

1 -

Open a request

Let the seller know you haven't received the item.

2 -

Not resolved? Let us know

If you're waiting for a response, you can check the status of your request. If you're not happy with the seller's resolution after 3 business days of opening your request, ask us to step in and help.

3 -

We'll get your money back fast

You'll get an answer within 2 days, and if your request qualifies, we'll send you a refund.

...or did you just not like the item and want to return it? It would be nice if you could supply a little more info about the problem 🙂

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

What's that all about? I think you have no idea what I'm talking about ... eBay holds the payment from the new sellers UNTIL they deliver the item .... then new seller gets confused as he thinks he's not getting the money and doesn't want to ship ... you end up screwed of having to wait until you can claim item not received and get refunded, when all you wanted was THE ITEM in the first place!

And here I thought everyone knew about this around here ... 

"...or did you just not like the item and want to return it? It would be nice if you could supply a little more info about the problem Smiley Happy"

WTH seriously? ... 

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

"And here I thought everyone knew about this around here ... "

Most Canadian readers here understood the situation very well.  Your post was very clear.

Unfortunately, these situations arise from time to time with new sellers and eBay does not do a good job instructing new sellers and training them.  At this point you have three options:

1) try to reason with the seller and explain that you have paid and he will see the money in his PayPal account within 21 days of your payment.  The rules are a bit different if the seller is American.

2) wait until you receive the item - a month late - and post appropriate feedback (and stars) to the seller's account.  He may learn from that experience.

3) file a claim with eBay for goods not received.  That will not bring you the item you want but you will get your money back.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Once your payment has cleared -- and if you back your PP account with your bank account rather than a credit card or a PP balance this could take up to 10 days-- then PP will notify the seller than he can ship, but they do Hold your payment as a Buyer Protection against the seller's performance.

Your newbie Seller seems to have completely misunderstood the PP clerk.

It's just barely possible that the PP clerk meant you do not have a PP balance. Most users don't, preferring a credit card (best in my opinion) or a bank account.

PP even allows the Seller to use the Held payment to buy a shipping label. And possibly save money on the cost of the label.

Sigh.

I'd just go to the Resolution Centre and open an Item Not Received Dispute.

If the seller cannot prove Delivery (not shipping, Delivery) eBay/ PP will refund your money.

Which is why it is being Held in the first place, of course.

This will be a defect/violation on the seller's account. It will have no effect on yours. Neither of you will be able to leave feedback.

If you can, remember that in Detailed Seller Ratings, the normal rating is five stars, but the lowest is ONE STAR. He really falls apart on Shipping Time and Communication.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

Hello 'divertigeek', 

<< seller . . . doesn't want to send because PayPal didn't release the funds to him and won't until delivery.>>

So many problems are caused because ebay loudly and colourfully encourages people to SellSellSell! (or BuyBuyBuy!)

and does not simultaneously encourage them to ReadReadRead  the policies about how to best conduct themselves.  

First of all, did you pay from a paypal balance?  Was the payment made by credit card?   Those payments will be instant.

The seller may not have his hands on the cash, but it is sitting there in full in the 'holding tank'. 

Or did your payment come from your bank account?  That is an e-cheque and those take about 10 days to clear,  so a 

seller cannot ship until it does.

If you did not use an e-cheque, and the seller is simply reluctant to ship until he actually has the money, you can send him 

this link explaining what he should have found out for himself by now:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/pay/payment_hold.html#new

and be sure to point out where ebay says the reason for the hold is " is to help encourage fast shipping and ensure

customer satisfaction".  

What you yourself choose to do about it at this point is up to you. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

As someone fairly new to selling I am proposing that any one setting up a seller account has to go through some mandatory online 101 course into the basics of being a seller, before you are given that account.  Ebay and Paypal assume that someone has taken the time voluntarily to do so. I think the increasing posts related to this holding funds issue is evidence they are not.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

mcrlmn
Community Member

Open an item not received claim.

Time to educate  the seller.

Ignorance is a poor excuse.

You bought the item in good faith.

I'm sure the seller charged for handling, so obviously time is important on that end...

I think you should be further compensated in the like for your inconvenience and time wasted.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply