This recipient does not accept payments from non-U.S. PayPal accounts.

Re the above:

How does eBay view such? Seller accepts PP but somewhere in the fine print was a disclaimer, admittedly overlooked.

Can they do this without running afoul of eBay policies?

Xena
Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

They can at the moment (unless they are in Australia).

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 15
latest reply

What's different about Australia?
Message 3 of 15
latest reply

Crazy rules and policies there......

example:

If you indicate you accept personal cheques you must accept them from anybody including international.

All to be moot soon when the PayPal ONLY policy comes into effect in June.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 4 of 15
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
recped,

Is eBay doing away with accepting money orders?

Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

We are talking about $12 worth of artist's brushes, not gold bars.

Wonder what the rationale is?

I'll just ask one of my US clients to pay him and enter my shipping address. That should do the trick, methinks]:)

Xena
Message 6 of 15
latest reply

Is eBay doing away with accepting money orders?

Nobody knows for sure what the plan is. The big cheese (JD) was quoted as saying that the new payment policy in Australia would be expanded down the road.

The current proposal for Australia (effective mid-June) is that PayPal will be the ONLY payment method that sellers will be able to offer with the sole exception of pick-up orders. Note that in Australia the most common payment method has always been direct bank transfer (think certapay). Naturally sellers are freaking out and it's not just Australian sellers. When the policy comes into effect NO listings from other eBay sites will be allowed to appear on eBay.au unless they are PayPal ONLY. This means that no .ca or .com will be seen by Australian buyers unless they search directly on the foreign sites.

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

Wonder what the rationale is?

Don't you know? All foreigners are thieves, if they pay with PayPal they ALWAYS file bogus INR claims.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

The competition board in Australia is currently reviewing eBaY's new policy and they should rule shortly on the legality of it.

eBaY's reasoning for the change in policy is that it will enable them to better control fraud -> ya right, more like better increase their paypal revenues and also better able them to hold funds at their discretion.

If the competition bureau does not rule against eBaY and Paypal then I am sure they will try the samething hear in North America but I doubt seriously that it will fly here but then again who knows.
Message 9 of 15
latest reply

#8 is an accurate summary of the current status of this situation.

The only area of which I have any familiarity with the Australian Competition Bureau dates back to the late 80's and was related to parallel (grey market) imports of records and cd's. In that case Australia became one of the few territories where parallel imports of this type were expressly allowed much to the consternation of the multinational record companies.

On the surface I'd be shocked if their plan is allowed but stranger things have happened and I'm really not up on the current political climate in Oz. I really can't see it as being an easy task to get a policy like this approved in the USA.

I wonder if the Expanded Seller Protection thing is part of the run up to this?

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Hilarious!

Had one of my US clients pay this seller and received an email saying "thanks for your payment", etc to my email address.

Soooo... if his reason for not taking PP payments from Canadians was protection from INR chargebacks, he has achieved absolutely nothing.

I am almost tempted.... of course I wouldn't. After all, it was me who could not read:-D

Xena
Message 11 of 15
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
Last I checked- the term "LEGAL TENDER" still had some meaning.
So, how can eBay legally prohibit CASH payments for items?
ANY DEMANDS that eBay users MUST choose PAYPAL- OWNED BY eBay, would likely run afoul of US FEDERAL TRADE COMMISSION rules. As well, INDUSTRY CANADA could have a go at this as "a restriction of trade".

At this point eBay is coming to believe that it is above the law- or is able to pass 'laws' of its own.

Like any other LARGE corporation that gets to this point- the writing is on the wall. And, sadly, it's time to really seriously consider the alternatives.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Last I checked- the term "LEGAL TENDER" still had some meaning.

There was this thread on one forum, where someone was upse his landlord did not accept cash payments anymore.

It turns out that Legal Tender means that any government institution must accept cash. Private corporation does not have any such obligation.

Similarly ... if one accepts Mastercard, the MC merchant rules prevent them from discouraging customers using it. When I was buying the car, I wanted to pay for it with my cash-back MC. The Honda dealer refused because apparently they have to pay fees to MC. Then I called Mastercard and filed a complaint. In 2 weeks they called me back and said dealer's bank communicated with the dealer and they would accept my MC payment. Too bad I was not interested in their car anymore 🙂
Message 13 of 15
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
Last I checked- even the Government of Canada- IN NOW ALL Government OFFICES- absolutely flatly refuse to accept "CURRENCY" (LEGAL TENDER) for payment of taxes- INCLUDING GST !!!!

While a cheque, or debit IS accepted- the good old folding stuff is 100% declined.

Here in Toronto this is a reality! This issue has been discussed with a Lawyer- under the simple concept of a contract. If you offer consideration, and it is refused- do you have any other further obligation to tender other consideration?

Here is what the GOVERNMENT HAD TO SAY:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/newsroom/releases/2007/july/nr070706-e.html

Canada Revenue Agency changing payment counter policy

Ottawa, Ontario, July 6, 2007... The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) will no longer accept in-person cash payments at CRA payment counters across Canada, starting August 13, 2007. Canadians can continue to make payments at CRA payment counters by cheque, money order or debit card. Payments in cash can be made free of charge at financial institutions across Canada.

In response to the decreasing volumes of cash payments, the CRA commenced piloting a no currency policy in Tax Services Offices in Kelowna (BC), Penticton (BC), Toronto Centre (ON), Brandon (MB), and Trois-Rivières (QC). For the duration of the pilot, over 57,000 payments were received at the offices with only four instances of taxpayers making payments in cash. Given the positive results of the pilot project, the CRA will implement the no currency policy in all of its payment counters.

Between January and June of this year, the CRA received over 18.3 million payments. The majority of payments were made through financial institutions or by cheque. Cash payments continued to make up a small portion of total payments during this period, with only 0.3% of all payments made in cash.

The no currency policy will improve payment efficiency by directing Canadians to existing electronic banking channels that have proven themselves to be efficient and reliable. It will also improve safety and reduce risk for employees and the public at CRA offices.

Canadians have many options to make a payment to the CRA: in person at financial institutions, using telephone and Internet banking service, by preauthorized debit, sending payments by mail to CRA Tax Centres, or by cheque, money order or debit card at a CRA payment counter.

-------------------------------------------------------

Further to the LEGAL TENDER Question:
Currency Act

PART I: CURRENCY AND COINAGE
Legal Tender

(b) in notes issued by the Bank of Canada pursuant to the Bank of Canada Act intended for circulation in Canada.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Lina, governments notoriously violate their own laws 🙂 Not only in Canada.
Message 15 of 15
latest reply