Some complain about Canada Post but some Seller, sheesh!!!

73rhc
Community Member
So I win two items. $16.01 US each. Listing says standard international shipping $4.00 Us, each. All orders over $25, shipping $15 US. Seller is in Canada and listing says that he charges QST and GST. I get an invoice for $32.02 + $15.00 + $7.05 for a grand total of $54.07, all in USD.

What bothers me here is paying taxes on USDs. And paying taxes on the combined item and shipping. This is two magazines, it will probably cost $4.00 materials included. And the guy lives 5 minutes from me. And yes I asked for pickup. But got the reply, cash item cost + tax!

So complain about Cpc...
Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

73rhc
Community Member
Forgot to mention. The two items were two seperate auctions. So instead of paying a total of $8 shipping. I'm getting dinged with a daily double!
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Pay each one separately

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Not sure if I can still waiting for an updated invoice.
Message 4 of 28
latest reply

@73rhc wrote:
So I win two items. $16.01 US each. Listing says standard international shipping $4.00 Us, each. All orders over $25, shipping $15 US. Seller is in Canada and listing says that he charges QST and GST. I get an invoice for $32.02 + $15.00 + $7.05 for a grand total of $54.07, all in USD.

What bothers me here is paying taxes on USDs. And paying taxes on the combined item and shipping. This is two magazines, it will probably cost $4.00 materials included. And the guy lives 5 minutes from me. And yes I asked for pickup. But got the reply, cash item cost + tax!

So complain about Cpc...

That math makes no sense.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 28
latest reply

If an item priced in US $ is sold to a Canadian by a GST/HST registered Canadian Seller then GST or HST must be collected by the seller. If HST?GST is collected in a currency other than Canadian at  GST/HST tax time the amount is converted into $C and the HST/GST is remitted to the idiots in Ottawa. When the CRA comes to audit they do check to see if $US  sales are properly converted and tax due remitted.

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

I understand all of that. I guess it just **bleep** me off to be taken for shipping in USD and charged tax on top top of it.

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

And a UK seller would charge you in sterling and a German dealer would charge you in euros.

It doesn't matter what the name of the currency is, we are just a little more sensitive comparing our dollar's value to theirs.

If you are buying on eBaydotCA, both currencies will show on the listing, CDN and USD. And when you pay with your Canadian credit card, the USD amount will be converted. (There will be a fee paid to Paypal for that service).

Message 8 of 28
latest reply

And the guy lives 5 minutes from me. And yes I asked for pickup. But got the reply, cash item cost + tax!

Which means he is registered to remit sales tax and must charge it to all his Canadian buyers.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

I don't think you're getting the point. I'm annoyed at buying in USD, but I get it that it makes no difference. Where it does bother me is the shipping. Please read the posts. One item at $16 is $4 shipping but 2 items at $16 is $15 shipping. All in USD and tax on shipping in USD. It's funny that when he asked for cash. I answered that I would prefer to pay via Paypal to protect everyone. And have not heard from him since. Other than the exorbitant invoice.
Message 10 of 28
latest reply

"Pay each one separately"

Can't do it. He has already sent an invoice. Therefore, both items are together.
Message 11 of 28
latest reply

"That math makes no sense."

eBay sent this message to (73rhc).
Your registered name is included to show this message originated from eBay. Learn more.
Invoice
Dear 73rhc,

Thank you for shopping on eBay! Your total amount due is $54.07. More details about your purchase are included below.

Item # Item Title Quantity Price Amount
201152480823 EN2593.Baseball program Springfield at Montreal 1950
1 $16.01 $16.01
201152481199 EN2594.Baseball program Ottawa at Montreal 1952
1 $16.01 $16.01
Subtotal: $32.02
Shipping and handling via Standard Int'l Shipping: $15.00
15% QC Sales tax (applies to subtotal + S&H): $7.05
Total: $54.07

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

If both items would have sold for over $25 each. I would have received an invoice for $30 shipping plus tax!!!
Message 13 of 28
latest reply

He can't charge more than what the actual shipping field states and since each listing states $4 shipping, the most that he should be charging you is $8. If you are both in the same city, he could use expedited shipping and it wouldn't cost much more than $8.

