Time for a New Thread! Sales Dead-Zone for Other Sellers???

I thought I'd post this here, as the Power Sellers' board needs a new topic, and because I think this subject is important for those of us who really work hard on our eBay reputations (pardon the length of the text, but chime in all!):

_________________________________________________________________________________________

hautehookup wrote:

I totally agree with EVERYTHING you said. As a new seller I feel so daunted at times by the lack of feedback despite eating a lot of the shipping costs. The shipping is my main problem and really frustrates me. I am not big enough to get the shipping discounts to get big. Massive catch 22. I think Ebay just needs to stop changing everything so the buyers are happy with the site and not getting tonnes of junk feeds of stuff they don't want. 

(My reply):   Yes, it was so  much easier being a new seller and getting established on eBay even 2 years ago; 5 years ago it was a breeze.  I've been selling actively since 2008 and the game (and this site of course) has changed more in the past 12 months than it had in all  the previous years. 

I can honestly say I've tried virtually everything eBay has made available to me to increase sales - free shipping promos, discounted prices, email promos, discounted US/Int'l shipping, more photos, etc. etc., and yet I'm getting complete "dead zones" where sales are concerned, the past 3 weeks being a case in point.  This is new - it almost never occurred previously.  

The suggestion made by many on these boards, to roll shipping costs into item prices, to me is counter-intuitive: we Canadians also have to compete with lower U.S. item prices, so where do higher item prices get us - nowhere.  Buyers are looking for the best price overall.  I lose in shipping discounts on almost every transaction already, and I've lowered my prices somewhat over the last year, but neither has made a significant difference.  I've got Canadian TRS status, but that doesn't help my visibility where the U.S. is concerned (and 90% of my buyers are American). 

If I had to put my finger on the two major changes that are most affecting smaller sellers at the moment I would  say the swamping by millions of free listings (don't forget that also means free listings every month for eBay stores the size of Target), and those "Feeds".  

Of the two, I think the "Feeds" are ultimately going to be the biggest long-term game changer.  Buyers will stop using searches (why bother?) as eBay's computer algorithms get better and better at personalizing these Feeds.  And GTC listings will drop off the radar. 

However, let's not miss the forest while staring in disbelief at the trees!  Without sounding like a conspiracy theorist, my personal view (and it's just that), is:

1)  I imagine eBay must have been obliged to agree to a number of radical changes in order to seal the deal with big sellers such as Target.  These sorts of sellers have legions of employees who can list, list, list, keeping everything new and fresh on the Feed; and

2)  I suspect Target and other big players told eBay they wouldn't come on board until the site is more friendly to their own needs, i.e. clean up all the "mom & pop" yard-sale sellers' acts, tighten rules, streamline (or better still - eliminate!) the need for direct communication between buyers and sellers, automate returns, etc. etc. etc.  In other words, make it look like a big eCommerce site that such huge retailers can feel comfortable with.

Whether eBay is cognizant of it or indeed whether it cares, I expect Target and other such retailers will use eBay for their own purposes too, to test out the viability of online sales until they're ready to set up their own sites. 

Still, I think eBay should  care.  And here's my pitch for the small seller (anybody listening?): 

In the long run, it's the millions of individual sellers who use eBay's site that are here because they can't afford to sell through their own sites or would never get the same visibility elsewhere.  What if they begin to fail, or trickle away to other, more comfortable sites?  I think eBay is putting too many eggs in one basket in its starry-eyed effort to cater to huge retailers by drastically altering its policies and its site.  Pierre is right that eBay doesn't give a hoot which seller it is that makes the sales, for now at least, but what if some of those big sellers have agendas of their own for the future that don't include eBay? 

Watch out Canadian sellers - as 'bb' said earlier, life is going to get tougher here.  I will now step down from my soapbox...

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

I am not big enough to get the shipping discounts to get big

I wonder what hautehookup meant by that?

As far as I know, shipping discounts are available to all sellers. Does she mean the discounts from PO prices when Paypal labels are used? Possibly she is using UPS or other courier services, which do have discounts for high-volume customers. And of course it is possible to buy discount mint postage here on eBay.

Was she referring to TRS/PS status?

