Unfair First Ever Strike For Case Closed Without Seller Resolution

I have been selling on eBay for over 14 years & just got my first ever Strike For Case Closed Without Seller Resolution. The US buyer claimed they never received the item so they opened a Not Received Claim. I was in constant contact with the buyer & always responded to their messages. I told them I had never had a parcel lost to the US in over 14 years so just be patient & I am sure they would get it. I told them if they didn't receive it by a certain date that I would refund them. Instead of waiting the extra couple of days they escalated the claim. Before I could refund the person PayPal imediately removed the money from my account & refunded them back. Now I have a srike against me. Phoned customer service about it but that was a big joke. They always side with the buyer over the seller.

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

Oh dear.

The US buyer claimed they never received the item so they opened a Not Received Claim.

Okay.

I was in constant contact with the buyer

No.

Here is your error.

Instead of communicating directly with the buyer,you had to put your tracking number into the Dispute.

Without that, eBay which is dealing with the claim will automatically find for the buyer.

You might be able to appeal by giving Customer Service the tracking number showing that the item was delivered before or during the open Dispute.

If you didn't use tracking (technically Confirmation of Delivery which is a lower level of service) then you lose the case, but your shipping fees indicate that you use parcel services most of which are tracked.

At this point, while you should appeal to Customer Service, you should also contact the buyer and let him know that he can return the refund when his purchase arrives by using Paypal's Send Money service.  I find this works pretty well, because most people are honest.

This will not remove the Strike, but at least having some of your costs back will soothe the sting.

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

I don't send my jewelry tracked unless it is over a certain amount and very few buyers want to pay extra for tracking. So I know I have no leg to stand on. Just would have liked to refund the person on my own instead of PayPal jumping in.  I would then have got my fees back & no strike. You live & learn.  I did mention to the person that if they did receive the item to please pay me back.  Incidentally the address was to a P.O. Box number. Not sure if there is more chance of people not receiving to that or not.

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

You should contact the buyer to confirm a full refund has been received.

Also ask them (politely, the Canadian way!) to let you know once the item is received so you can re-invoice them through PayPal.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

I know all about this!

I sent a Sidney Crosby rookie card to the buyer, and he stole it, and eBay refunded him the money, and then they stole that money from my bank account without my permission.

There is nothing you can do about it. If you want to use eBay, you have to be aware that you can and will be ripped off, and eBay ALWAYS sides with the thief.

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

"Sidney Crosby rookie card to the buyer, and he stole it"

This transaction took place early this year.  There is no evidence of anyone stealing anything.

Reading the negative feedback you received and your reply, it is a case of you sending a $300 item without tracking and the buyer claiming non receipt.

In such instance, the buyer will always get refunded by PayPal and the amount taken away from you (chargeback).

It does happen to all sellers (myself included) from time to time since I also ship without tracking.  When it happens, I apologize the the buyer and provide full refund immediately.  I lost an $800 item (scarce stamp) a few years ago in the mail.  I refunded the buyer and absorbed the loss like a man.

Insulting buyers will not solve the problem.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Oh he stole it trust me. The proof is that he messaged me and said "This is a sweet Sidney Crosby card". Also, this guy has had many scams going on over the past few years on Kijiji selling and stealing vintage hockey cards, and he has been reported to the RCMP by many people. That is why he has not been selling anything on eBay for the past while. So don't yip your lips about something you know absolutely nothing about.

I was going to take an airplane to his city and knock on his door and punch him in the face. But the police officer told me that was a bad idea and that I would be charged. So I said I will think about it. I will wait a few more years and then pay someone else to go get my card back. I never forgive, and I never forget.

It is too bad that eBay does not care about their sellers, and they side with thieves. Maybe I should become an eBay thief since eBay supports it. Remember, this is eBay's game, and they make the rules. If it is possible for buyers to legally become thieves, then it is eBay's fault. This seems to be the number one complaint about eBay if you read the message board history. And this practice still occurs today! eBay has done nothing about it. Why? Because they make money from thieves.

"Insulting buyers will not solve the problem"

No it won't, but NOT insulting buyers will also not solve the problem. So you might as well insult them.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

As you said, eBay makes the rules and the rules are very clear that if a buyer claims that they did not receive an item, a seller must show delivery confirmation in order to win the case. I'm really sorry that you lost money but you took a risk and you lost.  It would be nice if eBay took all messages etc into account each time they had to decide a case but with the volume that they do on this site, that isn't going to happen.  

Message 8 of 8
latest reply