Still no Tracked Packet – USA on Paypal?

I was just preparing a couple of packages to the US and noticed that the "Tracked Packet – USA" option is still not available on Paypal. Wasn't it supposed to be available around the 14th or does anyone have any other news about this? Thanks for your feedback!

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Someone asked on the Feb. 13 Weekly Board Hour when it would be available on PayPal.  This was the answer.

In good eBay fashion, I will have to go with "soon."

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

Sounds plausible, thanks.

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

a*capital*idea
Community Member

I've been trying to sort this out on the phone, first with Paypal, now transfered to Ebay.  No one knows what Tracked Packet is when I call.  omg.

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

jimmyd711
Community Member

I'm very disturbed by the fact eBay is forcing sellers to advertise this new shipping method and then turn around and force us to use more expensive shipping (at our cost of course) while they pretend it will soon be available.  Hopelessly false advertising continues - great way to build a brand.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

You are NOT being forced to do anything. You do not have to use this service. You do not have to advertise it. It is an over-priced, non-competitive, shipping method that some sellers are attempting to force on customers.

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

It is an over-priced, non competitive, shipping method that some sellers are attempting to force on customers.

I have really noticed that in my category since the beginning of February.

I still think this could be an advantage for Canadian Sellers providing we have the right product with competitive pricing.

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

nan*55
Community Member

I don't see myself using the expensive tracked package very often.If an item is unexpensive I will use small packed air and take the chance on it with no insurance.If more expensive will use expedited.

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

If it were available I would use it. Granted for items under $15 I will use the old standard small packet insurance, otherwise though it makes good sense to get the tracking, peace of mind for both seller and buyer goes a long way.

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

If it were available I would use it. Granted for items under $15 I will use the old standard small packet insurance, otherwise though it makes good sense to get the tracking, peace of mind for both seller and buyer goes a long way.

There is no insurance on Small Packet since Jan 14. You have to use self insurance (no insurance and accept a loss), third party insurance or use Tracked Packet or Expedited Parcel for insurance if you want insurance.

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Since I never use Canada Post for outside Canada I never looked closely at this Tracked Packet.

On a lark I had a look.....

What is the point? It's overpriced and just about useless. Once you go over 500 grams it's almost the same price as Expedited (perhaps more if the eBay discounts don't apply?) and under 500 grams you are basically paying $6+ for this "tracking".

For other International I suppose the price is ok for countries where Xpresspost is the only other option but even at that the premium for "tracking" over regular Small Packet is a bit outrageous.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Tracked Packet USA is overpriced. Unless the PayPal discount is high for TP, then Expedited Parcel with PayPal 25% discount is cheaper for 500 and 1 kg.

If not discounted correctly, the TP 500 gram and 1 kg may be orphan rates where the Expedited Parcel beats TP.

To make sure that does not happen, then TP and EP USA rates must have the same discount so that the relative difference in prices remains the same just like the rate structure of the regular rates at the post office.

Now eBay/PayPal/Canada Post might match the EP 25% discount to keep the relative pricing the same. This is the best scenario for sellers. However, I get the feeling that EP will lose it discount of 25% and be lowered to match the new TP discount. Maybe as low as15% off EP and TP. Speculation here, I have no idea how it will be priced.

I can also see the 500 gram EP USA rate disappearing since TP covers 250, 500, 1 kg and is basically the same as EP for insurance and tracking. Maybe not now but in the future as it is redundant. Maybe even EP 1 kg since it is covered by TP USA. But that would happen next year most likely in another restructuring of rates and services of Canada Post.

The one big difference between TP and EP USA is that TP does not use Dimensional weight. EP USA uses dimensional weight so it is hard to ship under the 5 kg diemnsional weight break point because it is a small box.

But one has to consider that eBay/PayPal/Canada Post really do not understand their users well. Will they notice that they are creating an issue with the three services, SP, TP and EP USA at the 1 kg range with similar prices when discounted. I doubt it. The Small Packet USA Air 1 kg rate was more expensive that EP USA 1 kg rate with PayPal discount before the changes. Often a seller found that the EP cost was lower than the $15.67 SP rate last year.

Remember the useless eBay/PayPal/Canada Post Flat Rate box fiasco. Simply too expensive to ship using that service unless it was going to the farthest destination at the max weigh of 5 kg. And the box size was not very useful. It could have been a success if the boxes were lower priced and the service cheaper than using EP with a discount.

When TP finally gets on PayPal, it will be very interesting what the discount is.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Assuming of course that this is some sort of CP-eBay-Paypal-USPS scam to bleed us dry.

What if yer wrong?

What if this is simply a new service to bleed money from the average retail customer? CP, as does USPS, makes money on the up-sell. This gives them a product to sell, that, they know darn well that the average consumer has no concept of what tracking is or how to access it. So, instead of sending the parcel for $7.80, they send it for $16.10.

$8.30 for a barcode? That might be scanned? Who ever thought of this deserves the corner office.

TP may never be on Paypal shipping.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

soccergaga
Community Member

Available on Paypal now but what a shaft this has become. This is a very poor service change by Canada Post.

I tried a sample package this morning 33x23x7 cms and 499 grams from Ottawa to North Dakota.

Paypal discounted tracked packet price $16.78 from the "claimed"  counter price of $18.53

REAL Counter tracket packet price $16.94

REAL Counter tracket packet Venture One price $16.13

Savings - 16 cents on counter price (not even 1%)  and it costs 62 cents more than venture one counter price or !!!!!

Paypal expeditied price $17.29

REAL Counter expeditied price   $21.09
REAL Counter expeditied Venture One price $19.79

Savings - 18% on Counter prices and 12.6% on Venture One price

These price changes along with the elimination of the US small parcel ground is a HUGE increase in costs to small businesses. So much for being competitive. I am really thinking of setting up operations in Florida.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

PayPal shipping calculator has been incorrectly programmed and is charging the full 1 kg rate instead of the 500 kg rate.

This has been reported to eBay and currently it is is being looked at. Hopefully, it will be working properly soon.

See the weekly eBay session for this problem and discussion with eBay staff.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

attempting over the last 18 hours to ship via tracked packet-USA, entered info. but receiving message... 

"You have entered invalid dimensions. Please check your entry and try again."

my dimensions fall within the Canada Post guidelines but not allowing me to purchase /print 

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Tracked Packet shipping on PayPal has problems and one is with dimensions allowed. It seems to work with smaller dimensions but not up to allowable dimensions. The problem is being looked into by eBay/PayPal and will be fixed soon hopefully.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

You have entered invalid dimensions. Please check your entry and try again

you have to put the exact dimensions of the xpress post which is 

L- 21 cm ,

W -14cm ,

H- .01cm 

dont put your dimensions of your parcel, but the parcel dimension it says which is pretty stupid..but it works

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Try going to paypal shipping but not via eBay.

You'll have to fill the address in yourself.

I had a problem yesterday but eventually was able to print the label that way after a few attempts.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply