UGH!!! I've already spent 2 hours on this...

whoscloset
Community Member
I made a one-time payment on my eBay account for US$1,625.24 as payment for December's fees. I used my PayPal Mastercard (debit card) so I would get the cashback.

The payment completed today for US$1641.49...although my eBay account still says I only submitted $1625.24. eBay says PayPal charged the extra $16.25 and PayPal says it was ebay. Either way it looks like I'm out $16.25.

I've already spent 2 hours on the phone with reps from both trying to straighten it out, with zero luck. I think they've probably won on this one as I'm sick of wasting my time.

VERY FRUSTRATING!
Monique

Himalayan Salt Lamps - A Guide to Purchasing

Monique

Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Can you do a chargeback on a Paypal Mastercard? They are administered by a 3rd-party bank.

Are you on 1% cashback or 1.5%? Strange that the extra charge is 1% exactly.

Ann
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

I'm not 100% sure this is the right answer, but it's a good educated guess:

It looks like it's the 1% cash back that PayPal/eBay have managed to bungle.

Going through the PayPal help system, I noticed the following statement:

"Please note: Cash Back Bonuses will be awarded for payments of eBay fees for Preferred customers only."

(This is found under the question "Can I pay my eBay fees with my PayPal debit card?")

This seems to be a new rule and may be that in implementing it there is double-dipping going on by eBay and PayPal not being on the same page.

Looks like another prime example of why PayPal and eBay keep getting nailed with class action lawsuits.

I would try contacting ericj@paypal.com as he seems to be the latest pink who handles fubars like this on the PayPal message board. If he doesn't respond then try posting on the PayPal board itself to see if you can shake others with the same issue out of the tree. I wasn't kidding about the class action lawsuit, this is exactly the kind of things that get PayPal and eBay dragged into court repeatedly and they hopefully will have learned to try to head it off at the pass.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Hmmm, I didn't notice that. LOL

I'm on 1.5%. They did give me my cashback which was a little over $24.00.

I thought about the chargeback and had PayPal send me the info. Here is their e-mail:

Thank you for contacting PayPal with your concern.

To file a dispute for a purchase made with your PayPal Debit Card, Virtual Debit Card, or UPS Shipping label, you must first complete a Chargeback Affidavit Form. This form must be completed online at the PayPal website, printed, signed, and then mailed.

Before mailing the completed affidavit, MasterCard requires that you attempt to contact the merchant to allow them the chance for resolution. Please document your attempts on the affidavit.

The Chargeback Affidavit Form can be found by following these steps:

1. Log in to your account at https://www.paypal.com
2. Copy and paste the link https://www.paypal.com/wf/f=dc_unauth into
your address bar.
3. Click "Affidavit of Disputed PayPal ATM/Debit Card Transactions."
4. Complete the form.
5. Click "Preview this form" at the bottom of the affidavit to view the
completed form before printing it.
6. Click "Print Form."

· Once the form is printed, the customer's signature is required to complete the form
· The form must be completed in its entirety prior to mailing
· All fields are required unless indicated as optional
· The form will be returned via mail if not entirely completed

Mail to:

PayPal
Attn: PayPal Debit Card Department
P.O. Box 45950
Omaha NE 68145-0950
USA

In order to process this investigation in a timely manner, we must receive the affidavit within the first 60 days from the date of the transaction.

Thanks again for writing, and thank you for being part of the PayPal community.

Sincerely,
Patricia
PayPal, an eBay Company

Nice long run-around process...then I don't know how ebay will take it. Don't want to get cut off. GRRRRRR
Monique

Monique

Message 4 of 9
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Monique... bring the whole situation with you on Sunday if you are going to be in Cambridge.

You may be able to get faster response.

Bill treasure-pot

Bill

Message 5 of 9
latest reply

funkywatch
Community Member
I think I know what happened as I monitor my Paypal account very closely.

You pay your eBay fees in CDN$, correct?

eBay puts the transaction through using the current (grossly exagerrated)exchange rate on the day of the transaction.

About a week later, Paypal "clears" the transaction in your account, at which point you are credited with the 1.5% Cashback.

However, if the exchange rate has changed by that time (always does) the transaction is booked at the NEW current rate.

Since our Loonie has been on a downward stretch, they are now charging you a larger US$ amount for the same CDN$ value. I have yet to find instances where they do it the other way around.

Another fine example of the pleasures to do business with Paypal.

My advice to you is: Use a canadian Credit Card that gives you decent "points" that are valuable to you and use that card to pay your eBay fees. Rack-up the points and get yourself a nice trip to the South next year, and avoid getting shafted by Paypal "Policy"...

Anyone else has noticed this?

eric
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Thanks Eric, but that's not it. I have my ebay account in US funds and pay it with my US $ PayPal funds.
Monique

Monique

Message 7 of 9
latest reply

momosworld
Community Member
Monique,

Do you have a PayPal or eBay account rep? let them take care of it, Ive never heard of a fee unless its late fees?

Bill, Whats going on in Cambridge? Just a little snooopy 🙂

Moez

My mommy says i'm cool

Message 8 of 9
latest reply

treasure-pot
Community Member
Hi Moez;

C'mon down and find out first hand. :<)

Seriously, it's just a bunch of SW Ontario Powersellers that want to get together to discuss how we could possibly work together towards our mutual benefit. We all have similar issues (some more than others) and there might be ways that a common front can benefit us.

It would be great if you could wander down and visit. So far there are about 15 than we know plan to attend but that number could be changing,

If you are interested, email Al at fitzheueninternational@yahoo.ca and he'll be happy to give you all the lowdown (where, time, place, agenda, etc.)

Cheers!

Bill treasure-pot

Bill

Message 9 of 9
latest reply