Shipping with Canada post, is it worth getting registered package?

spanese13
Community Member

Shipping in canada cost $3.10, but registering the mail cost over $12 in total, which allows me to track package and get confirmation. But the e-bay calculation for shipping is only $8?

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Ebay shipping doesn't have an option for registered mail. You are using the calculation for the standard parcel service and the price of that depends on where a buyer is located in Canada. The price you are seeing is to and from your own postal code.

I would send your item by regular lettermail. There is some debate on whether or not registered mail will be accepted by Paypal if the buyer makes an item not received claim and few buyers are going to want to pay $12+ amount for shipping a Playstation game.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I see, thank you.
I hear a lot of horror stories on e-bay, how beginner friendly is it? With all the scams and stuff.
Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Horror stories? You never hear the good stories, do you? I can tell you thousands of happy stories for every imaginary horror story.

Most horror stories are because the seller did something wrong. Seller protection starts with yourself.

I have "lost" one (1) widget in Canada in twelve (12) years.
Photobucket
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I find that ebay is less beginner friendly now than it used to be, not because of scams but because they have added so many rules over the years and it can be very confusing.

I do think that the area you sell in may have more problem customers than other categories but there are Canadian sellers who sell in that category or similar ones who do not use tracking so it is doable. Rather than using tracking, many sellers will 'self insure'. That means that they add on a bit extra to their shipping or item price and put that amount in a virtual cookie jar. When an item is lost, that extra virtual money is used to make up that loss.

There is also third party insurance that you can purchase for more expensive items. Unfortunately, you can't do that when you are using lettermail but you can use it for light or small packet to the U.S. or internationally. I would suggest that you sell to the U.S. as well as they have a much larger market than in Canada. Plus, many Canadians will shop on .com and since you don't have a shipping price to the U.S., your listings won't be shown to them on .com.

Light Packet USA has the same maximum dimensions as lettermail so if you can use lettermail within Canada, you can use light packet to the U.S. Small packet USA allows larger packages. Neither service has tracking or insurance.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

tch_ca
Community Member

Hi,

With respect to shipping in Canada, Small Business Expedited is your best bet if you're shipping within your province or one over. If shipping cross country, registered will be cheaper as long as you fit the dimensions.

There is no more registered mail into the USA from Canada. You can ship registered internationally if you fit dimensions however the rule is PAPER only (Which is perplexing to me). Otherwise if you need international tracking you're stuck with tracked packet to a handful of countries at a ludicrous $40+ CDN.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply