Selling fakes by not mentioning brands?

Is this a new thing?

Seller puts a small lot of so-called French silk scarves together. Main image shows a Chanel, another a Hermes.The Hermes is definitely a fake and I'm confident the Chanel is a knock-off as well. And this is a seller who has a few other higher-end scarves listed, but separately, so she knows her stuff. A Chanel and a Hermes in a job lot is pretty telling. So ... seller is getting away with selling fakes simply by not mentioning the name brands. It's still a fake ...

It caught my attention because of the Chanel image when I was simply looking for silk scarves. Hugely disappointed when I opened the listing.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Sellers cannot mention brand names, unless they licensed dealers.  By displaying the scarves in a way that the names show, she is not breaking any rules.  It now becomes a "buyer beware issue".  She is selling scarves to anyone who isn't concerned about buying fakes.

If the names are not mentioned anywhere in the listing, according to ebay, no rules have been broken.  Morally and ethically is another matter.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I think you should read policy before posting this type of information.

See below

We don't allow replicas, counterfeit items, or unauthorized copies to be listed on eBay. Unauthorized copies may include things that are bootlegged, illegally duplicated, or pirated. These kinds of things may infringe on someone's copyright or trademark.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

I believe you are misinformed, pinetreecottage. Fakes are not allowed on eBay and never have been. I do not believe that policy has changed.
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

It is against eBay policy  to sell a counterfeit product here and it is also against the law.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

arteis
Community Member

Whatever what policies said fake ARE ALLOWED on Ebay.

Just take a look for N64 video game and you'll see a good portion of Chinese made replica (genuine are made in Japan) without mention of it being a reproduction.

Some are even using info from the Ebay catalog that specified Made In Japan in 1998-2002 where in fact they are made recently in China.

Some seller even have the face to tag them as "New" even though they loose (out of the box) game. Maybe Ebay thinks that this "clue" (a loose game that is new is definitely not genuine and definitively not made in Japan) is enough to inform buyer.

I've reported dozen of them to Ebay without any impact, they just don't care.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

There is a difference between 'allowed' and 'not caught'.

It's not allowed to run a red light, but motorists tend to be careful before venturing into  an intersection, just in case.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the length of time that has passed since this thread began I have locked it from future replies. If this is still an issue that warrants discussion, don't hesitate to begin a new thread!

Tyler,
eBay
Message 8 of 8
latest reply