You have a couple of options.He should be able to break up the invoice on his end so insist that you want him to send each one separately and he should charge you $4 each.

Or

Pay cash and pick up the cards. Picking the cards up and paying with Paypal will not 'protect everyone' as you stated. If you file an item not received claim the seller does not have a tracking number to show you that received the item. Also, I think that I've read in Paypal that they do not have buyer or seller protection for items picked up. Regardless, when you go to pick the cards up, you will have them in your hand and can examine them before you pay...what sort of protection would you need once you have already examined them??

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

@73rhc wrote:
If both items would have sold for over $25 each. I would have received an invoice for $30 shipping plus tax!!!

I don't read it like that. It looks as if he is shipping an order between $25 and $100, the shipping cost is $15. For each $100, he would add on another $3. He doesn't say that he will charge $15 for each item over $25 but for each order over $25.

I'm not justifying what he is charging, just explaining how I think it works.

Message 15 of 28
latest reply

You might want to read things over. Firstly, they are not cards. They are game programs. Secondly, he already did charge me more than the the $8. Thirdly the protection, albeit small, is mine. It my proof of payment! What proof of payment do I have if I show up with cash and fail to get a receipt. Paypal payment is so much easier. And FYI, if I would have paid more than $25 ea. or more you can bet I would have received two invoices with $15 shipping for each!
Message 16 of 28
latest reply

You might want to read things over. Firstly, they are not cards.

I just glanced at the listings, saw the word baseball and somehow made the leap from there to cards. My mistake.

Secondly, he already did charge me more than the the $8.

I never said that he didn't.  When I said that he can't charge you more, I meant that he is not supposed to charge you more than what is listed under the shipping details.

Thirdly the protection, albeit small, is mine. It my proof of payment! What proof of payment do I have if I show up with cash and fail to get a receipt

If you want proof of payment, then get a receipt when you pick up the item.There is no benefit to the seller for not giving you a receipt of for claiming that you haven't paid when you already have the item. Regardless, my point was that there is a good reason why many sellers will not accept paypal for a pickup.

And FYI, if I would have paid more than $25 ea. or more you can bet I would have received two invoices with $15 shipping for each!

Perhaps. That's just not how I interpreted his terms.

I don't understand why your reply to me is so argumentative. I was simply trying to help and was not being critical of you or your posts.

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

I'm not trying to be argumentative. But I am living the reality if this. My frustration stems from some of your comments. So for that, I'm sorry. But when I read. He can't do that. And he already has. Well, I get frustrated. He shouldn't be able to do that, but he was able. Other than paying PaypL fees, I don't see any reason for a seller refusing Paypal. If he was against the Paypal thing, he should have communicated this. But he didn't. He ignored the email. And I did, regardless. Knowing that if he didn't want the Paypal payment than I would pay the advertised shipping cost. Which by the way, if it were my items, I would have sent an invoice of $4 in total to the buyer!!!
Message 18 of 28
latest reply

"And I did, regardless"

I bid, regardless
Message 19 of 28
latest reply

I don't see any reason for a seller refusing Paypal.

As mentioned earlier,if you pay with Paypal, pickup the item and then file an item not received claim, the seller would lose as they could not show with delivery confirmation that you received the item. If you pay with cash when you pickup the item, you can not file an item not received claim so the threat of an inr claim would be gone.

That's how a seller could view it...whether or not that's how things would work in reality is another thing.

If he was against the Paypal thing, he should have communicated this. But he didn't. He ignored the email.

You said earlier that when you asked for pickup he replied with 'cash item cost + tax!" so it sounds as if he has already stated in a round about way that he will not accept Paypal for a pickup but if you questioned him about that afterwards...yes, he should have replied. It is very frustrating when a seller ignores questions from a buyer.

Message 20 of 28
latest reply