Shipping Oversized Odd Shaped Items?

I'm hoping there are some more automotive sellers out there.....

I want to start selling exhaust pipes. (I have the inventory) Most of these are 4-5 feet in length and far from being straight as they clear frames, suspension etc.

What are my best shipping options?

If it is just a metal pipe, does it have to be fully boxed for all shippers or do some carriers allow to have a packing envelope or similiar item securely fastened to it?

I have historically used CanPar for shipping big items but wanted to see if there was any advice out there.
Logo photo Logo.gif
Roblin's Garage - Classic Auto Salvage
Demorestville, ON / Scarborough, ON
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

treasure-pot
Community Member
CanPar would not be a great option for shipping outside of Canada - they do not deliver to the USA and would interline with either FedEx or UPS (it seems to change from time to time). Interlining can often cause delays and may add to the shipping costs.

Canada Post will charge oversize rates making it an expensive option.

You may be best to see if you can negotiate something with DHL, FedEx Ground or UPS. All will try to add severe customs clearance brokerage charges unless you negotiate with them.

I'm not aware that any of them have any kind of flat rate packaging that would accommodate anything so large. While you may be able to ship the pipe with out packaging I think you'd have a snowball's chance in h*ll of collecting on insurance if anything happened in transit. If there are any bends to the pipe there is a pretty good chance your shipments will also be cubed.

Bill
treasure-pot

Co-Author of

Bill

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Appreciate your response, Bill. It's about what I figured. I'm not real concerned about damage since anything short of driving over them wouldn't do much too them. They're heavy gauge 50s, 60s, 70s stuff.

Could you explain what you mean by "cubed"? I didn't catch that part.

Perhaps I might have to make these local pick-up only in-store inventory items. I realize that severely limits my market, BUT, I have an independent website that links to my Ebay Store for inventory purposes. I get a lot of local traffic through there
Logo photo Logo.gif
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Cubing is a calculation that most commercial carriers employ to ensure that every cubic foot of space in their trailers returns a certain minimum income.

Since most carriers rates are determined by weight, it stands to reason that they would make very little money if you shipped a large box of inflated balloons. By applying a formula that assures them of a minimum weight charge per cubic foot, carriers are able to realize that minimum.

A straight pipe would probably be okay but a pipe with several curves will occupy greater space. The carrier would likely require you to pay based upon the total area displaced in the trailer.

Bill
treasure-pot

Co-Author of

Bill

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Gotcha - thanks.
Logo photo Logo.gif
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

CANPAR S*CKS the big one many times over -- just checkout your local courthouse lawsuit filings against them,

They are a horrible rip-off company that will stiff you each and everytime they can, talk about excessive billing practices.

Recently they lost a case here in Hamilton which I call as a witness, and they had overcharged this local company over $3000 in one year for fuel charges only, not to mention their other miscellaneous BS charges for RURAL deliveries and what not --- STAY AWAY FROM CANPAR.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply