UPLOADING PHOTOS

I cannot load my images to my auctions. It syas: The file size of your picture must be less than 7 MB. My pics do not exceed 8073kb?

I have never had this happen before, any ideas anyone?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

UPLOADING PHOTOS

Never mind, sorry to bother you. For some reason they loaded up on the slooooowwwww loader, thanks for your help.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

UPLOADING PHOTOS

If you are getting 7 MB files, the file size slows down uploading photos. Too much data to process. eBay will resize the images down to the eBay photo system maximum of 1600 pixels on the longest side which is about 0.5 to 1.0 MB.

There is no point in trying to upload and process a large image if eBay does not use it. So it is better to create images that are smaller and require less processing time giving faster upload times.

If you are using a digital camera, change the MP (megapixel) default setting on the camera from the maximum  to under 5 mp, preferably 2 or 3 MP. Older digital cameras (under 10 MP) can do 2, 3 MP but newer cameras (over 10 MP) seems to have just have 3 or 5 as their lowest setting. The camera will take pictures that have dimensions that will be more than adequate for the eBay recommended maximum of 1600 pixels on the longest side. Using 3 MP allows you to crop the image and still have a setting around 1600 mp.

Since you are selling trading cards and most likely are using a scanner, make sure that you are not scanning over 600 DPI. These result in large file sizes (MB) and large dimension (over 1600 pixels on the longest side).
 I would thing that 300 DPI or 400 DPI would be the maximum setting for a trading card at 3.5 x 2.5 inches. This would result in magnification of the card so probably 150 or 200 DPI would be better and not have magnification and still meet the eBay minimum of 500 pixels on the longest side.

Perhaps a sports card seller can comment on what setting they typically use for cards.

PS My post has terms like MP (megapixels), pixels, MB (megabytes), DPI (Dots per inch) which can be confusing to understand. I find DPI for scanners confusing but fortunately my Cannon scanner software allows me to switch from inches to pixels so I know what DPI setting to use to be around the 1000 to 1600 pixel size I want without calculating in my head all the time. Basic rule of thumb is the larger (inches) the item you want to scan, the lower the DPI you want to scan at.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

UPLOADING PHOTOS

Like I said above, I got them to load that night on the Basic function. Since that time, every pic has loaded as it normally does on the Standard function . They were pictures coming from a scanner, not a camera. I had never had that happen before except that night. Must have just been a temporary glitch at that time only. Thanks for the response anyway. It is much appreciated.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

UPLOADING PHOTOS

I'm also have problems loading my pictures using the standard function. I've been trying since yesterday. The basic function works, but I'm not able to zoom my photos in basic function. Must still be a glitch. I'll try again later.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply