Selling Only Allowed In Canadian Funds On eBay.ca Starting June 1

Well it finally happened.  Just got a new message from eBay stating that Selling Will Only Be Allowed In Canadian Funds On eBay.ca Starting June 1.  Probably will end up listing on eBay.com from now on.

Message 1 of 47
latest reply
46 REPLIES 46

The most ridiculous part of it all is the buyer sees the items in the currency they choose anyway(default on .ca is CAD), so the listing currency really doesn't matter. My guess is they want to streamline accounting practices to save themselves a few dollars, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was solely because they paid for an expensive study that came up with another ludicrous idea.

Between this and the "late shipping rate" things are as annoying as ever to sell on here. I've already received several late shipping defects - all from buyers that said "Fast shipping!" in feedback. Add in I sell less now with 5 times the listings than I did several years ago, and it stinks a bit.

Guess my Paypal is going to be in two currencies now as well, making tax reporting etc double the work.

Message 2 of 47
latest reply

When the item is listed in US$, it shows up in search at eBay.com. Now if it is listed in CAD, will it be still in the search at eBay.com? Will buyers at eBay.com see it converted in USD? and pay in USD or CAD? It is confusing and I don't think that save much of accounting time.

Message 3 of 47
latest reply

" Now if it is listed in CAD, will it be still in the search at eBay.com?"

YES exactly as they do right now.  The search result page always shows the currency of the country (not the currency of the listings)

Items listed on eBay.ca in Cdn$ currently show on search result pages on eBay.com in US$ and will continue to do so.

Message 4 of 47
latest reply

Well, not sure about all this...... I can either list in CAD, or I can list on ebay.com.

Just signed into ebay.com, went to "my eBay," went to "active", "sell similar", it immediately took me back to ebay.ca to sign in.

so that won't work. Then clicked on selling at the top of the page - that goes thru fine. But.....this means I will have to retake over 600 pictures for only one shot of each item, or up to 2400 to have 4 per item and redo all descriptions to list on ebay.com to keep in USD funds.. 99.9% of my customers are from USA. If a Canadian signs in on ebay.ca, it shows the CAD pricing, so whats the big deal............

Message 5 of 47
latest reply

@craftyhands4-9 wrote:

Well, not sure about all this...... I can either list in CAD, or I can list on ebay.com.

Just signed into ebay.com, went to "my eBay," went to "active", "sell similar", it immediately took me back to ebay.ca to sign in.

so that won't work. Then clicked on selling at the top of the page - that goes thru fine. But.....this means I will have to retake over 600 pictures for only one shot of each item, or up to 2400 to have 4 per item and redo all descriptions to list on ebay.com to keep in USD funds.. 99.9% of my customers are from USA. If a Canadian signs in on ebay.ca, it shows the CAD pricing, so whats the big deal............

If you use ebay Turbo Lister, you can migrate listings from eBay.ca to eBay.com. How I do not know exactly but it has been stated a few times in this forum that TL will do this for sellers. It will do some of the work like pictures and description, but shipping will need to be dome and some other things that are site dependent.

As for what you tried directly online, a listings can only be edited or Sell Similar on the site it was created.

Message 6 of 47
latest reply

Go to the URL after signing in and change '.ca ' to '.com'.  Should work.

Message 7 of 47
latest reply

If you use ebay Turbo Lister,

Turbo Lister doesn't work with Macs, only PCs.

Message 8 of 47
latest reply

That will work only if the listing was originally done on .com.

Message 9 of 47
latest reply

Two questions come to mind..........

What will this new policy look like to buyers from other countries - they will see the listing in their country currency - yes? 

Then they pay in Euros or Australian dollars, and how will the paypal conversion work?  won't I loose conversion twice.......

Message 10 of 47
latest reply

"What will this new policy look like to buyers from other countries - they will see the listing in their country currency - yes? "

No change.  Whether a Canadian lists in Cdn$ on eBay.ca or US$ the German buyer will still see the price in Euro (€). As evidenced by hundreds of posts, there is a lot of paranoia these days by many Canadian sellers (not you) who do not really understand how eBay works internationally.

"Then they pay in Euros or Australian dollars, and how will the paypal conversion work?  won't I loose conversion twice......."

Once again, no change. Buyers generally pay through PayPal in the currency of the listing which is converted for them into local currency and charged accordingly. 

1) If the Canadian seller listed in Cdn$ and maintains a Cdn$ balance at PayPal, no conversion fee will apply. (in this case only one conversion fee applies and it is paid by the buyer converting Cdn$ into local currency)

2) If the Canadian seller listed in US$ and maintains a US$ balance at PayPal, no conversion will be charged at that time but a conversion fee will be included when the Canadian seller withdraws money from the US$ balance to his/her Canadian bank in Cdn$. (in this case two currency conversions fees apply: one paid by the buyer to convert US$ into local currency and one paid by the seller to convert those US$ into Cdn$ at time of withdrawal).

Message 11 of 47
latest reply

buba26
Community Member

The problem is that a lot of Canadian sellers like myself buy item at auctions. You pay a 10% buyer premium 13% tax than when it sells eBay takes there 11%. That's 34% you have to get back to break even and when the exchange rate is high we have a chance to make some money. Going on eBay.com is an option but then you lose the Canadian shipping calculator. eBay is getting real greedy and whats with being charged on the shipping price that the buyer paid for. Maybe time to pack it in. What should be done is, if I say it they will likely kick me off

Message 12 of 47
latest reply

"eBay is getting real greedy"

???

The change to eBay.ca being a single currency (Cdn$) site like all other eBay sites does not affect eBay's revenue one way or the other.  I fail to see what greed has to do with it.

