Thrifting in Canada?

Are there any Canadian residents, or anyone whose thrifted or sourced in Canada? I need a bit of help. I'm currently in Canada on vacation, I'm struggling to find places to thrift. Primarily in Montreal/Ottawa. I'm from the US and my wife is from Montreal, where I'm currently staying with her family. Tomorrow we're heading to Ottawa to stay with a friend of my wife's for a day or 2, then back to Montreal. The language barrier isn't helping the matter, as well as none of her friends or family frequenting thrift or 2nd hands stores. When I google it, the thrift stores look like high end boutiques lol

Any direction would be greatly appreciated. My father-inlaw took me to a very small flea market yesterday, which was a bust. Are there any Goodwill, etc that I would be able to check out for some kind of deals? I'd hate to go back empty handed from an entire country. I feel bad enough already neglecting my ebay, while I'm away. I'd like to say I still accomplished something while on vacation. I'll take any help from my northern neighbors. Thanks

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Thrifting in Canada?

Former Ottawan here.

Salvation Army & Saint Vincent de Paul are both church based thrift stores. Don't overlook the SVdP in Hull/Gatineau on Eddy St.

Value Village is connected to the Diabetes Foundation but also has a mission to train the unemployed for the workforce. Both stores I know are suburban. A car is necessary.

Goodwill exists in a small way.

In Ottawa there is a United Church on Elgin St. with a good thrift store.

There is also Ottawa Neighbourhood Services, which is also a job training outfit, but it is chaotic and deep in the suburbs.

In French some of these would be called:

Armee du Salut

Village des valeurs.

Used in French is 'd'occasion' so magasin d'occasion. Vintage is 'friperie".

In Montreal, if you can try to speak French a little, most polite people (and those who love their language) will quickly switch to English if only to spare themselves the pain.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thrifting in Canada?

Also check Kijiji for both Ottawa and Montreal. Click on Garage Sales - when that comes up, type estate in the garage sale search.  It will give you all the estate sales in the area.

Check local papers for auctions, church bazaars and estate sales.

Good luck hunting for treasures.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply