Shipping to Italy in 3 days

Mostly we come here bash CanadaPost, so I want to give them a little credit this time.

Look at my latest FB that says: Really the fastest shipping ever!!!!

This was paid and shipped on July 30th (Wednesday). Now is Saturday, so the buyer must have received it possibly on Friday unless Italian Posts delivers on Saturdays. Still good though.

Thumbs up CanadaPost.
Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

sunnyvoip
Community Member
I shipped a parcel to USA with small packet surface in JUNE 30 and the buyer received in Aug.1 . The buyer is in New York state which is only 5 hrs drive from my city. I can't believe how slow Canadapost can be ...
latest reply

WOW, USPS isn't any better, priority mail guaranteed to take 2 days, was over 8 days and that is delivering from US city to US city. So they have their problems too!!
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Canada Post has no control over how long US Customs hangs onto a package. Typically my packages are over the border within 48 hours, but may sit there for as long as 6 weeks before US Customs gets around to inspecting it for biological weapons. My last oversized package was 4 weeks in US Customs because it was roughly the size of a shoulder fired missle launcher. They must have been disappointed when they got around to opening it 😉

At the same time, I've seen an expidited parcel get to Chicago in 7 days, which is pretty rare. Now that I think of it, the high value packages seem to experience a shorter delay....

All my light packets take roughly 3-7 days to reach US destinations, which is within the advertised performance range.

In fact, I'm probably the only person who has no issues with Canada Post service and neither do the buyers as feedback almost always says "fast shipping". (your mileage may vary).
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

I, also have no problem with CANADA POST, they always get the product to where it is going.

When I have a question and concern, they answer quickly.

I just wish they had a light packet for CANADA, though

I found out that if I get to POST OFFICE not an OUTLET store, before it opens, there is a Canada Post truck outside picking up the mail to take it to the sorting centre. My shipping time has skyrocketed because of that fact.

Also at that particular POST OFFICE, they collect the mail 3 times a day, instead of the 1 time at outlet stores.
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

ecbluestar
Community Member
I don't want to spoil the party, but once I had positive feedback from buyer in three days to NY, what I fund out few days later was PayPal credit card charge-back.
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

well that would su*k!!
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

faerywishes
Community Member
I don't want to jinx anything but I have been having very quick shipping to the Netherlands and Norway lately, mostly with Light Packet. But I did have 1 Lettermail in 5 days to Norway. I even emailed the buyer and asked if they were sure it was my package...lol.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

France is always quick, too!!
But it is nice to finally see Italy has gotten its act together.
Their customs and delivery system has been bad for a very long time.
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

Italy is on most high value seller's "never ship there" list.
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

3jcc14
Community Member
I have had good experiences with Small Packet Air to Germany, United Kingdom, Denmark and Russia as well. Knock on wood of course now that I've said it!
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

The best I've done was Kitchener to the Canary Islands in 7 days, which is pretty impressive once you know how circuitous the routing is....
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

dagr8_renaud
Community Member
The best I ve done , while we are at it Canada to Germany , shipped Friday ( afternoon ) Buyer received Monday . that was letter mail !!
Also Express post shipped right before 5 pm friday Canada to UK he got his item on Monday ...

even I did not believe it!

I am still pissed we dont have other option then EMS for most international 'package' with tracking number / delivery confirmation . I lose many international sells , ppl see shipping charge they will bid 100$ more on a US seller because he can charge half price to the same destination ... not only I would sel more items but I would sell them higher price ( my items are 90% auctions)
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Hi. I think Canada Post is pretty fast at shipping packages and envelopes and I have no issues with them there. Most of my US packages are at the US border within 24 hours. How long it takes to reach my US customers after that depends on US customs and while Canadian customs are a bit faster passing packages through, they too can also extend the shipping time by a week or two.

What I think we all want to see from Canada Post is shipping rates that are more competitive with the USPS and cheaper shipping options within Canada such as small packets. As for tracking, Canada Post does a better job than the USPS on international shipments. The USPS only provides tracking on the their most expensive services whereas it's avaialable to us on Expedited Parcel. Same goes for insurance. We have insurance included in small packets and there is nothing comparable to that from the USPS. They only have us beat on tracking and insurance for domestic mail because they can add the insurance and delivery confirmation onto anything (including lettermail) for a small fee extra.

As for shipping outside North America, that depends on the country. I think we all experience terrific shipping times to the UK, France, Germany, Switzerland and the Scandinavian countries. Italy is problematic for a lot of people. I've been fortunate to only experience one problem where an envelope took 5-6 weeks to arrive. Australia is a hit or miss. Usually it takes 2-3 weeks, but it can take 4-5 weeks on occassion. Once I sent something ground to Iran and was amazed that it took less than a week to arrive. Canada Post will fill up the plane with ground packages if there is room to do so. Most overseas ground shipments otherwise take from 3-6 weeks in my experience.
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

What I think we all want to see from Canada Post is shipping rates that are more competitive

In my opinion, if CanadaPost becomes more effective, there would be no need to maintain such army of workers as they have right now. While an increase in effectiveness would be a great for us customers, you might have hard time to explaining that to the CP worker union.

It is excellent that unionized workers are protected, but we already have quite good protection by labour laws already, so unions should be dismantled as unnecessary and harmful to the economy.

Not really related to the thread, just an opinion towards the rates. I would really like to see rates from CanadaPost become more competitive with USPS, but I am sceptical on this. So we have to use what we have, it's not that bad, there are much worse national post services in other countries.
Message 15 of 18
latest reply

Oh, that army has been reduced significantly over the years because Canada Post is run as a business now and not a government employment vehicle. All the crown corporations are now required to stand on their own 2 feet and not come begging for handouts.

Shipping rates are influenced mostly by volume and scaling efficiencies. You can't expect Canada Post which has 1/10th the number of customers, to be price competitive with USPS which has 10 times as many customers and somewhere between 12-15 times the volume. 😮

Canada Post used to have small packet service and for a flat rate scale similar to the oversized lettermail schedule and they artificially tried to keep their pricing closer to the USPS rates.... those days are long gone, along with the annual loses and government handouts. 😛
Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Those unionized workers, the ones that still have jobs, don't have the protection you imagine they do because those employment gaurantees were written out of the union contracts for every major industry in Canada over the past 15 years.

Most unionized workers in North America kneel down and pray every night, that they will have their job long enough to get their pension. As such, employees count the days to their early retirement qualification and get out as soon as they can.

It's become such a serious problem, that contracts being written now stipulate you can't retire early if the company designates your job as "mandatory position, unable to replace". The upside is that they are usually required to pay you a bonus, per annum that your are required to stay.

For CP Rail it's $50,000 per year, thats above and beyond your normal wages, overtime, benefits etc. and they routinely invoke that part of the collective agreeement until they find and train someone to replace you. If you happen to be really good at your job, they don't put a rush on replacing you so you may stay 3-5 years and bank a free $150k-$250k. Because the people that would get the $50k are in the lower end of the top tax bracket, they don't get stuck paying a higher rate.
Message 17 of 18
latest reply

faerywishes
Community Member
Australia is a hit or miss
Sometimes Australia can be a pain. I shipped a package in Jan Small Package Air, it took 13 weeks. I was very fortunate to have a buyer that was patient. I shipped another to Australia in Feb or Mar about the same size, weight & worth about the same, it was shipped small package ground they had it in 5 days. I had forgotten about that one until you mentioned Australia. Everywhere else I haven't had many problems. Unless it goes to US Letter Mail, for some reason some buyers said they didn't. I switched to light packet and one hasn't been lost since. Coincidence!
Message 18 of 18
latest reply