Shipped item to Hungary - Small Packet Surface -

stihlhead84
Community Member

Just looking for some advice

Shipped an item to hungary Dec 28th 2012

Was contacted 2 days ago by buyer saying that the item hasnt showed up yet.  And if its not here by

Friday Feb 8th 2013 im going to open a dispute with ebay resolution center.

Canada post says estimated delivery is 4 to 6 weeks.

If the item doesnt show up tomorrow what should? or what are my options?

I tried ensuring him that the item was shipped and is ofut of my hands.  but this doesnt matter to him.

Worried about getting a negative feedback for something out of my control.

please help

thank you

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

There is really nothing you can do. Surface mail can take up to three months.

We all do this once - but only once.

Think of it as a learning experience - you will never use surface mail again outside of the US and Canada.

Keep reasuring him. If he opens a dispute delay it as long as you can and perhaps it will arrive. The problem is of course that there is no tracking on Small Packet Surface.

Good luck!

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Surface? Always estimate 3 months to outside North America.

Refund and move on, they will not neg.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

toff3
Community Member

Stihl,

A few things you must remember when you sell on eBay:

1. You - and you alone - are responsible for the safe delivery of your sale into the hands of your buyer. This may appear, at first glance, not to be right but when you think about it, it's the only fair policy. (If the carrier screws up, only the shipper (seller) can initiate an investigation and seek compensation). Don't tell your buyer you've shipped the item so it's out of your hands. It won't wash. The item may be out of your hands but it's still your responsibility.

2. Don't, for a moment, believe Canada Post's claim that overseas surface mail can be expected to be delivered "in 4 up to 6 weeks". Canada Post has absolutely no idea how long it will take (because the mail is out of their hands once it leaves Canada) but of course they'll never admit it. Inuk's estimate of 3 months is wild exaggeration for the most part but much depends on the destination, e.g. surface mail to Australia takes much longer than to Europe. Inform your buyer of the true situation with respect to surface mail overseas.

3. Always, always be prepared, within reason, to refund your buyer in full, no questions asked. You have no choice but to accept his or her word that the item has not arrived. Assure your buyer that you will refund before the 45-day (or whatever it is) limit expires and avoid a formal "dispute" on eBay at all costs. Keep it between you and the buyer and keep your word. When you refund, tell your buyer you would appreciate repayment when the item arrives, which it will 99% of the time.

I'm sure the matter of your sale to Hungary will eventually resolve itself to everyone's satisfaction.

Tom

Message 4 of 4
latest reply