Tips on selling small electronics

I have an iPad mini received as an award but I would like sell it and put the money toward one with more storage.  I know I should send it at least Expedited preferably Xpress of course, with a signature required.  The item is worth about $320.

I should probably sell it in cellophane, I'll take take lots of pics as usual.  I'm just terribly afraid of fraud, I know it's rare though.

Please, tell me if I'm missing something.  Is shipping the way I suggested all I can do to protect myself?  Besides weeding out buyers with strikes etc.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Some posts just get missed, no need to take it personally.  When that happens, it is a good idea to reply to your own post and 'bump' it to the top of the page again so that it is seen.

For the future..assuming the rules are the same...paypal and ebay require a signature when an item plus shipping totals more than $750U.S. so a service with delivery confirmation such as expedited would have been fine for both Canada and the U.S.  I probably wouldn't sell an item like that outside of Canada just because electronics do tend to have a higher rate of fraud.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

We do know each other well. Some go back a decade. It is a poorly accessed board. We do enjoy "fresh meat". I can honestly say that I did not see your original post.

Basic rule of thumb is to not list anything you can't afford to lose. That goes to risk tolerance. Some of us, me, have a very high risk tolerance as to me it is purely business.

Others have a very low risk tolerance as things are more personal to them.

Do not mistake being a veteran of the eBay wars and boards with intolerance or lack of, well, anything. I have been doing this for too long and it was last summer that I accepted a whole new way of doing pictures.

"Close knit" I am not so sure about. More like a high tolerance level.
Photobucket

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Not sure why I didn't get any help here.  Was the clique out for coffee?  For those anxiously awaiting an update, it was purchased from Staples and came with the shipping order so I took it back and put the store credit toward the iPad I did want.  So, not quite selling electronics on eBay, whew.  Because, I just really do not want to go there.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Some posts just get missed, no need to take it personally.  When that happens, it is a good idea to reply to your own post and 'bump' it to the top of the page again so that it is seen.

For the future..assuming the rules are the same...paypal and ebay require a signature when an item plus shipping totals more than $750U.S. so a service with delivery confirmation such as expedited would have been fine for both Canada and the U.S.  I probably wouldn't sell an item like that outside of Canada just because electronics do tend to have a higher rate of fraud.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

lol  Thank you pjcdn!  I said something sort of rude once in a post and probably lost points there.  It was mostly a misunderstanding but in general, this board has a small and close knit group of posters, some just incessantly pat each other on the back and joke back and forth.  Great for them, not so much for the new comer.  Of course the actual information gleaned here, no matter, is invaluable. 

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

We do know each other well. Some go back a decade. It is a poorly accessed board. We do enjoy "fresh meat". I can honestly say that I did not see your original post.

Basic rule of thumb is to not list anything you can't afford to lose. That goes to risk tolerance. Some of us, me, have a very high risk tolerance as to me it is purely business.

Others have a very low risk tolerance as things are more personal to them.

Do not mistake being a veteran of the eBay wars and boards with intolerance or lack of, well, anything. I have been doing this for too long and it was last summer that I accepted a whole new way of doing pictures.

"Close knit" I am not so sure about. More like a high tolerance level.
Photobucket
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Thanks mr.elmwood, great points and info, as always. 

Message 6 of 6
latest reply