Those discounts are based on number and value of sales plus DSRs, and have nothing to do with shipping discounts, to my knowledge. There are TRS' with quite low feedback numbers and high-feedback sellers who are not TRS.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

I am not big enough to get the shipping discounts to get big

I wonder what hautehookup meant by that?

As far as I know, shipping discounts are available to all sellers. Does she mean the discounts from PO prices when Paypal labels are used? Possibly she is using UPS or other courier services, which do have discounts for high-volume customers. And of course it is possible to buy discount mint postage here on eBay.

Was she referring to TRS/PS status?

Those discounts are based on number and value of sales plus DSRs, and have nothing to do with shipping discounts, to my knowledge. There are TRS' with quite low feedback numbers and high-feedback sellers who are not TRS.

I wondered about that comment too.  It's not clear what was meant, but I assumed she was referring to larger retailers who can negotiate bulk shipping, or some such thing. 

As for the sales situation, it's been uncommonly slow now for almost a month for me at least - two small sales earlier this week, and one offer today.  Perhaps I'm being a bit paranoid, but something seems different about this slump.  It's longer and stranger than the occasional quiet week here and there I used to have. 

What signals to me that something other than holidays or normal gaps is occurring is that items which would have sold quickly a few months ago (or, an eon ago in 2011, when things still seemed predictable) are now just sitting for weeks on end.  It's been hard not to get discouraged. 

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I haven't been listing much on this ID recently, partly because I'm trying to reduce my stock prior to retiring and moving to BC. I am NOT planning to ship 3000 cheap paperbacks at $1.00 a pound!

But on my stamp selling ID, things have been gangbusters. And my sales are to sellers, buying discount postage. I've even got some US sellers buying US postage from me. I was startled frankly. But if sellers are buying (repeatedly) postage, they must be shipping something.

BTW, I enjoy your take on selling. I don't always agree, but you state your case clearly and dispassionately. Always a pleasure.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Thank you for your kind words.  I have to say your comments on these boards invariably stand out for their clarity, factual content and professionalism, often amongst some other pretty hot-headed posts.  I always look forward to seeing another post by you.

Sometimes even I don't agree with my own opinionsSmiley Surprised.  This is usually (hopefully!) after the fact of course, but I find the more input there is here, the more the light changes on some subjects. 

BTW, I can wholly sympathize concerning shipping books.  My husband and I moved to NS from Victoria, BC two years ago, dragging (well not literally) nearly 2000 books along with us.  These were mostly hardcover, so you can imagine the cost of moving a life's accumulation of two bookworms.  Still, I don't regret it.  Now those books are not only accessible for reading, but make for intriguing décor, especially when one has very little other decent furniture.

BTW if I'm permitted, I'll put in a word for Bekins Moving here.  They moved all our belongings, including books, and nary a scratch.  Their crew's packing job at the Victoria end was a thing of awe -- an entire house-full of stuff neatly all neatly and logically tucked into 3 cube-like containers within 4 hours with hardly a cubic foot of space to spare.  I still don't know how they did it. 

If you had moved a couple of years ago, I would have loved to have tea with you at the Empress.  It's over-rated and over-priced, but still a "must-do" once you're there. 

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

But on my stamp selling ID, things have been gangbusters. And my sales are to sellers, buying discount postage. I've even got some US sellers buying US postage from me. I was startled frankly. But if sellers are buying (repeatedly) postage, they must be shipping something.

Can't stop yakking today...

On reading this, a statement by someone who lived through the dirty 30's came back to me.  She said: "You couldn't sell anything then that wasn't a necessity of life, but people were looking for anything that had more value than paper money". 

I wonder if gold has become so prohibitively expensive for many people, and cash on the verge of crashing at any moment, that people in the US are starting to buy anything of alternative value they can get their hands on. 

I imagine postage stamps always will have value, whether face value or collector's value.  It's funny, even though postage stamps were at one time accepted in lieu of currency, have stamps ever been devalued by inflation to the extent paper money has?  Maybe this explains the frenzy of stamp-buying by sellers: they expect those stamps may be worth a lot more soon.  You might want to keep some of the best for yourself!

Just another one of my loonie theories (pardon the pun).

Message 6 of 6
latest reply