"whats with being charged on the shipping price"

That change was made several years ago to match what competitors like Amazon were doing.  At that time eBay lowered many FVFs and many sellers in fact ended up paying lower fees to eBay, more so if they were already offering "free shipping".  Personally I saved about $1,000 in fees that year due to that change of policy.

There are many ways to lower your eBay fees - such as opening an eBay store for example where your FVFs drop automatically by 1% to 4% depending on the category.

Offering an item at Cdn$ 1,300 should yield the same results as offering it at US$1,000. (and more money in your pocket - if that is important to you - as you would save about $40 in currency conversion fees at PayPal).  Every little bit helps!

Good Luck.

Message 13 of 47
latest reply

Hi, I make Jewelry and I am ready to list about 100 more items, and I am debating starting the listings in Canadian funds. Will make less work later. Plus I am paying US plus Exchange when listing now because I have used up my 500 free listings.

My problem is I buy my items in US, figure out my selling prices in US and list in US.

I was going to try to convert all my jewelry making inventory over to Canadian, but I am not sure the prices and the exchange rate they were at the time.

The way I am thinking, please correct me if I am wrong, I list in US now, so I would look at the Canadian price conversation for a similar listed item, look at what the shipping would be in Canadian dollars for Canada and US, and put those as my prices? 

Our dollar is pooched now, so would I be listing the items too high? 

How will the listing importer/converter convert the prices, will it be at the current dollar price then?

The more I think about all this and what to do, the more confused I get.

I also was thinking, since I have to redo all my listings, maybe I should go to free shipping to entice more Canadian buyers, and add a bit for my US customers as I send Light packet, but then I really get confused what to charge who and where.

I am getting frustrated. 😞

Message 14 of 47
latest reply

This is absolutely a wrong headed move on Ebay's part. There is no reason that makes sense to doing this at all. As if June 1 we are done on EBay.ca. I am sure we will have a ton of company in the form of a lot of other Canadian sellers. 

Plain and simply  put American buyers only want to use US dollars when making purchases and do not like to complicate their buying experiences.

We are a very fortunate Canadian seller that lives in an area where we can and do ship exclusively to the US from the US.

i would love to see the real reasoning behind Ebays move. Do something constructive for your sellers like working on cheaper shipping for Canadian Sellers who are unfortunate enough to have access to the US border and USPS.

Message 15 of 47
latest reply

Pierre, thank you for your knowledgeable and no nonsense answers to all things on these forums.   I always appreciate your input, in fact when I look to the community boards for any number of answers of selling and buying questions I might have , and I feel that my investigation into the subject is complete once I have read your input.

I enjoy selling on ebay, I think I do alrite, I would like to make more money, and maybe this new policy will help. 

Message 16 of 47
latest reply

"Plain and simply  put American buyers only want to use US dollars when making purchases"

That is absolutely wrong.

Do I know what I am talking about?  With over 100,000 transactions on eBay, yes I do.

Americans will pay Canadian dollars (or any other currency) to sellers who have a quality product for sale at an attractive price.  It does not really matter to them as PayPal takes care of converting their US$ to pay the seller.

There is a lot of paranoia on the subject by sellers afraid of the unknown.

You guys and gals should talk to Canadian sellers selling in Canadian dollars for years.

Message 17 of 47
latest reply

My experience is just the opposite. I list almost exclusively in US dollars. I heard from a few folks who sell in CDN dollars about how well they do. I tried it with some listings and got nothing.

Very uncertain about what to do right now. I was going to transfer to ebay.com but when I tried to set up a listing today, I found that they actually placed a limit on the shipping fee for the category I use most (records) which does not cover my costs as I build my ebay/PayPal fees into my shipping cost. Any suggestions?

As for currency conversion, I know, a different topic - but set up a US bank account (not a US funds account in a CDN bank, but a US account - see RBC), withdraw funds from PayPal in US funds and do the conversion yourself.

Message 18 of 47
latest reply

There has been a shipping cap on some media  categories on .com for quite a few years. The only way to get around the cap is to use calculated shipping which isn't helpful for Canadians as they can't use the shipping calculator on that site.  One of the posters who is in the same category asked the .ca reps if there was any chance that they could make an exception for .ca sellers on .com and lift the cap. The rep said he would look into it. It would be great if they would do that but I wouldn't count on it happening.

Message 19 of 47
latest reply

crafty hands

I looked at your items which are small and for the most part list for under $30USD.

You could ship most of these using LetterPost/Light Packet service. This is a flat rate service to anywhere in the world. (Obviously there would be three rates, Canada/USA/overseas, and weight variations but KISS)

Downside is that this is also an untracked rate and some of your jewelry (a high fraud category) is in the $100USD range.

In my opionion, you should list most of your less expensive items on dotCOM using Flat Rate shipping, which is all that is available to you. In fact, I would probably use Free Shipping as a hook. Again, Free Shipping just means that you include the (massaged) cost of shipping to your asking price. You can set different rates for Canada (free/$0.00) USA (free/$0.00) and overseas ($9.99??)

Your better items would be listed on dotCA, with Calculated Shipping. This allows you to use tracked services and to be precise about the cost of shipping. Your buyer would see the cost for shipping to her doorstep when her postal code loads, which looks official and is very reassuring.

The US customer Searching on dotCOM sees your prices in US dollars no matter what currency you list in. Sticking to USD does simplify things, but from time to time you will have a tiny leg up on the competition in terms of price.

More important though, is that your price, in whatever currency, covers your costs. If you are paying out $10USD and selling for $10CDN obviously you are losing money.

But if you are paying out $10USD whether you sell for $20USD or $25CDN(or $24CDN or $26CDN) you are making money.

I'd toss in my usual rant about Cookie Jar Insurance here, but I've probably bored you by now.

Message 20 of 47
latest reply