Speaking of Canada Post.....

Changes at the top for Canada Post, I'm sure the Brits will treat her with the respect she deserves but rarely received from Canada Post customers.

montrealgazette.com/business/Canada+Post+chief+head+Queen+mail/3079398/story.html

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

It's a tough job, with way too many bosses.

Canada Post is not allowed to lose money, and in fact contributes to the General Account many millions of dollars every year.

They have managed labour peace most years since becoming a Crown Corporation. (There was a small dispute last year, which made insurance claims difficult).

And somehow they made a gesture to small business by introducing the 25% discount on PP purchased Expedited service.

On the other hand, they have not only dropped Book Mail, but also Library Service.

And I'm watching how the removal of Food Mail for Northern and Isolated communities will affect food prices for those communities.
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Food Mail?
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Food Mail?

Here is information about Canada Post Food Mail:

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/aboutus/community/foodmailprogram.jsf

And, here is a recent article regarding same:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/north/story/2010/05/17/north-food-mail-program.html

Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Thanks Susan, I had no idea that a program like that even existed.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Yes, we all take it for granted when we go to our grocery store as most of us live in areas where everything is trucked in.

However, here in Canada as we all know....there are many isolated areas during the summer when trucks can not drive across the ice!

Have a good one!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 6 of 7
latest reply

A friend in my French seminar was showing us photos of grocery prices from her recent trip to Iqaluit.

$12 for a lettuce?

Food Mail allows fresh milk to be available at close to Ottawa /Winnipeg prices. (A lot of FM flies out of those cities) FM does "subsidize" the cost of staples. But not luxuries.

Another friend in the seminar* was talking about visiting Iqaluit recently and being given dinner by a colleague, who is Hindu and vegetarian.

His wife ships him homecooked sauces and other specialty spices by FM, so he doesn't starve. She lives in Montreal. Wages up North are very good, but its not a great place to live if you are a Southerner.

Don't let the Inuit girl in the group know that I said that.

* I work at Indian and Northern Affairs.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply