Small Packets Can Be Insured?

cangirl1024
Community Member
Hi there,
I have been reading some of the posts here and from what i have been reading shows that some of you are saying the small packets sent airmail to the USA from Canada can be insured? My PO outlet said it cant be insured unless its sent expeditied.

So is it an extra fee to insure small packets or is it automaticly included?
Also some of you are saying that you get a small packets stamped receipt? What is that? I just get my cash register receipt showing what i paid and no stamped nothings.

Now im curious if lettermail means it has to be able to fit easily thru the little sloit guide they have at my PO outlet. I receiev packages from the US that come lettermail and they are thicker then the guide slot is it differnt for US to send lettermail? Maybe they dont have to fit theirs thru a guide.
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Small Packets comes with $100 insurance included, you CANNOT add additional insurance.

Small Packets require the WHITE customs form, it's a two part form, you get a stamped copy as a receipt.

USA "lettermail" does not have the same size/weight restrictions that Canadian Lettermail has. Basically anything up to 4lbs can be sent lettermail (there are some maximum size restrictions but they are rarely relevant unless you are shipping feathers. Canadian lettermail can be no thicker than 20mm/2cm.

Ben
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

ontario_diecast
Community Member
My understanding is that if you need to collect insurance on an airmil small packet, you must have both the cash register slip and you copy of the customs form.If you don't have both...you can't collect insurance if needed.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

On a related note, when a buyer files a Paypal complaint stating that they never received the item and Paypal asks you to send proof, is the white small packet form suitable for this?
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

ontario_diecast
Community Member
We sellanythingCanada
...It is not acceptable. Paypal wants a tracking number. the white customs forms do not provide that..You need to use US expidited or better to get a tracking number
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

My understanding is that if you need to collect insurance on an airmil small packet, you must have both the cash register slip and you copy of the customs form.If you don't have both...you can't collect insurance if needed.

eBay board myth - NOT true

Ben

- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

The problems with the $100 insurance on Small Packets is that depending on the value of the claim Canada Post may require proof of cost of the item. Canada Post will only pay based on cost and not selling price. I had one claim once for about $15 and they paid it no problem but I have heard of problems other sellers have had in collecting.

If you require more than $100 of insurance on small packets, or if you require insurance on lettermail, you may want to consider one of the following 3rd party insurance carriers who provide insurance on ALL packages, and they pay based on the ending auction value and not on the cost of the itwww.dsiinsurance.com and www.u-pic.com.

Michael
Message 7 of 7
latest reply