Shipping by UPS or FEDX

I know to avoid at all costs buying something from the States using a courier due to brokerage fees etc.  Does it work the same shipping to the States using a courier.  Are they subject to duties, taxes, brokerage fees etc.?

Thanks.  

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Shipping by UPS or FEDX

@kays_place wrote:

I know to avoid at all costs buying something from the States using a courier due to brokerage fees etc.  Does it work the same shipping to the States using a courier.  Are they subject to duties, taxes, brokerage fees etc.?

Thanks.  

There is no federal sales tax in the USA like the GST here in Canada. The import limit for USA buyers is $800 USD so duty not a factor. 

From what hat has been posted here on using couriers to the USA, no additional charges added.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Shipping by UPS or FEDX

If you use an Express service from FedEx or UPS the brokerage fee (if any) is included.

If you use a Ground service from FedEx or UPS the brokerage charges don't kick in unless the value is over $800 (was $200 up until March 2016).

If the value is over $800, there are no "taxes", rarely any duty on goods from Canada so that just leaves a brokerage fee which if you are smart you would include in your shipping charge and have the carrier bill YOU for the fees. (to do this choose "Free Domicile" as the shipping/billing method. Free Domicile means all border related charges are billed to the shipper instead of the recipient.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Shipping by UPS or FEDX

I thought shipping to the UNITED STATES with Fed Ex from Canada there will be broker fees once the item entered the UNITED STATES. I have heard stories of unhappy customers having to pay as much as $60. - 65.00 once they received their item.
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Shipping by UPS or FEDX

@winner188 wrote:
I thought shipping to the UNITED STATES with Fed Ex from Canada there will be broker fees once the item entered the UNITED STATES. I have heard stories of unhappy customers having to pay as much as $60. - 65.00 once they received their item.

Read my previous post. If the value is below the free limit there are no charges, if it's over the free limit there may be charges.

It's the same going in the opposite direction, the difference is the free limit in Canada is CA$20 and the free limit in the US is US$800.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Shipping by UPS or FEDX

Thanks for clearing that up.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply